• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO's in the EA-18 G ???

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
holy crap that's alot of junk

JSOW, me likey

first things first, how about some bigger engines to push all that stuff

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Punk said:
JSOW, me likey

first things first, how about some bigger engines to push all that stuff

Remember, that JSOW part is not funded yet.

And bigger engines burn more gas so you need more drops which cause more drag which burns more gas............

SteveG75

None
Brett327 said:
That is one loaded up looking jet. Gee, I'll bet it flies just like a...Prowler?

Brett

Yeah Brett, I agree. I spoke to some Pax River guys who did the F1 pod tests a while ago and they said it does fly like the family truckster with all that drag. Also, don't forget those big slab sided pods are canted out 7 degrees on the wing stations.

I highly doubt you will see the 2 drop - 3 pod - 2 HARM config much. I would think that it will probably be 2 drop - 3 pod or 2 drop - 2 pod - 1 HARM configs most of the time.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
That is one loaded up looking jet. Gee, I'll bet it flies just like a...Prowler?
Brett

Or maybe an F-16 HTS (AF Harm Truck).
ea6bflyr

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Did they move the cant out further for the EA-18?? Seems like it'd take a pretty major airframe change to move the cant out that much more.
It's likely a function of the BRU-32 parent rack adapter being modified vice where the pylon actually attaches to the jet.

IYAOYAS :D

Brett

SteveG75

None
UInavy said:
Did they move the cant out further for the EA-18?? Seems like it'd take a pretty major airframe change to move the cant out that much more.

OK, I could be wrong on the numbr of degrees. But look at an E/F from below. The pylons toe out to ensure weapons separation. The G will have the same issue since re-engineering the wing is out of the question.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
SteveG75 said:
Remember, that JSOW part is not funded yet.

And bigger engines burn more gas so you need more drops which cause more drag which burns more gas............

I realize both those

but honestly, why make the ALQ pods supersonic capable when the bird is gonna have a hard time making it that far with all that drag

and don't dash my hopes about the JSOW, I want to drop ordinance again :icon_tong

hey range control, what was the CEP of my last directed energy attack ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
I realize both those

but honestly, why make the ALQ pods supersonic capable when the bird is gonna have a hard time making it that far with all that drag

and don't dash my hopes about the JSOW, I want to drop ordinance again :icon_tong

hey range control, what was the CEP of my last directed energy attack ;)
You want JDAM, trust me.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
which we don't get to carry, that's not even in those plans that was posted on pg. 2
They'll work it in to the program - same hardware and more bang for the buck.

Brett

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Brett327 said:
They'll work it in to the program - same hardware and more bang for the buck.

Brett

I would've thought it would be next in line before the JSOW or JASSM

but I guess that's what the F.A.G.'s are for ;)

Lawman

None
What ever happened to the 600 Bags they were looking into. I remember Boeing talking about looking at those or CFT's as a way to stretch the legs out a bit further and make it more attractive as an export aircraft.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Just wait until you do your first BFMC. You'll be surprised what a little jamming and a good post-merge scram can do vs. a Cat IV threat.

Brett

Agreed. Quote from an NSAWC F-18 driver "Where were you guys, I never saw you?". And yes, we saw him...... :icon_smil

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
It looks like they are still possibly looking at replacing the RATS with this:
pod-CU.jpg

Low-Drag Ram Air Turbines
rat-pod-for-ea-18g.jpg

Photo depict a model of the EA-18G as potentially equipped with the Ghetzler Aero-Power Ram Air Turbine in position.

From their website (http://www.ghetzleraeropower.com/ea-18g-pod.htm)

Talked to a VAQ Pax River Test guy at a party a few months ago and I asked him about the stress on the pods when they are canted on the EA-18. His response "I don't know, and no one else seems to know either. Kind of funny, huh?" I asked him how it handled with all the junk hanging off "just like a Prowler"...... :(

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
Talked to a VAQ Pax River Test guy at a party a few months ago and I asked him about the stress on the pods when they are canted on the EA-18. His response "I don't know, and no one else seems to know either. Kind of funny, huh?" I asked him how it handled with all the junk hanging off "just like a Prowler"...... :(
Well, at least it will handle like a Prowler with a good radar, a couple AMRAAMs and a decent backseat system. Let's not lose sight of the objective here: There's no 'F' in EA-18G.

Brett