• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO's in the EA-18 G ???

I was recently talking to someone from NAVAIR and was told the E-18G which will replace the EA-6B will be coming out for tests relatively soon. How long will it be before the Navy starts assigning people out of flight school for that platform???

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
'Shocker' (thats for you, Brett)
Thanks, good buddy. :D

Here's the plan: IOC is slated for 08-09 timeframe with the RAG and first G squadron getting jets within that period. The RAG will be split site, at least initially, and studs will go to Lemoore first to learn to fly the jet, then come up to Whidbey for the tactics. The transition is going to take place over many years (6-7), so the notion of all these ECMOs scambling for G seats is kind of a myth, albeit a humorous image to ponder. The new G squadrons are still going to need CAT I pilots and ECMOs, so there will be a small number of guys who do select that out of advanced. The plan is also to not cross-pollenate between the VFA and G model communities, so we have a bunch of Prowler weapons school guys that are currently or will be going through as Rhino RAG instructors for shore tours as part of the Fleet Introduction Team. More than you ever wanted to know? So, my guess is that folks who are going to be starting flightschool within the 06 and beyond timeframe may be enjoying a little "Shocker."

Brett

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, they've just canceled the EA-18 and they are going to replace the EA-6B with the newest EA-6C pictured below: ;)

Note the ECMO is the tail....he he he
ea6bflyr
img3.gif

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just Kidding....I was trying to find the "stretch" version of the Hornet...no luck. Here's the mock-up of the EA-18G (really just a F model with Jamming Pods).
ea6bflyr
Andrews,%202002%20F-18G-1.jpg

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Talking to a couple instructors around here, there are already Prowler pilots and ECMO's floating around Lemoore getting qual'd in the F. "Supposedly" the -G FRS will open in 2007.

The other rumor floating around is that the first couple batches of Growler/Shocker crews will be ex-Prowler first. They won't be taking wet-behind-the-ears fresh wingees into the platform until a good deal of the experienced to semi-experienced crews transition first.

Of course, I would take all the for a grain of salt.

PS: I already miss my HUD, even if it was a semi-POS anyways. :) Oh, and who's genius idea was it to stick the VSI where the pilot can't really see it. :icon_rage

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
Nice, very nice. I love the pic, especially the ECMO's position.
I love that there's a guy in the football - that made me laugh.

Here's (almost) the real deal (well, at least the pods are airborne).

Brett

Attachments

• EA_18G_flying.jpg
    EA_18G_flying.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 249

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Punk said:
PS: I already miss my HUD, even if it was a semi-POS anyways. :)

I didn't find my T-45C HUD to be very helpful during AVEWS... You're not missing much. :)

Punk said:
Oh, and who's genius idea was it to stick the VSI where the pilot can't really see it. :icon_rage

That's what ECMO 1's for! And for telling you which direction your director wants you to turn after your 3rd night trap during CQ and the boss is telling you to "FOLLOW YOUR DIRECTOR... HE'S THE GUY TO YOUR RIGHT..."

If you're in the 89A you can put the instantaneous vertical velocity on the FMS1 EADI display. I find myself chasing it though, so I usually turn it off.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Brett327 said:
I love that there's a guy in the football - that made me laugh.

Ha, I didnt' see that until you pointed it out. What would be the odds of getting 13 ICS switches in the proper position for prestart check?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dawgfan said:
Ha, I didnt' see that until you pointed it out. What would be the odds of getting 13 ICS switches in the proper position for prestart check?
Probably better than the chances of getting 13 ECMOs with their sh!t together for a 14 man ICS check-in.

Brett

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett,
Do you have the Photoshopped Hornet picture with multiple cockpits? I remember seeing that several years ago....Anyone....
ea6bflyr

ElCidAv8tor05

Any of you boys seen a VORTAC around here?
pilot
Does anyone know if the new Growler/"Shocker" is gonna be armed with HARMs or will it require assistance from another aircraft carrying HARMs? Every Mock-up I've seen of the G model shows it with jamming pods, spare tanks, and sidewinders, but no HARMs. Maybe just another Boeing oversight.

I kinda like the idea of a Prowler with 13 ECMOs in it. As if the pilot doesn't feel outnumbered as it is... Can you imagine trying to bring that b!tch aboard the boat? what with all that added weight (and 10 extra people screaming "holy sh!t we're gonna die!") Ahhh carrier aviation ...just gets more challenging everyday... hahah

-"Easy"

P.S. what % get the 13 ECMO "Uber-Prowler" hahaha jk