• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New MARADMIN- no more rolled sleeves in cammies.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The reasoning was uniformity. Some bases would go sleeves up because it was hot, or sleeves down when it got cold. For example, going sleeves down in Yuma in November it was still hot or going sleeves up in NorCal and it was still cold. Some people took offense to the lack of uniformity throughout the Marine Corps in these instances. The sleeves thing and a couple other uniform issues were floated around the MC earlier this year for opinions and it looks like either the consensus came back or higher decided it that way.

Either way, you wear your sleeves down in the field all the time and in theater year round. Suck it up. People will deal.

/don't agree with it - like rolled sleeves, but nobody asked me
//as long as they don't try to make me stop rolling my flight suit sleeves

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Usually messages like this include some drawn out paragraph about our traditions and include the words warfighter and tip of the spear.

1. Expeditionary warfighters deployed around the globe in world-wide service, in all climes and places wear their sleeves down in the aggressive combat posture that Marines have been known for since our inception in 1775. From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli, Marines have worn their sleeves about the wrist, and so, in keeping with this tradition, we will return to our original sleeve length. This will connect Marines in combat at the tip of the spear to Marines in garrison, preparing to take the fight to the enemy.
2. EFFECTIVE 24 OCTOBER 2011, THE MCCUU WILL BE WORN WITH THE SLEEVES DOWN, YEAR ROUND. THIS CHANGE DOES NOT AFFECT TIMING OF THE SEASONAL UNIFORM CHANGE, WHICH WILL BE ADDRESSED AND ANNOUNCED IN A FUTURE MARADMIN.

--
Better?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Gonna suck for people in Hawaii and Guam in the summertime and in the wintertime. Uniformity throughout different locations is a dumb reason. Nobody in Okinawa gives two shits what somebody in Albany, GA is wearing. Bases are in different climates and that can't be changed. I wonder if the brain trust that came up with the completely random change assessed why we wore the sleeves up in the first place. A clear instance of fixing what isn't broken when there are so many other problems.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gonna suck for people in Hawaii and Guam in the summertime and in the wintertime. Uniformity throughout different locations is a dumb reason. Nobody in Okinawa gives two shits what somebody in Albany, GA is wearing. Bases are in different climates and that can't be changed. I wonder if the brain trust that came up with the completely random change assessed why we wore the sleeves up in the first place. A clear instance of fixing what isn't broken when there are so many other problems.

Yes, well there you go using common sense to try and decipher a Marine Corps decision. You should know better.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I predict more people will be floating around in boots and utes during the summer.

Long loose sleeves are sometimes cooler than vein-poppingly-tight-but-I-gotta-rock-the-guns-anyway rolled sleeves, so maybe not so bad for the guys who this actually affects.

The MARADMIN I'm waiting for is the one that lets me start wearing my shined up cadillacs with utilities again!!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
First they take my nice cotton cammies, then they take my jungles, and now they take my sleeve rolls. If they get rid of silkies, I quit.

AJB37

First they take my nice cotton cammies, then they take my jungles, and now they take my sleeve rolls. If they get rid of silkies, I quit.

OCS circa 2009 they stopped letting us wear silkies for PT, so it's only a matter of time.

KBayDog

The MARADMIN I'm waiting for is the one that lets me start wearing my shined up cadillacs with utilities again!!

I would not be the least bit surprised if you told me you've been carting those things around for the past decade.

Yes, I can picture it: Sitting in your Man Cave is a sealed green 15-gallon Rubbermaid tote with four sets of woodlands, one set of Cadillacs, one set of Jungles, one web belt, one 8-point cover, four white shirts (folded 6x6), etc, etc, etc., while you wait for a return to your glory days.

coc3.jpg

KBayDog

My first reaction to this MARADMIN was: SWEET! IT'S ABOUT TIME! :D

My second reaction to this MARADMIN was: WAIT - NO MORE GUNNY ROLLS? :(

My third reaction to this MARADMIN was: I'M GONNA WEAR MY SLEEVES-DOWN DESERTS TO WORK ON MONDAY, JUST BECAUSE I CAN!! :p

My final, rational reaction to this MARADMIN was: I'M A PILOT. I ONLY WEAR THAT UNIFORM IF I'M ON DUTY, OR IN TROUBLE. BAGS PHOREVER! :cool:
(FWIW, the duty uniform in my current command is bags. Hells yeah!)

NOTE: My apologies for the gratuitous use of emoticons. LOLZ, and stuff.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I heard the Marines also were considering going to black T-shirts with the cammies. That way you would be able to wear them out in town for brief stops (gas, daycare, maybe even convenience stores). And be more like the Air Force and the Navy.

Anyway, that's what I heard. Some guy in the smoke pit was talking about it. Or maybe it was the chow line. Rolled down sleeves and black T-shirts. Tell your friends.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I would not be the least bit surprised if you told me you've been carting those things around for the past decade.

Yes, I can picture it: Sitting in your Man Cave is a sealed green 15-gallon Rubbermaid tote with four sets of woodlands, one set of Cadillacs, one set of Jungles, one web belt, one 8-point cover, four white shirts (folded 6x6), etc, etc, etc., while you wait for a return to your glory days.

coc3.jpg

Funny you should mention that. I broke open a Rubbermaid tote the other day that was just marked "uniforms" and found all of my inspection stuff. It was nice finding a bunch of like new undershirts and pisscutter, but I still don't know what to do with several pairs of tighty-whiteys with my last name stamped on the front.