• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO's in the EA-18 G ???

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Brett327 said:
Well, at least it will handle like a Prowler with a good radar, a couple AMRAAMs and a decent backseat system. Let's not lose sight of the objective here: There's no 'F' in EA-18G.

Brett

One of those configurations was a pure hard kill SEAD setup. It would be nice to take the HARM shooters away from the VFA's and we take back over like in the ol' days, they can stick to the bomb dropping and buddy tanking. Something tells me that'll be a fight though.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Well, at least it will handle like a Prowler with a good radar, a couple AMRAAMs and a decent backseat system. Let's not lose sight of the objective here: There's no 'F' in EA-18G.

Brett

Don't get me wrong, a glass cockpit and a new airplane are a whole lot better than the mighty Prowler. It just seems that some people are having wet dreams that we are going to bomb and dogfight and generally just do cool stuff, and them do a little jamming on the side. Just trying to inject a little reality, just like you..... :icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
One of those configurations was a pure hard kill SEAD setup. It would be nice to take the HARM shooters away from the VFA's and we take back over like in the ol' days, they can stick to the bomb dropping and buddy tanking. Something tells me that'll be a fight though.
Not to get too far into the verboden realm of tactics, but a few relevant points (which will ultimately be revealed to you by your learned PTIs, my young padawan):

1. SEAD is rarely ever a "hard kill" mission - that would be DEAD, another animal all together.

2. If given a choice between HARM and another JX pod, I'll take the pod every time and twice on Sundays.

3. A strike planner will get much more utility/versatility out of an F-18 HARM truck (or CJ for that matter) than an EA-6B or EA-18G HARM truck.

4. The wild weasel concept you seem to be romanticizing really isn't a realistic tactic anymore. You can't out F-pole an SA-6 with a HARM. Retribution is nice, but it doesn't save your striker's bacon.

Good times,

Brett

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
I know about hard kill and soft kill SEAD, didn't know there was another term though for hard kill SEAD though. And yeah, jamming instantaneous, HARM shot takes time.

I'm not talking wild weasel missions at all, you misunderstood me. For my extremely limited knowledge on the subject, it was my understanding you had the HARM trucks with the jamming platform. And on this point, I'm completely going off the loadout descriptions, but from one loadout, there is no pods, only hard kill weapons which "seems" like they plan on the possibility of the G to become a HARM truck at times.

UINavy said that the VFA brief he received, that the E/F's would keep the HARM work. But that NAVAIR might be planning on spreading that around alittle more to include the G. And with the introduction of the ARGM? (HARM replacement) which has a better Pk , more bang for the buck.

The only reason I brought up Wild Weasel before was because I read about it during Vietnam and Gulf War I and was confused where that fit in with what we do. Now I have a better understanding of that.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Punk said:
I know about hard kill and soft kill SEAD, didn't know there was another term though for hard kill SEAD though. And yeah, jamming instantaneous, HARM shot takes time.

I'm not talking wild weasel missions at all, you misunderstood me. For my extremely limited knowledge on the subject, it was my understanding you had the HARM trucks with the jamming platform. And on this point, I'm completely going off the loadout descriptions, but from one loadout, there is no pods, only hard kill weapons which "seems" like they plan on the possibility of the G to become a HARM truck at times.

UINavy said that the VFA brief he received, that the E/F's would keep the HARM work. But that NAVAIR might be planning on spreading that around alittle more to include the G. And with the introduction of the ARGM? (HARM replacement) which has a better Pk , more bang for the buck.

The only reason I brought up Wild Weasel before was because I read about it during Vietnam and Gulf War I and was confused where that fit in with what we do. Now I have a better understanding of that.

Like Brett said, priorities will dictate loadouts. A pod is much more useful than a HARM. You will be introduced to all this during the Tactics phase at the RAG. And don't forget, even though the E/F guys will be the HARM truck, you will get to do all there planning and shot cards. Also, those loadouts are from Boeing, who may stand to make a few $$$ if the Navy decides to expand the EA-18G's capabilities.

BTW: I always felt that since the pilots don't bother with navbags since the they have an ECMO to carry one, we should have the pilot carry the books to the planning session.

Nothing like watching a pilot try to generate a jammer game plan for his Level III check. :D

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
SteveG75 said:
And don't forget, even though the E/F guys will be the HARM truck, you will get to do all there planning and shot cards.

and why aren't those slackers doing it themselves :icon_wink

gee, must be nice to have planning done for you :p

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
and why aren't those slackers doing it themselves :icon_wink

gee, must be nice to have planning done for you :p
That's what I always wondered. One of NAVAIR's great mysteries. Probably because they suck at it. You too will soon learn what it means to be a "smart" HARM shooter.

Brett

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Brett327 said:
That's what I always wondered. One of NAVAIR's great mysteries. Probably because they suck at it. You too will soon learn what it means to be a "smart" HARM shooter.

Brett

added to the list of things I'll change when I run this place :icon_wink

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Oh Brett, you're just jealous that we're online chatting with babes all day.
:D :D :D

That being said (did I say anything?), if you get a chance to go to the HARM SME course at China Lake, jump on it. You learn some cool stuff, plus you get to hang out with Mark Hoppus'(Blink 182) dad who's one of the HARM engineers there. :D

Brett

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Brett327 said:

Brett

1- Will the "Shocker" ;) be carrying the APG-73 radar, go straight to the AESA concept, or carry its own variant?

2- Is there an 'F' in VFAQ? ;)

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
TurnandBurn55 said:
1- Will the "Shocker" ;) be carrying the APG-73 radar, go straight to the AESA concept, or carry its own variant?

1. Going straight to the APG-79

2. We won't need you girls to protect us anymore, we'll be packing too ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:

1. AESA right out of the box (batteries & some assembly required)

2. I don't know how they're going to do the squadron designations. VAQ/VFAQ/VHMFICAQ???

Brett

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Brett327 said:
That being said (did I say anything?), if you get a chance to go to the HARM SME course at China Lake, jump on it. You learn some cool stuff, plus you get to hang out with Mark Hoppus'(Blink 182) dad who's one of the HARM engineers there. :D
interesting course, very informative, 'bout gouged my eyes out though with some of the topics covered. the married couple, interesting people for sure, best part of the course IMO, next to the little "tour"

S/F

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
interesting course, very informative, 'bout gouged my eyes out though with some of the topics covered. the married couple, interesting people for sure, best part of the course IMO, next to the little "tour"

S/F
That stuff wasn't half as bad as the HARM paste I had to eat at the Weapons School :eek: Try some HARM set-point math for getting really in the weeds.

Brett