• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO's in the EA-18 G ???

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
ElCidAv8tor05 said:
Does anyone know if the new Growler/"Shocker" is gonna be armed with HARMs or will it require assistance from another aircraft carrying HARMs? Every Mock-up I've seen of the G model shows it with jamming pods, spare tanks, and sidewinders, but no HARMs. Maybe just another Boeing oversight.

During our community brief two weeks ago at VT-4 the Rhino Rep told us that some Rhinos were going to be Harm Buses.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
ElCidAv8tor05 said:
Does anyone know if the new Growler/"Shocker" is gonna be armed with HARMs or will it require assistance from another aircraft carrying HARMs? Every Mock-up I've seen of the G model shows it with jamming pods, spare tanks, and sidewinders, but no HARMs. Maybe just another Boeing oversight.

Maybe a single HARM, maybe, but no Sidewinders. The wingtips will be utilized by the sensor pods (the football on a Prowler). Also, AIM-120's can be carried on the intake stations.

One nice thing about the Growler is that it has 4 more stations than the Prowler, 2 on the intakes and 2 on the wings. And of course the AESA radar, ICAP III, etc etc.

One thing that still has the Pax River boys stumped is trying to get the pods supersonic qualified.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this what you're talking about, Fly?

Attachments

• f18.PDF
    303.8 KB · Views: 208

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Is this what you're talking about, Fly?

Thanks...I had seen that before, but I swear I saw an F-18 with multiple cockpits....Maybe I'm getting senile in my old age.
ea6bflyr

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fmr1833 said:
During our community brief two weeks ago at VT-4 the Rhino Rep told us that some Rhinos were going to be Harm Buses.
El Cid, yes the Shocker will carry HARM, typical loadout will probably be 1 or 2 HARM, 2 AMRAAM, 3 pods and drops on whatever remains, depending on the mission requirements.

Essentially, all Hornet models can carry HARM, ad for the record, they're called HARM trucks, not busses ;)

As for the supersonic pods, I'm not absolutely certain, but I'm pretty sure I read something at least a year ago stating that that milestone has been passed.

Brett

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator

Will it also have a gun like its superhornet cousin? I recognize it's not primarily a
fighter but it will need something to defend itself in case it ever it has to dance with a fighter/interceptor that it can't outrun and missiles are used up?

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I heard there are going to be more Growlers than Prowlers, and that will help alleviate some of the problems with 3 FO's competing for one seat. I think they're counting on normal attrition to take place and not having to sundown too many crew members. Not that I'm a big-picture Navy kind of guy...just stuff I've heard here and there.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
MarineAir said:
Will it also have a gun like its superhornet cousin? I recognize it's not primarily a
fighter but it will need something to defend itself in case it ever it has to dance with a fighter/interceptor that it can't outrun and missiles are used up?

Nope, no gun. It will be replaced by some PFM boxes for EW.

It will still have the AESA and AMRAAM's to defend itself, which is a hell of alot more than the Prowler can say for itself. Yeah, we're completely defenseless in this thing except for a our low altitude speed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
Nope, no gun. It will be replaced by some PFM boxes for EW.

It will still have the AESA and AMRAAM's to defend itself, which is a hell of alot more than the Prowler can say for itself. Yeah, we're completely defenseless in this thing except for a our low altitude speed.
Just wait until you do your first BFMC. You'll be surprised what a little jamming and a good post-merge scram can do vs. a Cat IV threat.

Brett

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It looks like they are still possibly looking at replacing the RATS with this:
pod-CU.jpg

Low-Drag Ram Air Turbines
rat-pod-for-ea-18g.jpg

Photo depict a model of the EA-18G as potentially equipped with the Ghetzler Aero-Power Ram Air Turbine in position.

From their website (http://www.ghetzleraeropower.com/ea-18g-pod.htm)

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Essentially, all Hornet models can carry HARM, ad for the record, they're called HARM trucks, not busses ;)

Thanks for the clarification! :eek:

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Ok, here is some gouge on EA-18G stores loading. Below are photos from a little booklet I got at a meeting I went to at Boeing. These are "Approved for Public Release SPR-109.03".

Basically, all EA-18G will have ALQ-218 wingtip pods.

Block 1 will be able carry ALQ-99 pods, HARM, AIM-120C, 480 gal drops, and TACTS pods for Fallon. The booklet shows seven planned configurations which may be all they plan on testing.

Follow on blocks will have the potential for (but are not yet funded) JSOW, JASSM (both A-G weapons), CCS pod (comm jammer), ALE-43 (bulk chaff dispenser) and ARS (aerial refueling system a.k.a. buddy store).

Attachments

• EA-18G1.JPG
    EA-18G1.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 107
  • EA-18G2.JPG
    EA-18G2.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 82

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Ok, here is some gouge on EA-18G stores loading. Below are photos from a little booklet I got at a meeting I went to at Boeing. These are "Approved for Public Release SPR-109.03".

Basically, all EA-18G will have ALQ-218 wingtip pods.

Block 1 will be able carry ALQ-99 pods, HARM, AIM-120C, 480 gal drops, and TACTS pods for Fallon. The booklet shows seven planned configurations which may be all they plan on testing.

Follow on blocks will have the potential for (but are not yet funded) JSOW, JASSM (both A-G weapons), CCS pod (comm jammer), ALE-43 (bulk chaff dispenser) and ARS (aerial refueling system a.k.a. buddy store).
That is one loaded up looking jet. Gee, I'll bet it flies just like a...Prowler?

Brett