• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Hooters pics from Mad Dog . . . .

HuggyU2

None
CAP has DHC-2’s?

Sign me up!
Good luck with that.
I'll be the guy passing you on the highway enroute to signing up to fly a Beaver forl CAP.

Chuck, which state has Beavers and Maules? I flew 206's for CAP many years ago, but have been inactive for 20+ years.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Quick question @ChuckMK23...what is the future of the CAP aircraft fleet? Are they sticking with the 182 forever or is there something in the wind? I remember when it was guys using their own aircraft and a handful of retired “O” aircraft.
Thats under study - and big beltway thinktank was contracted to do a mission study for CAP earlier this year. For now, its Cessna 206 and 182's. CAP is the biggest GA customer for Textron/Cessna (new 206's are $700K+). However there is serious study going on because the interagency missions keep growing (DoD, DHS, FEMA, etc.) and the SAR missions are shrinking (the vast majority of SAR cases involving downed aircraft in CONUS are resolved with crew cell phone data and ADS-B tracks). So, I've read some missions, like UAS support (think Predators in Special Use Airspace), the CAP aircraft of present are just too slow. Other missions like Private Pilot training for Cadets, a 182 or 206 is too much airplane. Given that Cirrus and Diamond are both already in AF procurement system (Cirrus for USAFA, and Diamond for AF UPT initial flight screen) it sounds like those two airframes are contenders.

The Airvan G-8 was procured a few years ago as a trial - Think mini Caravan. I don't believe its been a successful choice. I think we have 15 of these. Box with wings.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Good luck with that.
I'll be the guy passing you on the highway enroute to signing up to fly a Beaver forl CAP.

Chuck, which state has Beavers and Maules? I flew 206's for CAP many years ago, but have been inactive for 20+ years.
I believe Alaska has a few Beavers left. The Maule is in Vermont, Pennsylvania, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
1st Gen G1000 - no WAAS so RNAV approaches are LNAV only with manual stepdowns (no LPV). Most of the Cessna fleet (182 and 206) are G1000's and a lot of the aircraft are Gen 2 with WAAS and Garmin AP's with FD. The fleet of Airvan G-8's are steam gauge as are the DHC-2 Beavers and handful of Maule M-9-235's.

Just goes to show how long I've been away from the organization. I'm glad to see that nearly every plane has G1000s. The added capability makes the work much easier.

Thats under study - and big beltway thinktank was contracted to do a mission study for CAP earlier this year. For now, its Cessna 206 and 182's. CAP is the biggest GA customer for Textron/Cessna (new 206's are $700K+). However there is serious study going on because the interagency missions keep growing (DoD, DHS, FEMA, etc.) and the SAR missions are shrinking (the vast majority of SAR cases involving downed aircraft in CONUS are resolved with crew cell phone data and ADS-B tracks). So, I've read some missions, like UAS support (think Predators in Special Use Airspace), the CAP aircraft of present are just too slow. Other missions like Private Pilot training for Cadets, a 182 or 206 is too much airplane. Given that Cirrus and Diamond are both already in AF procurement system (Cirrus for USAFA, and Diamond for AF UPT initial flight screen) it sounds like those two airframes are contenders.

The Airvan G-8 was procured a few years ago as a trial - Think mini Caravan. I don't believe its been a successful choice. I think we have 15 of these. Box with wings.

Are any of the old turboprop Caravans still around? Those always seemed to get rave reviews for FEMA and other disaster relief work.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Just goes to show how long I've been away from the organization. I'm glad to see that nearly every plane has G1000s. The added capability makes the work much easier.

Are any of the old turboprop Caravans still around? Those always seemed to get rave reviews for FEMA and other disaster relief work.
I agree. I certainly understand that the SAR mission might be falling off but I am surprised that the CAP isn’t leaning forward in the disaster relief effort. Even beyond the possibilities of having a fleet of small aircraft to move supplies to outlying areas, there is the ability to coordinate substantial communications and manpower.