• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New "Supe" setting new policies

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Okay, saw people bitching about food. Had to chime in.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/aug/25/citadel_puts_its_kitchen_back_grade_a_sh14009/

Glad to see that my beloved alma mater isn't the only one experiencing problems with the chow. The shittiness of the food there was legendary. So, when the portions were good, I often had a PB&J instead of the main course... It was downright terrible..

The one time I visited USNA, (it was over Christmas Break, so the Brigade wasn't in session) I was dumbfounded by the size of the mess hall. I'm impressed that the government is even capable of running such an undertaking. Does the entire brigade eat at once? Or is it divided by regiment/battalion? I think the problem lies with the inherent difficulties in feeding soo many people at one time. I don't pretend to have the slightest inkling of how the system works there, but having had to eat three meals a day with 2,000 other people in the same room, I can certainly understand where there might be a problem if someone drops the ball. There were many a Saturday morning inspection where the corps had no breakfast because some prick up in the food contractor's office had dropped the ball and forgot to read our training schedule. I'm sure it's the same with every communal DFAC at the senior military academies.

phrogpilot73

Does the entire brigade eat at once? Or is it divided by regiment/battalion? I think the problem lies with the inherent difficulties in feeding soo many people at one time.
Right now, I believe that they don't because they're using King Hall & Dahlgren Hall as King Hall is being rennovated. HOWEVER, prior to the rennovation as well as after the rennovation - the entire Brigade will eat there at once, all 4,000 of them. I'm sure the logistics is a nightmare. However, they've done it successfully for years (when I was there, I never wanted for food and nearly ate myself into oblivion youngster year), so it's curious that there's only issues recently...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
You have to consider that the per diem rate associated with 3 meals/day for each Midshipman is ridiculously low, so King Hall is already strapped for enough cash to feed every one. Throw in complaints about all the fried food and general lousy quality, as well as people not eating in King Hall for various reasons, and you have a recipie for cutting back on quantity to improve quality. The brigade is (or was, as my information is slightly dated) also about 200-400 stronger than it traditionaly was, but the funding never really caught up with the numbers while I was there.

Don't even get me started on the sewer line rupture in King Hall my 2/c year. That shit was nasty.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Right now, I believe that they don't because they're using King Hall & Dahlgren Hall as King Hall is being rennovated. HOWEVER, prior to the rennovation as well as after the rennovation - the entire Brigade will eat there at once, all 4,000 of them. I'm sure the logistics is a nightmare. However, they've done it successfully for years (when I was there, I never wanted for food and nearly ate myself into oblivion youngster year), so it's curious that there's only issues recently...

We all eat at the same time, (minor exceptions for athletes with conflicting practices - though this has been DRASTICALLY reduced as well and watch-standers excluding) though right now at different places. Dahlgren Hall (the old ice skating rink) is where about 2/3 of the Brigade currently eats, and the other 1/3 eats in the newly opened wing of King Hall by Mitscher, though this is recent - it used to be the non-renovated portion by 5th wing. The 6th wing side is to be opened mid-September I believe.

Yes, it's a logistics nightmare. We have a giant tent outside Dahlgren where they don't cook (but store?) the cooked food before meals. Probably why most meals are Lukewarm at best. I'll try to get a picture of it, I live right by it in the forward 6th Wing Backshaft.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
You have to consider that the per diem rate associated with 3 meals/day for each Midshipman is ridiculously low, so King Hall is already strapped for enough cash to feed every one. Throw in complaints about all the fried food and general lousy quality, as well as people not eating in King Hall for various reasons, and you have a recipie for cutting back on quantity to improve quality. The brigade is (or was, as my information is slightly dated) also about 200-400 stronger than it traditionaly was, but the funding never really caught up with the numbers while I was there.

Don't even get me started on the sewer line rupture in King Hall my 2/c year. That shit was nasty.

Last year they brought up this point. I recall they said it was 6 dollars per meal, but I may have misread it as most people say the number is 6 dollars per day, which seems reasonable. They said last year, they were one dollar over per meal, per MIDN, so that adds up to a buttload of cash quickly. And that was before all the new MANDO meals.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Even me, being the never-been-to-Annapolis, chief poker of fun at ringknockers, I think the NO BEAT ARMY is FVCKING GAY.

In the last Feedown, they told us no more BEAT ARMY at official/joint functions, and it's still good to go at Football games... That's how it stands now.

Also, word on the street is we'll be able to buy Command Ballcaps for the "USS Bancroft," in the sense that it's an Underground hat... Sounds pretty funny, when/if they come out, I'll post a pic.

phrogpilot73

In the last Feedown, they told us no more BEAT ARMY at official/joint functions, and it's still good to go at Football games... That's how it stands now.
Luckily, they can't regulate alumni... Of course I don't go to many official/joint functions but if I did...

Also, word on the street is we'll be able to buy Command Ballcaps for the "USS Bancroft," in the sense that it's an Underground hat... Sounds pretty funny, when/if they come out, I'll post a pic.
Gotta love the midshipmen, answering up with an underground item... Although if it is just a ballcap in similar vein to actual command ballcaps - I think that the administration would actually like that...

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Gotta love the midshipmen, answering up with an underground item... Although if it is just a ballcap in similar vein to actual command ballcaps - I think that the administration would actually like that...

Yeah, I'm not sure how it's going to look. I've seen some pictures of T-Court/Memorial Hall with waves coming into the scene like a flood, and I've heard of a picture of Bancroft tilted on its side sinking as a Underground T-Shirt. I want one if I see it.

FlybyWired06

Hey, On A Topic Other Than King Hall Food, Did The Administration Decide Whether Or Not To Allow The Mids To Travel To Philly For The Season Opener??? Please Tell Me There's An M.o. For That Atleast...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, saw people bitching about food. Had to chime in.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/aug/25/citadel_puts_its_kitchen_back_grade_a_sh14009/

Glad to see that my beloved alma mater isn't the only one experiencing problems with the chow. The shittiness of the food there was legendary. So, when the portions were good, I often had a PB&J instead of the main course... It was downright terrible..

Ah, brings back memories of the mess hall and the mystery breaded meat that we often had.......is it pork, chicken, turkey, beef? Who the hell knew, but it probably wasn't squirrel with all of the little guys running around.

As for the the Regimental Commander, what a friggin tool......"Most of the cadets probably don't know".....Well, probably because the school hadn't told anyone cadets but him.

I hope the Chick-Fil-A is still there, that is where I ate my senior year.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, On A Topic Other Than King Hall Food, Did The Administration Decide Whether Or Not To Allow The Mids To Travel To Philly For The Season Opener??? Please Tell Me There's An M.o. For That Atleast...

Turn Off Title Caps Or You Will Reinforce What Many Of Us Already Think About Middies.......;)

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor

No, no MO, but they are allowing 1/C and 2/C to go on Friday night and stay over without being charged a weekend, but if they don't use a weekend, they have to be back for Sat. Noon Meal/Liberty Formation.