• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New guy with a few questions

IrishEagle85

I have started drinking alot of water and i'm not nearly as hungry anymore. I'm stayin away from white bread and pasta too for the most part. I had lost 10lbs in a month or so just because I stopped eating after 6pm so I know I can reach my goals. The lifting is a bit of a problem since I can only do body weight exercises because I have no weights but i'm tryin to see if i have anything around the house to substitue

And I thought LASEK disqualified me. Or is LASEK different from LASIK? What surgeries can I get that wont disqualify me?

In terms of food management; drinking lots of water is good, because as you noted it tends to fill you up more. Another good strategy is instead of having 3 big 600+ calorie meals during the day, is to have five 300 calorie meals during the day. Breakfast, mid morning, lunch, mid afternoon, dinner. Including a good amount of fiber in this routine is also good, because it slows down how fast the food is broken down into your system, leaving you fuller for longer periods, and less likely to snack.

A good ebook which I have is truth about abs. It goes into pretty close detail about the different kinds of fats and chemicals in food, what kind of fats are healthy and unhealthy, the way to choose your food to encourage efficient fat burning, and explains everything so you can make informed choices about your food selections. It also has a ton of exercises you can do with medicine balls and a small set of dumbbells. (I'm not a paid advertiser, it just helped me figure out how to eat right, and I love it :p).

In the end, you're going to want to find some sort of gym access, because it helps that much with burning weight. You by no means need a corporate gym membership or anything, but you can probably find a little hole in the wall place somewhere in town that you could hit on your way home, with affordable rates. If that fails, try to find yourself a pair of adjustable dumbbells for the house. Since you haven't worked out much, I would suggest finding a friend who does who can help you get started. Form is EXTREMELY important in weight lifting.

There are three basic kinds of laser surgery - PRK, LASEK, and LASIK. PRK and LASEK are approved by the Navy, LASIK is currently being tested by the Navy but is not approved yet.

fox2102

In terms of food management; drinking lots of water is good, because as you noted it tends to fill you up more. Another good strategy is instead of having 3 big 600+ calorie meals during the day, is to have five 300 calorie meals during the day. Breakfast, mid morning, lunch, mid afternoon, dinner. Including a good amount of fiber in this routine is also good, because it slows down how fast the food is broken down into your system, leaving you fuller for longer periods, and less likely to snack.

A good ebook which I have is truth about abs. It goes into pretty close detail about the different kinds of fats and chemicals in food, what kind of fats are healthy and unhealthy, the way to choose your food to encourage efficient fat burning, and explains everything so you can make informed choices about your food selections. It also has a ton of exercises you can do with medicine balls and a small set of dumbbells. (I'm not a paid advertiser, it just helped me figure out how to eat right, and I love it :p).

In the end, you're going to want to find some sort of gym access, because it helps that much with burning weight. You by no means need a corporate gym membership or anything, but you can probably find a little hole in the wall place somewhere in town that you could hit on your way home, with affordable rates. If that fails, try to find yourself a pair of adjustable dumbbells for the house. Since you haven't worked out much, I would suggest finding a friend who does who can help you get started. Form is EXTREMELY important in weight lifting.

There are three basic kinds of laser surgery - PRK, LASEK, and LASIK. PRK and LASEK are approved by the Navy, LASIK is currently being tested by the Navy but is not approved yet.
I've been looking for a gym but there is only 1 within like 30 miles (that i've found so far) and you need an access card just to get in. Probably cant afford something like that. This town is about as alive as a funeral.. There might be one at the college. I'll have to ask around. My friend that lives with me use to work out alot but I dont know how much he has used weights but i might be able to find a work out buddy at church. I'll take a look at that ebook too.

One thing with my eating is that my schedule doesnt allow a very good eating habbit. 3 days a week i'm in a car from 4pm til 6 and then in class from 6 til 9:30 and i'm not home until 11 pm. I heard eating in the car is a death trap too so what can I do to work around that?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Why does this thread remind me of trying to teach a toddler to use the toilet and not his diaper?

IrishEagle85

I've been looking for a gym but there is only 1 within like 30 miles (that i've found so far) and you need an access card just to get in. Probably cant afford something like that. This town is about as alive as a funeral.. There might be one at the college. I'll have to ask around. My friend that lives with me use to work out alot but I dont know how much he has used weights but i might be able to find a work out buddy at church. I'll take a look at that ebook too.

One thing with my eating is that my schedule doesnt allow a very good eating habbit. 3 days a week i'm in a car from 4pm til 6 and then in class from 6 til 9:30 and i'm not home until 11 pm. I heard eating in the car is a death trap too so what can I do to work around that?

You could prepare meals earlier in the week or earlier in the day. Put together a couple of healthier sandwiches or trail mix snacks, hard boil eggs in advance, stuff like that. That way you can pack some stuff up in zip lock bags to take with you in the car or to class.

Eating in a car a death trap? That's a lie. The goal isn't to eat a 1000 calorie five course meal, the goal is simple smaller meals that shouldn't take you longer than five minutes to crunch down. I guarantee you can eat a cup of yogurt or a couple of hard boiled eggs in the car ;-)

The biggest key to eating well is to plan out your meals for the week in advance. That's not necessarily say make them all at once, but write down what you want for each meal (like I said, you'll usually aim for about 300-400 calories per meal, and lots of fiber/protein). If you're making snack mixes for like your afternoon meal (raisins and almonds work good this, easy to eat, easy to make, and healthy) you can make that kind of stuff as far in advance as you want. That ebook has a bunch of meal ideas to help you out, as well as giving you their calorie, fiber, and protein levels.

You might want to consider investing in adjustable dumbbells. I know you said your not working right now, and adjustable dumbbells can run anywhere from $100-$400 depending on which brand you get. You could also look into the medicine ball or into rubber band exercises. The rubber band is probably the cheapest way to go.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
If you truly don't know how to train, get a personal trainer for a couple months in order to get a good routine. Otherwise don't rely too heavily on internet input for the health of your body.

fox2102

You could prepare meals earlier in the week or earlier in the day. Put together a couple of healthier sandwiches or trail mix snacks, hard boil eggs in advance, stuff like that. That way you can pack some stuff up in zip lock bags to take with you in the car or to class.

Eating in a car a death trap? That's a lie. The goal isn't to eat a 1000 calorie five course meal, the goal is simple smaller meals that shouldn't take you longer than five minutes to crunch down. I guarantee you can eat a cup of yogurt or a couple of hard boiled eggs in the car ;-)

The biggest key to eating well is to plan out your meals for the week in advance. That's not necessarily say make them all at once, but write down what you want for each meal (like I said, you'll usually aim for about 300-400 calories per meal, and lots of fiber/protein). If you're making snack mixes for like your afternoon meal (raisins and almonds work good this, easy to eat, easy to make, and healthy) you can make that kind of stuff as far in advance as you want. That ebook has a bunch of meal ideas to help you out, as well as giving you their calorie, fiber, and protein levels.

You might want to consider investing in adjustable dumbbells. I know you said your not working right now, and adjustable dumbbells can run anywhere from $100-$400 depending on which brand you get. You could also look into the medicine ball or into rubber band exercises. The rubber band is probably the cheapest way to go.
I have been thinking about the dumbbells. Even some non-adjustable ones would be better than nothing right now.

I want to get a personal trainer but there arent any in my town other than martial arts dojos but my schedule conflicts for the most part. I plan on going to talk to them about maybe setting up private one on one lessons if nothing else.

IrishEagle85

I have been thinking about the dumbbells. Even some non-adjustable ones would be better than nothing right now.

I want to get a personal trainer but there arent any in my town other than martial arts dojos but my schedule conflicts for the most part. I plan on going to talk to them about maybe setting up private one on one lessons if nothing else.

I think it would be in your best interest to forgo standard dumbbells and invest in an adjustable pair, if not an entire bowflex system. My reasoning behind this is this; you're going to find that when you start consistently lifting weights, your body adapts as it builds muscles. At that point, your not getting as much of a workout from workout session, because your muscles are handling the weight more efficiently, and you need to increase your weight. The adjustable equipment will allow you to increase the weight as necessary.

Power blocks are a pretty fiscally cheap system, although you really need to get a pair so you can do a variety of presses that should really be done two arms at once. I would recommend a set that can adjust up to around 50-60 lbs, because you're going to find as you get better at lifting, you're going to want the heavier weights for your presses.

http://www.powerblock.com/blocks.html

You can get a good pair for about $250.

fox2102

I think it would be in your best interest to forgo standard dumbbells and invest in an adjustable pair, if not an entire bowflex system. My reasoning behind this is this; you're going to find that when you start consistently lifting weights, your body adapts as it builds muscles. At that point, your not getting as much of a workout from workout session, because your muscles are handling the weight more efficiently, and you need to increase your weight. The adjustable equipment will allow you to increase the weight as necessary.

Power blocks are a pretty fiscally cheap system, although you really need to get a pair so you can do a variety of presses that should really be done two arms at once. I would recommend a set that can adjust up to around 50-60 lbs, because you're going to find as you get better at lifting, you're going to want the heavier weights for your presses.

http://www.powerblock.com/blocks.html

You can get a good pair for about $250.
Are the bowflex home gyms worth the money? With tax time in my parents said they maybe able to help me get one.

IrishEagle85

Are the bowflex home gyms worth the money? With tax time in my parents said they maybe able to help me get one.

I don't know, I've never used one. Everything I do in terms of lifting, I do with free weights at the local gym. Ultimately, I'd recommend the dumbbells, I think.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
If you want to lose weight focus on your nutrition above all. I get a lot of good exercise and I weigh about 205lbs at 71 inches. That's overweight by standards. Focus on trying to lose weight to keep it off which means take it slow. You don't want to end up losing 20lbs only to gain it back.

Exercising is more of a way to kickstart your metabolism. I suggest doing some weight training with dumbbells. Do push-ups and make sure your form is perfect. Those type of things will get you more than the run a lot of times. Running is easy. Just do a lot of it and make sure you practice good running form. Also getting a pair of fitted running shoes e.g. making sure they fit you right and are the proper type for your foot (under pronating or over pronating).

Better learn how to swim too.

IrishEagle85

At any rate, foxtrot, we gave you the information you need to get in shape. Nutrition being the most important, and weight lifting being the second most important. Stick with it and get into a solid routine, and you should be seeing some pretty sweet results within 3 months.

fox2102

If you want to lose weight focus on your nutrition above all. I get a lot of good exercise and I weigh about 205lbs at 71 inches. That's overweight by standards. Focus on trying to lose weight to keep it off which means take it slow. You don't want to end up losing 20lbs only to gain it back.

Exercising is more of a way to kickstart your metabolism. I suggest doing some weight training with dumbbells. Do push-ups and make sure your form is perfect. Those type of things will get you more than the run a lot of times. Running is easy. Just do a lot of it and make sure you practice good running form. Also getting a pair of fitted running shoes e.g. making sure they fit you right and are the proper type for your foot (under pronating or over pronating).

Better learn how to swim too.
Yeah I've been focusing alot on the way I eat and already in the past couple of months i've dropped like 20lbs.

My dad's and ex-Marine so he has helped alot with me getting my pushup form just right. I cant do many right now but He says I do them the right way.

Swimming shouldnt be too much of a problem. I just havent done it in a while.

Thanks to all of you guys. This has really helped alot! I'm not nearly as frustrated with the situation now!