• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ 193

foniks

Quick question. A buddy of mine was telling me that you have to earn your libo. is that true? and secondly, my oso never told me how long libo even was.
Rather than that, thousands have gone through OCC that were probably in the same mindset as the rest of us, just give it hell, that's all you can do.

Yes, you have to "earn" libo, in a sense. Liberty is a privilege, not a right. But you have to screw up pretty bad to blow it. It'll be about 24 hours. Hint: Spend it eating and sleeping. Not drinking.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
You'll get your libo after week three. Your staff will threaten to take it away from you the entire time you are there. They will, however, keep you playing games in the squad bay while the other platoons are securing for libo.

Libo is after inspection on saturdays. You will usually have libo from about 1600 on saturday till 1900 on sunday.

If you find yourself on probation your libo will be restricted.

As for OCS as a whole, just refuse to quit.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Rather than that, thousands have gone through OCC that were probably in the same mindset as the rest of us, just give it hell, that's all you can do.

No one ever goes to OCS with the intent on quiting...NEVER GIVE UP...no matter how bad it gets don't give up, its not a true representation of the real Marine Corps

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
If you find yourself on probation your libo will be restricted.

Just a little bit more on that - the first few weeks we were going crazy trying to figure out what the different levels of probation meant. Everyone gets libo no matter what level of probation you are on. The part that differs is what you're allowed to do. If you get 1 failure on anything graded, you get put on platoon probation. This doesnt really do anything to you except for a chit. On your 3rd failure you get put on company level probation. You are then restricted to the base for libo. You can leave the OCS field, but its pretty much only Q-Town that you can go to. This is also the same restriction put on when you are duty platoon. THen after 5 failures you are put on batallion probation. You cant leave the OCS field except to go to the chow hall. but you still get your libo and the time off like everyone else.

The way firewatch worked was we did 2 hour shifts instead of the usual 1 hour per night rotation. you had 2 per 2-hour shift throughout the entire libo. You could leave base and do whatever you wanted, just had to show up for your time slot. Sometimes you wont get it at all if it works out that way in the rotation (or whatever system your platoon/staff come up with). when you're duty platoon, you get an extra firewatch on the company quarterdeck. so thats 4 per 2-hour shift.

Hope that will clear up some questions that you will get once you're down there.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
You still have to tighten it out in the morning; the rack'll be sagged, but you won't have to redo it.

Dunno, I slept in sweats under my poncho most of the time I was there (in June! sucks to be next to the fan); as it gets colder I might rethink that.

Hey gents,
Good luck at OCS just remember, never; ever ever give up. That's all you need to know, not a PT plan, a gear list, a study sheet.

Semper Fidelis

Wagner83

Last question I swear. What's the deal with cell phones..can you bring them and throw them in contraband until libo, or is it just gonna be an ass chewing and inevitable pt?
Appreciate your help guys. Thanks

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
bring the phone, stash it in the contraband locker at pickup. Everyone does it.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
Sleeping on top of your covers on your rack will sig reduce time needed to make it. The drill instrusctors at boot camp got wise to this and made sure we slept between the sheets.