• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not Aviation Related...At The Mercy Of The Mods

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I've found the trick is (for a destructive dog), is a 2 mile run at a good pace EVERY DAY, and a dozen or two chew toys of different varieties (expensive, but worth it to keep em' occupied). Should chill them the hell out.

Course some breeds just have it in em'.

Angels

Contributor
I've found the trick is (for a destructive dog), is a 2 mile run at a good pace EVERY DAY, and a dozen or two chew toys of different varieties (expensive, but worth it to keep em' occupied). Should chill them the hell out.

Course some breeds just have it in em'.
We buy countless chew toys. The problem is devil dog buries them all in his elaborate tunnels he digs in the backyard.

Pags

N/A
pilot
only one man can fix all your troubles...

dog_whisperer.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend professional training. Mrs. Pags and I butted heads with the dog for awhile until we broke down and took him to Thee Doghouse* to be professionally trained. Expensive, but well worth every penny.

That being said, if there's anything I've learned over the past 2yrs of dog ownership, it's that a tired dog is a good dog. If that means 30min of a walk, 30min of fetch, or a 30min run...it's what's got to be done to keep the mutt in line.

*Thee Doghouse is in Va Beach and I highly recommend it to anyone in the area. Myself and numerous squadron counterparts have taken their animals their and now all swear by them.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I've got the simple solution to keep your dog from destroying the inside of your house.

Are you ready, because here it comes.

It's going to blow your mind.

Leave the dog outside. Problem solved.

Angels

Contributor
I've got the simple solution to keep your dog from destroying the inside of your house.

Are you ready, because here it comes.

It's going to blow your mind.

Leave the dog outside. Problem solved.
Wow! Why didn't we think of that?!! Then when we come home in Texas to 101 degree weather we can find a dead dog in the backyard. How do you think he had time to build the bomb shelter size hole in the backyard if he wasn't kept outside most of the day? So let me get this straight, if your kid (if you have a kid) broke a few things around the house you would keep it outside too? :icon_tong

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Wow! Why didn't we think of that?!! Then when we come home in Texas to 101 degree weather we can find a dead dog in the backyard. How do you think he had time to build the bomb shelter size hole in the backyard if he wasn't kept outside most of the day? So let me get this straight, if your kid (if you have a kid) broke a few things around the house you would keep it outside too? :icon_tong

I don't have a child. A dog is not a child. I don't even know why you brought that analogy up.

A doghouse provides shade for the dog in hot weather and as long as the water is kept in a shaded place and refreshed every so often the dog will be fine. I've had plenty of outside dogs and I haven't come home to one that's died due to the heat.

Angels

Contributor
I don't have a child. A dog is not a child. I don't even know why you brought that analogy up.

A doghouse provides shade for the dog in hot weather and as long as the water is kept in a shaded place and refreshed every so often the dog will be fine. I've had plenty of outside dogs and I haven't come home to one that's died due to the heat.
There are some crazy pet parents who would beg to differ. We don't have kids so right now in a sick and twisted way they are our kids. That is good info on the last part though. Wasn't sure how long he could stay outside before getting heat stroke or something. Haven't lived in this climate before.

MasterBates

Dogs =/= Kids

You are beginning to sound like a certain crazy cat lady I know.. To whom furry things are her kids.

Just sayin.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
There are some crazy pet parents who would beg to differ. We don't have kids so right now in a sick and twisted way they are our kids. That is good info on the last part though. Wasn't sure how long he could stay outside before getting heat stroke or something. Haven't lived in this climate before.

I've had a few outside dogs and the main thing they need is water. It's nice to refresh it so it doesn't get hot or try to keep it in the shade. A doghouse in a treeless backyard is good to if the dog has a reason to go in there.

If you're there everyday then it'll be fine outside.

As far as chewing and stuff though....I would say get some training for it. That's a tough call because a dog who isn't a puppy is much more difficult to train to not do things.

It's also okay to bring it when you're home and can observe what it's doing.

Like the dogs that I had when I was living in Georgia we kept outside and then we let them into the kitchen through the back door. We had them trained to not leave the kitchen and they never did.

I would suggest perhaps asking your dog's vet about what you might do to modify they behavior aspects of your dog. Ask a lot of questions and be specific about what problems you have.

I'll stress it again though because it can't be stressed enough. If you leave em outside give them plenty of cool water. :D

Angels

Contributor
Dogs =/= Kids

You are beginning to sound like a certain crazy cat lady I know.. To whom furry things are her kids.

Just sayin.
Crazy cat lady? You mean dressing your pets up, making them homemade kitty/doggie treats, wanting your dog to be your ring bearer at your church wedding, wraping up their Christmas gifts and putting them under the Christmas tree and taking a family Christmas portrait with your pets isn't normal behavior?! :D
xmas pic black out.JPG