• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ196

Rustbucket

I was told the other day by my OSO in Raleigh, NC, from now on the OCC boards will meet every two weeks since most of those guys are professionals and are contemplating whether or not to quit a job. And for you guys who are going to 196, try and get TDY orders after OCS since you won't be going to TBS until Jan. Two mo. w/out pay is going to suck, trust me!

Trev82

pilot
rustbucket

i haven't fully immersed myself in the myriad of USMC/Military acronyms so is TDY like a temporary duty station or is that TAD...the gunny in my office said upon graduation i will be coming back to SD and then be attached to the OSO office if thats the case, i'm assuming i'll be paid, wouldn't that be automatic? If Basic doesn't start till Jan and we finish in late nov. and go back to our respective abodes then obviously they're going to do something with us like hand us over to the OSO...If that is accurate is the pay at a 2nd LT or another pay grade?

Rustbucket

Yeah, TDY stands for Temp Duty. If your OSO will automatically get orders for you to return to work out of his office then awesome otherwise you would need to look for something to do till Jan. in the civilian sector. The aren't going to be paying you unless you are on active duty somewhere. Not everyone will get assigned somewhere. If you are able to get orders to your OSO then you will be paid at a 2nd LT rate. Normally what happens after OCS is that there is a 2wk space btw. OCS and TBS where you would use your accumulated leave from OCS before heading off to Camp Barrett, but in this case they just don't put you on active duty so they don't have to pay you. At least it's only 2mo and not 6 like it was a few classes ago!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
We don't call it TDY over here. It's TAD. You'll get funny looks and the enlisted guys will call you boot ass butterbars under their breaths if you call it TDY.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Trev82

pilot
two months this time? isn't bravo beginning like the first week of jan? We're going to have all of Dec and thats about it....

docholiday

What if you don't currently live near your OSO? Are you sh!t out of luck? Or can you work out of an enlisted office?

MasterBates

Doc-

Maybe ask around at the Senior Marine office @ NAS Kingsville, see if they can have you work for the Senior Marine. Or perhaps MATSG here at NAS Corpus.

Give you a good chance to see flight school, without being there. And REAL knowledges is power.

docholiday

Can you take and use your own underwear while at OCS? Cause the Underarmor ones are great for running but I don't want to buy a bunch if I can't use them.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
you can but just dont get some long ass boxers that hang below your PT shorts. We all just ended up using our little green shorts as underwear.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
you can but just dont get some long ass boxers that hang below your PT shorts. We all just ended up using our little green shorts as underwear.
I still wear the silkies as underwear ... love em.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
you could...but then you're screwed when they say take off the cammies and strip down to PT gear in the middle of the field. you'll definately pick up a few essays for having the turkey guts flapping in the wind

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
you could...but then you're screwed when they say take off the cammies and strip down to PT gear in the middle of the field. you'll definately pick up a few essays for having the turkey guts flapping in the wind

Thank you for that vital piece of information. Silkies it is.