• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New "Supe" setting new policies

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that this food shortage issue has been a long term issue?

Yes, but not to the extent of the article and like I said, there were other sources of food should we be hungry. And is wasn't so much a shortage as guys would just have to scavenge other tables. I think things are a bit worse now since they're renovation King Hall and Dahlgren is the replacement. When we had rolling tray with the food carts, just before the renovation began, things were as good as they could ever be. I agree though, mids can be a whiny bunch, but their complaints usually aren't unwarranted. Oh, don't trust anything the Baltimore Sun writes, too.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yeah - especially as a plebe... I would actually argue that in the summertime, more restrictive liberty rules and requirements for uniforms would actually benefit the town of Annapolis more. TOURISTS love the middies in uniform, and tourists will be the greatest during weekends...

Yeah definitely. The most impact happens really to City Dock, which is just one voice in Annapolis, but mids in uniform go a long way down there.

It's weird, when you are MIDN it seems like the town totally revolved around you and the academy, so it seemed obvious that we generate a huge amount of income for Annapolis.

In reality, Annapolis is a large thriving town on its own, in fact alumni probably pump far more dollars into the town than mids.

phrogpilot73

Oh, don't trust anything the Baltimore Sun writes, too.
I never have, and never will... And I've lived in this area off and on for over 19 years...

In reality, Annapolis is a large thriving town on its own, in fact alumni probably pump far more dollars into the town than mids.
Yup - and I'm just as guilty as other alum... Especially if it says "Navy" and might be warmer/cooler/wick more sweat/look good/be fun at the tailgaters...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I am sure that the Brigade puts some money into the city, but I don't think it is as big a chunk that it seems like when you are a MIDN.

I think that would depend on which part of Annapolis you're talking about. DTA, hell yeah, the mall, a good bit, Harbor Center was growing in popularity when I was there but I doubt too much. Granted, that's not the whole town, but when you look at the bartabs mids could throw down during the week, plus odds and ends they buy, that adds up to a lot of $$ lost.

I would agree that the larger portion of the money in the town comes from people who are there for support of their mids. How many times did you see the parents/relatives/etc lugging huge ass bags around from the "neat" shops on the water. It'll be interesting to see if the new rules effect that at all.

Rubiks06

pilot
Food was always an issue while I was there too. They were always running out on nights that there were good meals. Chicken fried steak, admiral tso's chicken, and changas. I would always get a good laugh when they would roll the tuna / egg cart out because people would literally tackle each other to get to them. The supply types that worked in King Hall always seemed to wonder where it was all going until they stood in the doorways and watched all the mids leaving with arm loads of food. So after fifteen minutes into the meal people are yanking food off the tables and taking it back to their rooms makes it hard for the people who show up a little late from practice or from study groups to get food. I dont know if this is still the cause but im inclined to believe that they are planning for ample food they just aren't counting on the doggy bags. As for the moldy bread, if there are only a few bags of moldy bread out of the hundreds they put out on the tables, i think they are doing well.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
hungry_hippos.jpg

Most dangerous animal in the world...

phrogpilot73

The supply types that worked in King Hall always seemed to wonder where it was all going until they stood in the doorways and watched all the mids leaving with arm loads of food.
I agree that this is an issue, and it makes it difficult for someone to plan. I do know that they are no longer allowed to remove anything more than 1 piece of fruit. That was one that my mids tried to bitch to me about, and I told them "what do you think you're allowed to do in the fleet?"

And again - they no longer have Chimichangas. Criminal.

BRM21o

I'm at USNA right now and the amount of food has dropped off significantly since last year. They should be fixing that next week. The parents mafia are the ones responsible for getting the article published. The food sucks, but when hasn't it? The less you eat, the cheaper the bar tab

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I heard from the grapevine that she was a CDR. Don't know which one, but of course, it is a rumor. Personally, I think some of the crackdowns are good for the place. After the last Supe, things went the way of political correctness and singing. This new guy sounds pretty tough; something that's been lacking in the leadership for some time.

Of course he is tough. He's a classmate of mine!

That being said, I spent many nights over the wall, and I'd probably be heading over the wall if I were there now.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was one that my mids tried to bitch to me about, and I told them "what do you think you're allowed to do in the fleet?"
Umm, go into the galley and make yourself a fried egg sandwhich when you get off watch, or grab the left-overs out of the reefer.....duh.

phrogpilot73

Umm, go into the galley and make yourself a fried egg sandwhich when you get off watch, or grab the left-overs out of the reefer.....duh.
Good point... Marines on the Big Deck Amphibs aren't given the same luxury. I once got my ass chewed by the XO of the ship because I was taking a plate full of french fries out of the wardroom for me and my roommates to munch on while watching "The Sopranos".

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good point... Marines on the Big Deck Amphibs aren't given the same luxury. I once got my ass chewed by the XO of the ship because I was taking a plate full of french fries out of the wardroom for me and my roommates to munch on while watching "The Sopranos".
He was probably getting ready to sit down and watch Sex and the City Season 3 and wanted the fries for himself. Dirty, dirty, shoes.

MasterBates

Better than the boat I was on. They locked the pantry after 2200 or so. So unless you wanted crackers, you were SOL and ate from the vending machine.

(we normally were flying during midrats, and the food they saved for you, was locked in the pantry, friggin chops)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Better than the boat I was on. They locked the pantry after 2200 or so. So unless you wanted crackers, you were SOL and ate from the vending machine.

(we normally were flying during midrats, and the food they saved for you, was locked in the pantry, friggin chops)

that way they can be sure no one will steal the strawberries.