• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more SNA spots till Oct 2010?!

johnsmith3168

I am still skeptical. The Corps is spending a ton of money of the F-35 and some one will have to fly them. And without aviation the whole maneuver warfare kind of goes out the window unless they are going to start deploying AF pilots with the MEUs...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I heard the Marines are getting rid of Naval Aviators too. The AF will just be doing CAS after 2017. No more SNA spots after 2012.

Seriously!

I am still skeptical. The Corps is spending a ton of money of the F-35 and some one will have to fly them. And without aviation the whole maneuver warfare kind of goes out the window unless they are going to start deploying AF pilots with the MEUs...

This post, you reference it. I do not think it means what you think it does...

inigo.jpg

johnsmith3168

The whole point of the MEU is a force in readiness that can sustain itself anywhere in the world for up to 15 days. And the Corps philosophy of fighting is maneuver warfare which is quick and requires off balancing your enemy. To do that usually requires air craft, especially when the enemy out numbers us.

The harriers that are currently used are supposed to be replaced by the F-35. If the Corps is doing away with all aviators, and at the very least not replacing those who leave, then who is going to fly the F-35 down the road? What I am saying is that it just doesn't fit how the Marine Corps wants to fight and what the Marine Corps is tasked to do as its first function given in the 1947 National Security Act.

Futhermore, if it is true that the AF is taking over the responsibilites and the Marines wont have any aviators then when the Marines still need close air support it will have to come from somewhere. The only way for that to happen in a MEU (designed for rapid forward deployment) is to have the aviation element already integrated, ie planes flown by someone deployed with the MEU. So drawing out that conclusion, the AF personnel would have to be deployed with the MEU.

Bottom line and the point I am trying to make (albeit ineffectively) is that I dont see this happening. It is counter to what the Corps is supposed to stand for.

Unless he was being sarcastic, then yes, i did miss that one...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The whole point of the MEU is a force in readiness that can sustain itself anywhere in the world for up to 15 days. And the Corps philosophy of fighting is maneuver warfare which is quick and requires off balancing your enemy. To do that usually requires air craft, especially when the enemy out numbers us.

The harriers that are currently used are supposed to be replaced by the F-35. If the Corps is doing away with all aviators, and at the very least not replacing those who leave, then who is going to fly the F-35 down the road? What I am saying is that it just doesn't fit how the Marine Corps wants to fight and what the Marine Corps is tasked to do as its first function given in the 1947 National Security Act.

Futhermore, if it is true that the AF is taking over the responsibilites and the Marines wont have any aviators then when the Marines still need close air support it will have to come from somewhere. The only way for that to happen in a MEU (designed for rapid forward deployment) is to have the aviation element already integrated, ie planes flown by someone deployed with the MEU. So drawing out that conclusion, the AF personnel would have to be deployed with the MEU.

Bottom line and the point I am trying to make (albeit ineffectively) is that I dont see this happening. It is counter to what the Corps is supposed to stand for.

Unless he was being sarcastic, then yes, i did miss that one...

Devil Dog... Are you REALLY trying to explain how the Corps works to a bunch of guys who have had a whole lot more than your time at OCS and the one MCDP-1 discussion group and some MCfu at TBS that you have? Seriously now, you know better than that. :banghead_

johnsmith3168

So I definitely missed the boat on that one. Thats what I get for reading this at 1 am after a night out. Whatever...

And not everyone that reads these posts is so far along or will know what I was talking about...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
So I definitely missed the boat on that one. Thats what I get for reading this at 1 am after a night out. Whatever...

It's ok. Some people are angry drunks. Some are funny drunks. You're an analytical, overly serious drunk. We all have our crosses to bear.

And not everyone that reads these posts is so far along or will know what I was talking about...

You're right. Mr. Spock doesn't have shit on your impressive level of enlightenment on MAGTFery 101.