• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New guy with a few questions

fox2102

Well thank YOU for being open minded, acknowledging your flaws, and being willing to change for the better. Some posters in the past have viewed similar posts like my last few as hostile believe it or not

I use to be like that until a couple Marines changed my point of view for me.

And it's not that i'm not willing to work out. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it given how out of shape I am. Honestly I cant run from here to the end of my drive way and back without getting out of breath so i'm just looking at my options and tryin to be smart about it. My drive way is, i would guess, 35 yards and I run down there to check the mail and then do as many push ups as I can when i get back to the house. Then I walk some.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I use to be like that until a couple Marines changed my point of view for me.

And it's not that i'm not willing to work out. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it given how out of shape I am. Honestly I cant run from here to the end of my drive way and back without getting out of breath so i'm just looking at my options and tryin to be smart about it. My drive way is, i would guess, 35 yards and I run down there to check the mail and then do as many push ups as I can when i get back to the house. Then I walk some.

work on your aerobic fitness. you won't improve your aerobic condition if you can't keep up your heartrate for 30mins at a time. running 70yds/day isn't going to do it. assuming you are about 20yo, you should be targeting a heartrate of about 100/min (50% of max) at first, and then in few weeks, build up to 170/min (85% of max). keep your heartrate up for 30mins at a time, and your aerobic capacity will improve! try walking fast or jumping rope very slowly at first, but check your pulse to make sure you are at your target heartrate, then increase slowly day by day.

fox2102

work on your aerobic fitness. you won't improve your aerobic condition if you can't keep up your heartrate for 30mins at a time. running 70yds/day isn't going to do it. assuming you are about 20yo, you should be targeting a heartrate of about 100/min (50% of max) at first, and then in few weeks, build up to 170/min (85% of max). keep your heartrate up for 30mins at a time, and your aerobic capacity will improve! try walking fast or jumping rope very slowly at first, but check your pulse to make sure you are at your target heartrate, then increase slowly day by day.
Yeah the 70 yards is barely enough to get my heart rate up at all. I went to the track today and got some real running time in. Dont know exacaly how far I ran or how long but I ran for as long as I could. It wasnt very far but I ran until my ankles were numb and i could barely move my feet. I was moving for a good 30 minutes alternating between running and walking. I'm assuming that the tighting and burning in my ankles wont be such a problem once I get use to running. Over all though I enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the track most days but I will probably end up running around the house more often than not

fox2102

STRETCH.

Do it. Do it twice as long as you think you need.

Yeah I stretched some before I ran. Apparently not quite enough. I'm finding out that i'm not as flexible as i use to be when I was taking tae kwon do :p I think I'll do stretches at night when I have nothing better to do as well to get more flexible

IrishEagle85

My gym teacher said I was a physical train wreck. I'm not too over weight i dont believe. I weigh around 215lbs. I need to lose about 50lbs I would say. I dont look at it as something I cant do I just think it's going to take time and effort. Problem is that I dont have a gym anywhere close to my town and finding a place to run close to my house is hard to do since people have been hit by cars when checking their mail. I hate these back country roads. I have thinking about investing in a home gym but since I'm not working at the moment (whole nother story in itself) I can only rely on what my parents can give me. So any suggestions on what I can do to build my strength up? I've spent the last 8 years of my life behind a computer screen so I'm pretty out of shape

The biggest key to losing weight is to start eating healthier, which can be a pain in the ass. Focus on high protein/fiber meals, stay away from starched carbohydrates, and avoid trans fats at all possible costs. Instead of believing alot of the BS you read online about low carb and other fad diets, I would highly recommend you go to see a local nutrionist and have them help you devise a diet. From there, calculate your maintenance calorie level, and plan your diet for about a 500 calorie deficit/day. (If your maintenance = 2500 calories a day, eat only 2000 calories a day). 3500 calories = 1 lb, so by taking a 500 calorie deficit a day, you'll lose approximately one pound a week. With a good diet, you'll lose weight in no time. You can calculate an approximate level of your maintenance level here -> http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

You can PT all you want, but if you're eating ice cream and Big Mac's at the end of the day, it's going to be very counter productive to your goals.

All that being said, you have to exercise as well. Start off slow like the others said above. Home gyms are expensive, but you have to do what you have to do. I will say that I tend to lose fat tissue ALOT faster lifting than doing cardio, but cardio's pretty important to the Navy, so I would recommend doing both. Conventional wisdom says you'll want to raise your RMR (Resting Metabolism Rate), which means putting on some lean muscle (i.e lifting). For every extra pound of lean muscle mass you put on, your body burns an extra 50 calories a day.

You could start doing bodyweight training and calisthenics. Push ups, setups, squat jumps, lunges, mountain climbers are all good exercises which utilize your body weight. I'd recommend finding a track and doing interval/sprint training with these exercises thrown in there. I hear medicine balls are also incredible for workouts, but I haven't done anything with one yet.

And always stretch both before and after a workout, else your muscles aren't going to recover as fast and you could potentially strain something. The last time I strained a muscle I was med down for 6 weeks.

So what does all this mean for you? Analyze your eating habits and put together something healthy based on advice from your local nutritionist, and I'd recommend getting into the routine of lifting for an hour a day, and maybe easing into the cardio routine with the goal of doing half an hour of cardio a day after a few months.

To touch up on what I said about PRK/LASEK above, I would recommend LASEK over PRK. The recovery time is a little faster, and LASEK has a slightly higher success percentage.

IrishEagle85

And in addition to talking with the officer recruiter, I'd suggest that even if you do get on the PRK/LASEK track, to first have yourself checked out by a flight surgeon and run the entire plan by him to make sure you've done everything needed to be able to get a waiver at the end of this process- that's what I'm planning to do myself. It would really suck to get surgery and not get a waiver. I read a very sad story on AW of someone who had this happen to them. (They got the wrong surgery after getting some wrong medical advice and were DQ'ed from aviation forever. :()

Yea, he definitely needs to go talk to a flight surgeon first and have all of the evaluation paperwork processed by NAMI. Even if he gets the right surgery, it could be there there's a specific parameter in his paperwork that disqualifies him from aviation, and then he'll have wasted his money.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Really? I'll do that. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, stretching after a workout is huge for the recovery process.

Also, you shouldn't stretch cold muscles. I do a 5 min warmup with a jump rope or a jog, then do a dynamic stretch (high kicks with the legs, walking knee pulls, etc...) and a bit of core warmups before I do any type of cardio workout, then do a static stretch (what most people think when they think about stretching is static) afterward.

BackOrdered

Contributor
It seems like I'm beating the dead horse after so many have advised you to stretch but I'm going to reiterated it anyway.

STRETCH!! STRETCH!! STRETCH!!

I've gotten two injuries this year, both due to me being a space cadet and not stretching properly. I'd break a new threshold with my 1.5 mile run, think I'm superman, and not stretch correctly or at all. The next day I feel like someone hit my lower legs and knees with a sledge hammer. When will I learn?!

IrishEagle85

Another thing I thought of as well about the eye surgery. Other than taking out a loan do any of you know a way to pay for it. My dad's insurance doesnt cover it and no on in my family exacally has the credit or spare cash to drop on something like this. any suggestions?

I don't know if you qualify for this through BDCP, but NROTC and USNA midshipmen qualify for a $25,000 loan through USAA at 2% a year, loan payments are approximately $450 a month for five years, starting about 5 months (I think) after you commission. So if you can qualify for that, you can use that to pay for the surgery, either pay back the rest or chuck it into a risk free trading vehicle (treasury bonds) or go a little riskier if you want and make up the amount you spent. Now is an awesome time to play with options strategies due to the volatility of the market. :)

fox2102

The biggest key to losing weight is to start eating healthier, which can be a pain in the ass. Focus on high protein/fiber meals, stay away from starched carbohydrates, and avoid trans fats at all possible costs. Instead of believing alot of the BS you read online about low carb and other fad diets, I would highly recommend you go to see a local nutrionist and have them help you devise a diet. From there, calculate your maintenance calorie level, and plan your diet for about a 500 calorie deficit/day. (If your maintenance = 2500 calories a day, eat only 2000 calories a day). 3500 calories = 1 lb, so by taking a 500 calorie deficit a day, you'll lose approximately one pound a week. With a good diet, you'll lose weight in no time. You can calculate an approximate level of your maintenance level here -> http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

You can PT all you want, but if you're eating ice cream and Big Mac's at the end of the day, it's going to be very counter productive to your goals.

All that being said, you have to exercise as well. Start off slow like the others said above. Home gyms are expensive, but you have to do what you have to do. I will say that I tend to lose fat tissue ALOT faster lifting than doing cardio, but cardio's pretty important to the Navy, so I would recommend doing both. Conventional wisdom says you'll want to raise your RMR (Resting Metabolism Rate), which means putting on some lean muscle (i.e lifting). For every extra pound of lean muscle mass you put on, your body burns an extra 50 calories a day.

You could start doing bodyweight training and calisthenics. Push ups, setups, squat jumps, lunges, mountain climbers are all good exercises which utilize your body weight. I'd recommend finding a track and doing interval/sprint training with these exercises thrown in there. I hear medicine balls are also incredible for workouts, but I haven't done anything with one yet.

And always stretch both before and after a workout, else your muscles aren't going to recover as fast and you could potentially strain something. The last time I strained a muscle I was med down for 6 weeks.

So what does all this mean for you? Analyze your eating habits and put together something healthy based on advice from your local nutritionist, and I'd recommend getting into the routine of lifting for an hour a day, and maybe easing into the cardio routine with the goal of doing half an hour of cardio a day after a few months.

To touch up on what I said about PRK/LASEK above, I would recommend LASEK over PRK. The recovery time is a little faster, and LASEK has a slightly higher success percentage.
I have started drinking alot of water and i'm not nearly as hungry anymore. I'm stayin away from white bread and pasta too for the most part. I had lost 10lbs in a month or so just because I stopped eating after 6pm so I know I can reach my goals. The lifting is a bit of a problem since I can only do body weight exercises because I have no weights but i'm tryin to see if i have anything around the house to substitue

And I thought LASEK disqualified me. Or is LASEK different from LASIK? What surgeries can I get that wont disqualify me?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I have started drinking alot of water and i'm not nearly as hungry anymore. I'm stayin away from white bread and pasta too for the most part. I had lost 10lbs in a month or so just because I stopped eating after 6pm so I know I can reach my goals. The lifting is a bit of a problem since I can only do body weight exercises because I have no weights but i'm tryin to see if i have anything around the house to substitue

And I thought LASEK disqualified me. Or is LASEK different from LASIK? What surgeries can I get that wont disqualify me?

LASEK is basically a form of PRK and is waiverable.