• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New guy with a few questions

fox2102

Hello people. I came across the BDCP a few weeks ago, by acident, after checking out the Navy's website after attending a Blue Angels airshow. It's something I'm very interested in. I've been browsing around the site for a few days and decided I should introduce myself.

The question I have is I'm going to ITT Technical Institute and I'm majoring in multimedia and game design. The problem comes in at that it's two separate degree's. The first degree (multimedia) is a 2 year degree and the 2nd degree (game design) is a four year degree. I'm only going for four years but i'm getting two degrees. Would that cause problems with applying?

I have one other question. I have really bad eye sight. Last time I was at the eye doctor he told me it was around 20/400 in each eye. I want to be a Pilot and I know that pilots are required to have 20/20. Can I apply for an aviation slot and then get the lasik when I get the military benifits or must I have that corrected before I apply?

I know that some of this would probably be easily found with the search function but I wanted to introduce myself and have something to put forth other than just a hello.

IrishEagle85

I don't know about the BDCP, but I can address it from an NROTC perspective. I don't see how the major itself would be an issue. While technical majors are encouraged, they aren't required. I'm a finance major myself.

Eye-sight; that depends. First off, the only two forms of laser correction allowed for Naval Aviators are PRK and LASEK. LASIK will get you disqualified. Secondly, you'll have to get an evaluation by an eye institute, which will then have to be double checked by NAMI (Naval Aviation Medical Institute) to qualify you for a waiver. The ability to correct to 20/20 isn't so much dependent on how good/bad your eyesight is, but rather on factors such as Manifest Refractive Error and a couple of other numbers.

Like I said, an eye institute can evaluate you (mine did the evaluation for free) and give you an idea what the probability is of correcting to 20/20. But do NOT get LASIK if you want to be a Naval Aviator.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Your first step is to talk to your local Recruiting District and set up an appointment with an Officer Recruiter. She/He'll be able to answer more personable questions about eyesight and such.

As far as degrees, what matters is that it a bachelors from an accredited institution. As a transfer student, my degree is split between an associates and a bachelors degree and that's fine. Now if you have two associate degrees then no.

navyboy4415

You should check with your university to see if your degrees are nationally accredited. If you are going to ITT Tech then I believe their degrees are NOT accredited. Therefore if you want to do BDCP or even OCS you would have to transfer to a school that is recognized nationally.

fox2102

Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad you told me about lasik. I did not know that it would disqualify me. I have not heard about PRK but I will look into it. I'm not really sure where the recruiter would be for me. I live in the boonies. I have to drive 2 hours each way just to get to school so hopefully the recruiter wont be too far away.

Thanks for answering my question on the degrees. I thought it would be ok but I wasnt really sure.

*edit* ITT is nationally accredited :)

BackOrdered

Contributor
You should check with your university to see if your degrees are nationally accredited. If you are going to ITT Tech then I believe their degrees are NOT accredited. Therefore if you want to do BDCP or even OCS you would have to transfer to a school that is recognized nationally.

There are finer differences between being nationally accredited and being regional such as transfering credits. As far as OCS goes, I haven't a clue. Definitely talk to a recruiter OP.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
First, good luck on the road to getting selected it can get tricky when problems arise. Second, there is a ton of excellent gouge on this website that can lead you on the right path.

The general requirements of BDCP that are listed online read as:
  • Be a U.S. Citizen;
  • Be at least 18 but not more than 34 before degree completion. (Most officer programs have lower age requirements.);
  • Meet Navy physical standards;
  • Have a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale;
  • Be enrolled in or accepted for transfer to a regionally accredited four-year college or university with at least 30 semester hours or 45 quarter-hours of accredited college or university credit.
Tiz84 hit it on the nail about talking to the Officer recruiter (I found that enlisted recruiters in my area had no idea about the BDCP). The recruiter can give you specific information on what you should do, when they initially screen you over the phone.

fox2102

My biggest obsticals right now are my physical fitness and my GPA. I've run into alot of problems keeping my GPA up due to personal and finacial problems. I'm not that far off I dont believe. I think I have a 2.5 or a 2.6 but that should come up by the end of this quarter.

My gym teacher said I was a physical train wreck. I'm not too over weight i dont believe. I weigh around 215lbs. I need to lose about 50lbs I would say. I dont look at it as something I cant do I just think it's going to take time and effort. Problem is that I dont have a gym anywhere close to my town and finding a place to run close to my house is hard to do since people have been hit by cars when checking their mail. I hate these back country roads. I have thinking about investing in a home gym but since I'm not working at the moment (whole nother story in itself) I can only rely on what my parents can give me. So any suggestions on what I can do to build my strength up? I've spent the last 8 years of my life behind a computer screen so I'm pretty out of shape

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Hey man, if I can do it, anyone can. I was a taco bell-addicted case of beer every weekend, nothing but fast food all the time slack-nasty as of July '07. I began in August at 241, and am 179 now. Just have to start making better choices and stop making excuses.

Don't know what to tell you about the getting hit by cars thing, just find somewhere to run and do it religiously!

fox2102

Hey man, if I can do it, anyone can. I was a taco bell-addicted case of beer every weekend, nothing but fast food all the time slack-nasty as of July '07. I began in August at 241, and am 179 now. Just have to start making better choices and stop making excuses.

Don't know what to tell you about the getting hit by cars thing, just find somewhere to run and do it religiously!

Exacally. I've already lost some weight. I use to weigh like 230. My problem is that i've never really worked out so i'm not real sure on how to do it properly. I use to run quite a bit but it never seemed to do any good. I get frustrated easy as well. Any suggestions on how to deal with the frustration and not quite?

flopper

Exacally. I've already lost some weight. I use to weigh like 230. My problem is that i've never really worked out so i'm not real sure on how to do it properly. I use to run quite a bit but it never seemed to do any good. I get frustrated easy as well. Any suggestions on how to deal with the frustration and not quite?

Frustration is something that only you can deal with. In short, if exercising and you feel pain, you are doing something wrong.

Cams1215

start with small goals. If you set goals that are unattainable, every time you fail to hit a goal you take a big hit and it makes you not want to continue. Also dont over do it right at the beginning. Start by running 3 times a week, and lifting 2 times a week. After a few weeks you will see yourself making progress, so you add to your workouts. Another few weeks will go by and you will be hitting new goals, then add another workout day. So at this point you are lifting 3 times a week and running 4 or 5 times per week.

A mistake people make is hitting it too hard too quick, the body is not ready for the shock, so you go run 5 miles (pace doesnt matter at this point) and then lift like a maniac, your body will say "no thanks" and you wont want to continue.

The other big thing is dont miss a workout or a run. All it takes is the first one, then you start rationalizing, saying its a "day of rest" and then you'll do it again. Not you, personally, but a you as in I've worked at health clubs and have a sports management degree, and these are the trends that you see.

Start small, work hard, work smart, and stay dedicated to your plan. Good Luck

fox2102

Is there anything I can do around the house to substitue for running on rainy days or when I dont have the gas to get to the track?

bluesig1

sure thing
None
10 mins with a jump rope will work your heart the same as an 8 min mile. As for other exercises to do at home, look around online on fitness sites I am sure there is a ton of information out there. I know Men's health magazine always lists different types of exercises that you can do at home that can work you pretty hard.