• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Working Uniform Type II and III - finally something sailors can wear....

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'd just like to know the backstory on how a non-combatant earned a combat award. It's probably very interesting.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd just like to know the backstory on how a non-combatant earned a combat award. It's probably very interesting.
When you envision the role of a Chaplain in a Marine infantry unit during a time of war, what does that picture look like?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
When you envision the role of a Chaplain in a Marine infantry unit during a time of war, what does that picture look like?
A lot more combat action than a Growler EWO ?‍♂️

Not gonna mince words here, since you've obviously taken this aggressive and condescending tack.

In any case, when I think of Chaplains in a combat zone, I think of Father Mulcahy from M.A.S.H. He represented someone who placed a high value on his neutrality throughout the war and considered being a non-combatant important to his role as the clergy.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot more combat action than a Growler EWO ?‍♂️

Not gonna mince words here, since you've obviously taken this aggressive and condescending tack.
If you’re uncomfortable discussing it, we can simply move on.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Considering 4 of those 9 were from the Civil War, I think it's at least remarkable that Chaplain wears a combat device in today's military.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I don't know anything. When I think of military chaplains that are deployed in theatre/combat area this is what comes to mind:

Also my First Class Midshipman cruise was 8 weeks aboard USS Capodanno (FF-1093) named for Fr. Vincent Capodanno who received the MoH for his actions on the battlefield in Vietnam.....

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A combat award doesn't necessarily mean it was for offensive action let alone being the proximate cause of enemy KIA.

Protecting Chaplains in combat is one of the duties of an RP, or whatever they call them now. So, like in the video clip above, it is expected Chaplains will face combat.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

There's also the Soldier's Medal. Notable recipients section includes Colin Powell for rescuing two fellow soldiers from a crashed helo in Vietnam. Seems to be roughly equivalent to the Navy and Marine Corps Medal.