• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New MARADMIN- no more rolled sleeves in cammies.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So let's be even more uncomfortable in hot weather...

R 181719Z OCT 11
UNCLASSIFIED//
MARADMIN 621/11
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
SUBJ/MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM POLICY CHANGE//
REF/A/MSGID:DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MCUB/31MAR2003//
AMPN/A IS MCO P1020.34G, MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS.//
POC/M. BOYT/CIV/UNIT:MCUB/-/TEL: 703-432-3333/TEL:DSN 378-3333 /EMAIL:MARY.BOYT(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. THIS MARADMIN ANNOUNCES THE COMMANDANT'S DECISION TO CHANGE THE MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM (MCCUU) WEAR POLICY.
2. EFFECTIVE 24 OCTOBER 2011, THE MCCUU WILL BE WORN WITH THE SLEEVES DOWN, YEAR ROUND. THIS CHANGE DOES NOT AFFECT TIMING OF THE SEASONAL UNIFORM CHANGE, WHICH WILL BE ADDRESSED AND ANNOUNCED IN A FUTURE MARADMIN.
3. REFERENCE (A) WILL BE UPDATED TO REFLECT THIS CHANGE.
4. RELEASE AUTHORIZED BY LTGEN W. J. WILLIAMS, DIRECTOR, MARINE CORPS STAFF.//

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
So let's be even more uncomfortable in hot weather...

R 181719Z OCT 11
UNCLASSIFIED//
MARADMIN 621/11
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
SUBJ/MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM POLICY CHANGE//
REF/A/MSGID:DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MCUB/31MAR2003//
AMPN/A IS MCO P1020.34G, MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS.//
POC/M. BOYT/CIV/UNIT:MCUB/-/TEL: 703-432-3333/TEL:DSN 378-3333 /EMAIL:MARY.BOYT(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. THIS MARADMIN ANNOUNCES THE COMMANDANT'S DECISION TO CHANGE THE MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM (MCCUU) WEAR POLICY.
2. EFFECTIVE 24 OCTOBER 2011, THE MCCUU WILL BE WORN WITH THE SLEEVES DOWN, YEAR ROUND. THIS CHANGE DOES NOT AFFECT TIMING OF THE SEASONAL UNIFORM CHANGE, WHICH WILL BE ADDRESSED AND ANNOUNCED IN A FUTURE MARADMIN.
3. REFERENCE (A) WILL BE UPDATED TO REFLECT THIS CHANGE.
4. RELEASE AUTHORIZED BY LTGEN W. J. WILLIAMS, DIRECTOR, MARINE CORPS STAFF.//

Though I know this doesn't mean much to the Marines, the Army has been doing this since the introduction of the ACU. Back in the BDU days, we rolled our sleeves (albeit a little differently than you guys). To be honest, it's something you get used to, and rather easily. The only good news is that having your sleeves rolled down helps with preventing sunburns, and in some cases, allows for better air circulation in the uniform. That being said, I prefer being able to roll the sleeves.

AJB37

Soon we'll start rolling our flight suits like the air force...

and does this mean I can get a sweet sleeve tattoo...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The MARADMIN is creepy short. When I read it today I thought my computer hadn't loaded the whole message. It seems pretty random, so what's the justification?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm wondering what the reasoning behind the change is...
Guys with big muscles cutting their sleeves or maybe faded desert cammies with not so faded sleeves... At least those are the only 2 I could come up with. I thought we've been rolling our sleeves in the summertime since.... well... a long time.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Guys with big muscles cutting their sleeves or maybe faded desert cammies with not so faded sleeves... At least those are the only 2 I could come up with. I thought we've been rolling our sleeves in the summertime since.... well... a long time.

Regarding your first point - It's uncomfortable as hell wearing rolled sleeves if you routinely go to the gym - I don't blame dudes for cutting them, and they look better. And the only guys I've ever known to do it also made sure to keep a spare blouse on hand "just in case."

As for the second, I don't think I ever recall seeing someone with desert sleeves rolled down, so what would it matter if they're less faded?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just a bit annoyed at the change in policy.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
As for the second, I don't think I ever recall seeing someone with desert sleeves rolled down, so what would it matter if they're less faded?

Just out of curiosity, when in a field/training environment, do Marines wear there sleeves down?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Just out of curiosity, when in a field/training environment, do Marines wear there sleeves down?

Yes, we do. I've only ever done that type of training in the "Quantico highlands" battling the CRF, so it made more sense to wear woodlands as it was much more fitting for the terrain in that environment.

Slightly off topic - Anyone still in TBS, or having recently left - Are we still fighting in Centralia?

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
Don't get me wrong I hate rollin the sleeves up and down, up and down as much as the next guy but done right they look sharp. My guess to the reason is the Marines walking around with crumpled half ass rolled sleeves look nasty and lazy. It takes 5 minutes to roll the sleeves its not that big of an inconvenience. Next thing you know we will have zippers on our blouses like another service vs. buttons because when a button falls off, holy crap, you have to sew it back on.

phrogpilot73

I thought we've been rolling our sleeves in the summertime since.... well... a long time.
At least since '92 when I hit boot camp...

Yes, we do. I've only ever done that type of training in the "Quantico highlands" battling the CRF, so it made more sense to wear woodlands as it was much more fitting for the terrain in that environment.

Slightly off topic - Anyone still in TBS, or having recently left - Are we still fighting in Centralia?
In the grunts, you routinely wear sleeves down in the field. Funny that you should mention Centralia and the CRF. That was the case in '98 when I went through, so why not now?? :)