• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New "Supe" setting new policies

Pags

N/A
pilot
we were discussing this at work as it made the email rounds...and I just don't see how it is deemed that this is all necessary seeing that there are plenty of officers in the fleet now, in the past, and in the future that never had to do any academy related BS and still managed to survive however many days at sea. somehow these folks managed to survive deployments without a plebe summer or a single day in mother B.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
we were discussing this at work as it made the email rounds...and I just don't see how it is deemed that this is all necessary seeing that there are plenty of officers in the fleet now, in the past, and in the future that never had to do any academy related BS and still managed to survive however many days at sea. somehow these folks managed to survive deployments without a plebe summer or a single day in mother B.

So? What's your point?

Pags

N/A
pilot
So? What's your point?

clif notes: what's the point of it all when NROTC and OCS mids will also go on to fight in this war? I don't see how decreasing their liberty is going to provide the fleet with a better product. i agree with phrogpilot that it's just gonna make some social retards.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, damn Nazi-AAA. It makes you wonder sometimes who really pull the strings at that joint.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
clif notes: what's the point of it all when NROTC and OCS mids will also go on to fight in this war? I don't see how decreasing their liberty is going to provide the fleet with a better product. i agree with phrogpilot that it's just gonna make some social retards.
Adds fuel to my theory. If I were CNO, SECDEF or King, I would actually go the other way. We'd be better served if the Academy were more like ROTC and ROTC was a little more like the Academy. Judging from my experience and talking with Academy types, it's possible to get a good intro to your military career either way, but in ROTC you have to go out and make it happen, not just skate by doing the bare minimum to get commissioned. Whereas at the Academy seems to me (on the outside) to really be the "$400,000 education shoved up you-know-where one dime at a time."

There's no purpose in cooping up mids for 4 years except to turn a significant percentage of them into social retards. There's also no reason why you can't expect a ROTC mid to be in uniform more than once a week or otherwise make the ROTC program more demanding at a minimum than it was when I went through. Balance is the key.

MasterBates

I still prefer the 13 week kick in the nuts after being paid to do nothing for a year.. And the kick in the nuts was not that bad..

(BDCP/OCS)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I think I've figured it out! Since we're such a nation at war we should be 100% at sea or in the sandbox, no other place, so who cares if they come out redheaded and socially retarded?:rolleyes:

hscs

pilot
Same thing happened about 12 years ago -- post EE scandal. Seems like the Brigade was made to pay for those that cheated (and were already long gone from the Yard). Things got worse before they got better -- in my opinion. I don't think that simulating cruise will work -- being on the yard is not the same as being on Lincoln for 10 months or months on end in Iraq.

In my opinion -- hammer the living sh-- out of those that screw up. The rest will get the message.

phrogpilot73

Same thing happened about 12 years ago -- post EE scandal. Seems like the Brigade was made to pay for those that cheated (and were already long gone from the Yard). Things got worse before they got better -- in my opinion. I don't think that simulating cruise will work -- being on the yard is not the same as being on Lincoln for 10 months or months on end in Iraq.

In my opinion -- hammer the living sh-- out of those that screw up. The rest will get the message.
I agree about hammer the living shit out of those that screw up. However, I disagree that the same thing happened 12 years ago. Wow, has it been that long?!? I started Plebe summer mere months after the double E scandal rocked USNA. After having sponsored mids for 9 years, I can say that really the only thing that changed was an increased focus/consciousness on honor. They did tighten down on some other areas (mandatory Sunday evening meal, Firsties/Second Class had to have the grades to get libbo during the week, less weekends, etc...) but not nearly as insane as this. They never restricted ECA's, they actually encouraged them. Think about it, if I was on a movement order with an ECA, or spending some of my precious liberty time with the Mountaineering Club in Great Falls - than there was less a chance I'd be raising a ruckus in DTA. Of course, we also had a VERY experienced Supe (Adm Larson), and a party animal Dant (Capt Bogle). Life was actually not bad.

Whereas at the Academy seems to me (on the outside) to really be the "$400,000 education shoved up you-know-where one dime at a time."
Make no mistake - it's a nickle at a time...

MrSaturn

Contributor
I think I've figured it out! Since we're such a nation at war we should be 100% at sea or in the sandbox, no other place, so who cares if they come out redheaded and socially retarded?:rolleyes:

.. if they come out socially retaded enough... they wont have the ability to leave the military voluntarily and easily will go on IAs without complaining... on top of that they have the whole Stockholm syndrome going for them...genius!!

:rolleyes:

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I agree about hammer the living shit out of those that screw up. However, I disagree that the same thing happened 12 years ago. Wow, has it been that long?!? I started Plebe summer mere months after the double E scandal rocked USNA. After having sponsored mids for 9 years, I can say that really the only thing that changed was an increased focus/consciousness on honor. They did tighten down on some other areas (mandatory Sunday evening meal, Firsties/Second Class had to have the grades to get libbo during the week, less weekends, etc...) but not nearly as insane as this. They never restricted ECA's, they actually encouraged them. Think about it, if I was on a movement order with an ECA, or spending some of my precious liberty time with the Mountaineering Club in Great Falls - than there was less a chance I'd be raising a ruckus in DTA. Of course, we also had a VERY experienced Supe (Adm Larson), and a party animal Dant (Capt Bogle). Life was actually not bad.

Make no mistake - it's a nickle at a time...

Funny, we had a singing Supe and a Marine Dept Dant that would yell at you for breathing. Oh yes, it truly is a nickel.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's a couple of popular underground shirts I've actually seen mids wearing on the academy...
Fuqued.jpg

and of course...
Redshirt.jpg