• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Navy to end ending all enlisted ratings!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Hell yeah - the acknowledgement and subsequent minimization ("no female sailors I've ever talked with") is trying to have it both ways.

The other two points are salient and obvious.

Can we go back to discussing how batshit insane it is to think that there's a cabal of Sandinistas - and that Sal has a "source" on the inside?

Cause that's nuts.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
That's why I set that point aside from Hair Warrior's post. It's ridiculous and was dismissed as such. Moving beyond that, can you really, in three bullets or less provide good reasons (other than SECNAV said so, which is quite obvious) for the change? Not an attack, but a legitimate question. Shielding behind Sal's ridiculous statement kinda skirts the issue, no?

Duc'-guy25

pilot
- incoming SECNAV (depending on POTUS) may very well reverse the decision, and Navy goes back to ratings like nothing ever happened

Honestly, by July next year I can see them saying "F*ck it, they can have their ancient ways." There's going to be push back until the current Seaman Apprentice that just got to his first boat two months ago retires as MCPON.

I really don't understand that if they wanted to modernize the rating system, why they didn't develop NOS codes, and your whatever rate your primary NOS falls under is the rate that titles you. (Think Infantryman 03xx: 0311-rifleman, 0331-machine gunner, 0351-assualtman). Seems like it would have satisfied the need to put sailors where they need to be, and allow 241 years in tradition to continue.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can we go back to discussing how batshit insane it is to think that there's a cabal of Sandinistas - and that Sal has a "source" on the inside?

Sal does himself and his readers a disservice with fixating on the his diversity bugaboo so much, it detracts from his much better commentary. His off the wall claim about a cabal ultra-left wingers is just further proof of that. I wonder, is Fester one of 'them'?!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
His off the wall claim about a cabal ultra-left wingers is just further proof of that. I wonder, is Fester one of 'them'?!
We are not allowed to get into classified discussions on this site about Fester's undercover work infiltrating the cabal. ;)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Jack McCain in War on the Rocks:

My favorite part:

"Smith’s writing and the exhortations of other advocates of this change comprise an effort to paint those reluctant to dismiss 240 years of culture and deeply held identity as irrational traditionalists guilty of the worst of 21st century sins: not being innovative. If you listen to some in the cult of disruptors, tradition is simply a roadblock to progress."

Pags

N/A
pilot

My favorite part:

"Smith’s writing and the exhortations of other advocates of this change comprise an effort to paint those reluctant to dismiss 240 years of culture and deeply held identity as irrational traditionalists guilty of the worst of 21st century sins: not being innovative. If you listen to some in the cult of disruptors, tradition is simply a roadblock to progress."
Jack's good people. It was always nice to find out he was the Flower; meant some good conversation when he was in tower.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

My favorite part:

In related news....

On Monday, Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain, R-Ariz., wrote to Carter asking him to “suspend all efforts on the development and implementation of rules and regulations at the Department of Defense that would change long-standing policy, including with regard to military personnel ratings, standards, uniforms, job titles, and related issues.”

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
When I first hard of this I was a little bit pissed off. I was an aviation Machinist's Mate in the 80's. When I went to "A" school they were trying a new idea. I didn't go to Millington for "A" school, I went to HS-10 at North Island. All I was taught was SH-3 Sea Kings. No other aircraft, no mechanical theory, just a four week long class on the T-58 engine and the rotor systems, followed up by a few weeks OJT. It was up to me to learn the rest of it on my own. When I took my rating exams for E-4 and E-5 there wasn't a single question on the test that was based on what I did. My E-4 exam was mainly about P-3 and C-130 propeller pitch zones and rigging their throttle cables. E-5 was heavy on Tomcats and Intruders. I wanted my A&P license and would volunteer to help other squadrons on my own time, so I was able to pass my exams, but, a lot of others couldn't. If this new system is followed up by corresponding changes in the rating exams so that say a helicopter mech could test on helicopters instead of patrol planes then I could be in favor of it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If this new system is followed up by corresponding changes in the rating exams so that say a helicopter mech could test on helicopters instead of patrol planes then I could be in favor of it.
I can't imagine that they would tailor rating exams to a specific platform, nor do we really want our maintainers to be so narrowly focused. Let's be honest, from an organizational point of view, the rating exam has very little to do with what you work with on a day to day basis. It's largely a barrier to entry for the next higher pay grade. In broad terms, those who are motivated to study and score well will be rewarded, while those who blow it off will not.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I can't imagine that they would tailor rating exams to a specific platform, nor do we really want our maintainers to be so narrowly focused. Let's be honest, from an organizational point of view, the rating exam has very little to do with what you work with on a day to day basis. It's largely a barrier to entry for the next higher pay grade. In broad terms, those who are motivated to study and score well will be rewarded, while those who blow it off will not.
I agree with not wanting maintainers to be narrow focused, but, we have no rates anymore. It was said that a person could hold more than one specialty, so count specialties towards promotion. Personally, the amount of time that we spent working with the Airframes shop, because our systems were so interrelated, I could have probably qualified for a helicopter powerplants specialty and a helicopter airframes specialty code. Now that I think about it, toss in a helicopter electrician code as well. Several of the people that I worked with in Airframes and Electrical could have probably qualified in Powerplants as well. We were a small squadron and everybody pitched in. Some of our Storekeepers and Personnel people were not half bad maintainers in a pinch.