• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New "Supe" setting new policies

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
How are they cutting back extra-curriculars?

I don't entirely know about eca's, but a good friend of mine said that club sports are getting hammered. There are two classifications, A and B. Apparently A is almost like being varsity, B is a normal club during season but has to fight for any intramural exemptions.

At least that's the rumor.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I don't entirely know about eca's, but a good friend of mine said that club sports are getting hammered. There are two classifications, A and B. Apparently A is almost like being varsity, B is a normal club during season but has to fight for any intramural exemptions.

At least that's the rumor.

I heard that a lot of ECA's were being axed in the past few years.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, a majority of the ECAs were reduced heavily or done away with altogether (unless you were singing, a beater or blower, or somehow related to music and sailing). Towards the end of last year groups could apply for status, but it's a pretty long process. I think BSAs were fine for the most part, but ECAs were axed like virgin northwest woods. I never bothered with too many clubs so someone else could explain better.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I had an email forwarded to me from a guy who's parents are still in the loop of the parents club. I have to say I wonder if he hadn't gotten pressure from above to cut back for $$$ reasons. I knew some of the ECA's and clubs had pretty big budgets. Either way, it's still pretty absurd in my opinion.

There are now Four tiers of ECAs. Extracurricular Activities

Tier I ECA are activities of a professional nature that "develop the Brigade of Midshipmen" These are ECAs that support the Brigade and "advance midshipmen interest in individual warfare communities." Semper Fi, NA Avidation Society, Surface Navy Assoc, Dolphin Club, YP Squadron

Tier II ECA are those that include Academic ECAs.
Chemistry Club, Marine Technologly, Society of Women Engineers, French Club, Am. Society of Navaly Engr.

Tier III ECA are orgs whose existence is of special importance due to their contribution to the successof the NA. Tier III are charged w/ carrying out official functions on behalf of the NA. NOTE: "Special procedures permitting deviation from normal routines of the Brigade MAY be authorized on a case by case basis." This tier includes musical groups, spirit activities and ceremonial activities.

Tier IV ECA are recreational activities. Midshipman Action Group, various clubs, etc.

There are new restrictions on the number of mids permitted in each activity and restrictions on the number of activities in which a mid may participate.

ECA movement orders may only commence during authorized liberty time depending upon class rank.

In short, I would not expect to see musical groups flying about the country and reprsenting the Academy. Musical groups no longer seem to be the "face of the Navy."

Plus....

Halloween Concert canceled
Midshipman orchestra disbanded
Men's Glee club fall break trip canceled, (November appearance in Nashville still on, but probably only because all three nights are already sold out) Men's Glee club Spring Break tour cut short No news on the string quartet, but the new Supe had?them play at his home the evening after announcing all the other curtailed musical activities!?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Mountaineering Club? NADS? Naval Academy Flying Club? What happened to those, as they were my favorites...

All got cut, including scuba club. Yeah, money probably has something to do with it, but I was talking to a guy in charge of scuba and he said that they owned all their own gear and had used very little of the Academy's finances. As much as I love football, but if they need money they should start talking to the alumni since they seem to have deep pockets and stop paying for mids to go to games across the country.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I don't donate, despite repeated, annoying attempts by the Alumni Association to browbeat me into it, and that's mainly because I have no say as to where the funds go. I don't want any money I donate being used for stupid shit, and consequently, the USNAAA gets none. I will, however, go and mooch free booze from the Eastern North Carolina Chapter next month.

phrogpilot73

Honestly, this has infuriated me enough that I may just write an article/letter for Shipmate addressed to the current administration at the Academy. Yes, we are a nation at war and the Naval Academy develops midshipman to be leaders in the fleet. I don't disagree with that. What I have a problem with is the restriction of liberty, as well as the curtailment of ECA's. Since I am no longer a midshipman, it's not me bitching about what I want but can't have. It's simply me making note of the impact these decisions will have in the fleet. The administration is forgetting that eventually, these young men and women will be let loose in the fleet, leading Sailors & Marines. They will be expected to set the example for their charges, and conduct themselves as professional officers. While the new policies demonstrate an attempt to do that - it is crippling them for about 1/2 of their interactions in the fleet. It is stunting their social growth (which is almost as important as their professional growth). The lack of liberty, ECAs will not properly prepare them for their new found freedom come graduation. I would not be surprised if the unintended consequence of these policies is a larger number of liberty incidents among junior officers in the fleet (who for 4 years did not develop adequate social skills, responsible drinking skills, etc...), and potentially damaging their credibility among their Sailors/Marines. Not to mention tarnish the reputation of the Academy in the fleet. They use the comparison of the big E that was on deployment for 230 days, and 15 days in port. That is 245 days total - was the crew restricted to the ship 5 days a week the other 120 days that year? No. Did the crew have a sum total of 960 days restricted to the ship in a four year period? No. What happens when you send a SWO to a ship and that SWO has had 496 days total out of 4 years available for his social development, and that ship pulls into port? The Naval Academy's mission is to develop midshipman morally, mentally and phsycially and to imbue them with the highest ideals of duty, honor, and loyalty in order to provide gradutes who are dedicated to a career of naval service and have potential for future development in mind and character to assume the highest responsibilities of command, citizenship, and government. I think that they're missing that mark with these policies.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
To be fair, my firstie year we had the opportunity to go out drinking every night (split between liberty and firstie club). What angered me the most was how all this money was going to football games, singing, d & b and over-the-top pep rallies while other activities were cut. I just think they need to get their priorities straight and stick to them.

Maxillarious

pilot
oops

The O Club is really going to suffer. They took it away from us, briefly, when I was a firstie. Then they decided they needed our money.

Haha yeah I was in the club the night that caused it to get shut down for a while...that was interesting. :icon_zbee

MrSaturn

Contributor
Men's Glee club fall break trip canceled, (November appearance in Nashville still on, but probably only because all three nights are already sold out) Men's Glee club Spring Break tour cut short

That is like kicking Doc's 40+ year legacy in the balls. We worked hard to show major symphonies that we weren't just another novelty act. I dont think money is the issue or we can easily make it a non issue. Jack up prices people will still come to concerts and sell out the Halloween concert.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Speaking of Supe's... Whats everyone think of admiral Roughead's impending job?...

Circle K

pilot
That is like kicking Doc's 40+ year legacy in the balls. We worked hard to show major symphonies that we weren't just another novelty act. I dont think money is the issue or we can easily make it a non issue. Jack up prices people will still come to concerts and sell out the Halloween concert.

Most of the "horrible useless wastes of money" that are the music programs are more than capable of funding themselves. Unfortunately, Glee Club, D&B, etc are not private organizations nor do they have private organizations like NAAA backing them, so they are not allowed to raise money for their own programs. All money from sales goes into a general account which with proper justification the organization then can get some of the money back from. The whole ECA/BSA/club sports crackdown is a shame. Those were the things that made the "preparing for war" rhetoric bareable.