• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Working Uniform Type II and III - finally something sailors can wear....

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Someone say bold?

:D

I never wore dungarees (I was never enlisted) so my opinion on them doesn't have much credibility, but I thought they were a functional, traditional working uniform. When you have something that simply works and it's the same thing that worked in your dad's day and your grandfather's...

I had utilities, wasn’t old enough to get dungarees. I didn’t mind the utilities but they did take a lot of work to make look sharp. My biggest complaint with them was that I looked like a garage mechanic, like you said there wasn’t much heritage to the uniform.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
That’s dumb and pointless. The Navy should have just copied the Coast Guard for a functional, not stupid looking uniform.

Edit: not sure why everything is bold, only wanted your sentence about senior leaders bolded

Ironically, the Coasties will likely be adopting the blue version of the new shipboard working uniform that's being developed currently. At least that's according to my buddies in the Coast Guard.

I actually like this new, fire resistant uniform and am happy to get away from camo patterns unless I'm with a special unit that needs it. As long as the new ones are cut generously like the Type Is/old BDUs/ACUs and made of summer weight material instead of the heavy winter weight cordura that the Type Is were made of, I'll be a happy camper.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ironically, the Coasties will likely be adopting the blue version of the new shipboard working uniform that's being developed currently. At least that's according to my buddies in the Coast Guard.

I actually like this new, fire resistant uniform and am happy to get away from camo patterns unless I'm with a special unit that needs it. As long as the new ones are cut generously like the Type Is/old BDUs/ACUs and made of summer weight material instead of the heavy winter weight cordura that the Type Is were made of, I'll be a happy camper.
TBH, the new shipboard uniform doesn't look bad. That and bags would be fine if we, by which I mean the entire Department of the Navy, would just get over our whole unnecessary constipation about where/when people can wear working uniforms. Can the Type III for everyone outside of NSW, issue that to everyone, and have it so you can either wear that, a bag, or flight deck gear underway. In port/ashore, authorize that and bags everywhere NWUs are authorized now. This isn't hard.

Pags

N/A
pilot
TBH, the new shipboard uniform doesn't look bad. That and bags would be fine if we, by which I mean the entire Department of the Navy, would just get over our whole unnecessary constipation about where/when people can wear working uniforms. Can the Type III for everyone outside of NSW, issue that to everyone, and have it so you can either wear that, a bag, or flight deck gear underway. In port/ashore, authorize that and bags everywhere NWUs are authorized now. This isn't hard.
Spot on. Only addition is to keep some form of cheap coveralls for dirty work.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry, but as nice and comfortable as a bag is, I hate it as any sort of liberty or ordinary public uniform. The reason we like it is because it is comfortable, loose and doesnt need shit for care (read wrinkly). Why not just wear Navy sweat pants and sweat shirts? The look is the same. Hated the rules in my day. But authorized wear thru the gate and "brief" stops is all we ever wanted. Now you have it. I cringe when I see an AF dude at a podium making a speach or meeting the media in a flight suit. Not being able to take the time to dress in equivalent civilian attire as everyone else is disrespectful. Now, get the hell off my lawn!!

Birdbrain

pilot
Sorry, but as nice and comfortable as a bag is, I hate it as any sort of liberty or ordinary public uniform. The reason we like it is because it is comfortable, loose and doesnt need shit for care (read wrinkly). Why not just wear Navy sweat pants and sweat shirts? The look is the same. Hated the rules in my day. But authorized wear thru the gate and "brief" stops is all we ever wanted. Now you have it. I cringe when I see an AF dude at a podium making a speach or meeting the media in a flight suit. Not being able to take the time to dress in equivalent civilian attire as everyone else is disrespectful. Now, get the hell off my lawn!!
Sir I think the regs these days allow driving in your car and brief stops on the way to and from work. Personally I interpret that as gas stations, groceries, and takeout. Marines (Happy Birthday) are more restricted as they can't stop at all unless it's an emergency.

Honestly I get a little sehnsucht when I see old movies with servicemen on liberty or leave in service dress uniforms.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It has been a long time since I have felt like looking over my shoulder whilst quickly grabbing some items at a grocery store in the bags on the way home from work due to old time regs. Not really sure what merit those regs had other than the perennial argument of "well we didn't do it that way in my day". I don't know what squadron authorizes aviators to roll around in wrinkled up soiled bags at work or otherwise, but I haven't been in it. Pretty sure nobody is offended by the dude out in a navy town in uniform (whatever it may be) buying some scallions and a flank steak for dinner.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Sir I think the regs these days allow driving in your car and brief stops on the way to and from work. Personally I interpret that as gas stations, groceries, and takeout. Marines (Happy Birthday) are more restricted as they can't stop at all unless it's an emergency.

USN, you're allowed to wear it pretty much as any other uniform allowed off base, except, no drinking in it. (National Capital Region notwithstanding as that has its own rules.)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Back in my day we wore our flight suits to lunch at the golf course diner on base- and sometimes we had a beer. Luckily we (the collective "we") pulled back from the abyss.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It has been a long time since I have felt like looking over my shoulder whilst quickly grabbing some items at a grocery store in the bags on the way home from work due to old time regs. Not really sure what merit those regs had other than the perennial argument of "well we didn't do it that way in my day". I don't know what squadron authorizes aviators to roll around in wrinkled up soiled bags at work or otherwise, but I haven't been in it. Pretty sure nobody is offended by the dude out in a navy town in uniform (whatever it may be) buying some scallions and a flank steak for dinner.
As I said, I am OK with current bag regs. It is what we wanted under the old regs, which was no wear through the gate at all. This is what prompted my comment.
In port/ashore, authorize that and bags everywhere NWUs are authorized now.
I am sure lots of guys would love to wear flight suits everywhere for most any reason. That is why I specified my observations of USAF wear. All our uniforms have an equivelant civilian attire that makes sense. Imagining equivelant civilian attire to a flight suit pretty much informs the policy on wear.