• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Navy to end ending all enlisted ratings!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is anyone else just ignoring the change and continuing to call HM2 by HM2?

You wouldn't have to be talking to a HM2 at all if you didn't keep needing those penicillin shots...

It's interesting to see how this has been handled at different squadrons. Some try and meet the intent, but then revert when it actually matters, others just seem to be ignoring it in day-to-day ops. I think the novelty of the absurdity of the situation has started to wear off and now people are just going back to calling each other by their rates.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I keep doing it when addressing people or in emails, but it's really just due to habit, not necessarily out of me whipping my metaphorical dick out against the policy.

When chopping my chief's SOY packages though, I did circle every time he put down AWO1 with a sad face though :( Mainly because I knew it was going to have to be changed.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'm not going to call SECNAV or VADM Burke idiots, but some of the things they're saying.....

-----------------------

The Navy’s Enlisted Rating Modernization Plan
By Vice Adm. Robert Burke, Chief of Naval Personnel

"There has been a lot of discussion since we announced the Navy’s rating modernization plan on September 29. I’ve been following the conversation closely, and it’s clear that many were surprised by this announcement.

While there is rarely a right or perfect time to roll out a plan as significant and ambitious as this rating modernization effort, I firmly believe this change needs to occur, and now is the right time to do so. Throughout our rich 241 year history, the U.S. Navy’s consistent advantage has come from its Sailors. You are our asymmetric advantage in an increasingly complex world – you are our prized possession, our secret weapon. In recognition of that, we continuously work to ensure that we develop and deploy our Sailors is the most modern and effective system possible. This is just our latest effort to modernize our personnel system – one of hundreds we’ve made in the past.

The objectives of this effort are simple: flexibility, flexibility and flexibility. First, we will provide flexibility in what a Sailor can do in our Navy, by enabling career moves between occupations to ensure continued advancement opportunity and upward mobility as the needs of a rapidly adapting Navy change. Second, we will provide flexibility in assignment choice – a Sailor with the right mix of plug and play skills will have more choices for ship type, home port, timing, sea/shore rotation, even special and incentive pays! Finally, we will provide you more flexibility after you leave the Navy, by providing civilian credentialing opportunities – in other words, giving you credit in the civilian job market for your Navy education and experience.

This effort will take us several years to complete, and we will include you in the process as we work through it – we’re just getting started and you will be involved as we go. Many questions remain unanswered, and we’ll get to them - together. There will be fleet involvement throughout.

Here’s the rough breakdown of the project, as we see it today:

• Phase 1 (now through Sep 2017) – redefine career fields and map out cross-occupation opportunities. Identify career groupings to define those rating moves that can be done, and that also translate to civilian occupational certifications.
• Phase 2 (now through Sep 2018, will run parallel with Phase 1) – examine the best way forward for how we best align our processes for:
o Recruiting and initial job classification
o Planning for accessions - the numbers and mix of skills for folks we recruit
o Advancements – how do we define what is required for advancement if you are capable of several skill sets? Do we eliminate advancement exams altogether?
o Detailing processes
o Pay processes - to include things like SRB, Assignment Incentive Pay, etc.
o Reenlistment rules
• Phase 3 (now through Sep 2018) – updating underlying policy documents, instructions, things like applicable BUPERSINST, OPNAVINST, and the Navy Enlisted Occupational Standards Manual. This will include changes to how we handle things like Evaluations and Awards.
• Phase 4 (began last year, expect to go through Sep 2019) – identify and put in place the underlying IT systems. This is probably the most complex and game changing aspect of the project.
• Phase 5 (Sep 2017 through Sep 2018) – redesign the Navy rating badges. The idea is to hold off on this until we settle on the right definition of career fields, to better inform the conversation on the way ahead in this area.
• Phase 6 (Sept. 2019 and beyond) – continuous improvement, further integration with all Sailor 2025 initiatives.

I am committed to ensuring you have a voice in the way ahead. Toward that end, I am aggressively expanding the membership and avenues of communication into the Navy-wide working group that has been assembled to tackle this project. As we go forward, your feedback matters and we want to hear from you during each phase of the transformation. You can expect lots of discussion on this as we learn and adapt the plan to make it deliver on the objectives. Have conversations with your Senior Enlisted Leaders, who are armed with how to move those conversations forward. You also have a direct line to me in order to make sure your ideas are heard – send them to NavyRatingMod@gmail.com.

We are proud members of numerous different tribes within the Navy – our occupations, warfare specialties, ships and squadrons – we must always remember that there is one Sailor’s Creed and we are one NAVY TEAM supporting and defending our Nation. This modernization will make us more capable as individuals and a Navy
."

----------------------

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'm not going to call SECNAV or VADM Burke idiots, but some of the things they're saying.....

-----------------------

The Navy’s Enlisted Rating Modernization Plan
By Vice Adm. Robert Burke, Chief of Naval Personnel

"There has been a lot of . . . . . . . words. I firmly believe this change needs to occur, and now is the right time to do so.

I just finished reading the threads on how the AB is dealing with severely under resourced air wings, how the Marine Corps' H-53 program is a complete disaster, and, not to mention, the DoD defense budget outlook, oh, and let's not forget ditching Blueberry's for another, incredibly stupid uniform for Fleet Sailors, and NOW is the time to completely re-vamp the enlisted rating system? Seriously ??

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I just finished reading the threads on how the AB is dealing with severely under resourced air wings, how the Marine Corps' H-53 program is a complete disaster, and, not to mention, the DoD defense budget outlook, oh, and let's not forget ditching Blueberry's for another, incredibly stupid uniform for Fleet Sailors, and NOW is the time to completely re-vamp the enlisted rating system? Seriously ??
Well... look at it this way: apparently bad luck doesn't come in threes.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
"[I heard you are not happy]

... I ... believe this change needs to occur... now... . [fluf] You are.. our secret weapon. ... we ... work to ensure that we develop ... our Sailors is [sic] the most [buzzwords]. [We have made hundreds of modifications to the personnel system in the past]
The objectives of this effort are simple: flexibility, [buzzwords]. First, we will provide flexibility in what a Sailor can do in our Navy, by enabling career moves between occupations [buzzwords]. Second, we will provide flexibility in assignment choice – a Sailor with the right mix of ... skills will have more choices..., [(We are going to mention that you may get paid more without any plan for how to do that)] Finally, we will provide you more flexibility after you leave the Navy, by providing civilian credentialing opportunities... . [(Again, another dream without a plan)]

This effort will take us several years to complete, and we will [ask for opinions and then tell you what decisions we make]. Many questions remain unanswered, and [we don't have a clue] There will be fleet involvement throughout. [!!!!]

[We just made up a timeline yesterday. The dates are made up and the points don't matter:]
• Phase 1 (now through Sep 2017) –
redefine career fields and [buzzwords]
• Phase 2 (now through Sep 2018, will run parallel with Phase 1) – [Look at how we are going to move forward. Our goals are:]
o Recruiting ...
o ... accessions ...
o Advancements...
o Detailing..
o Pay processes...
o Reenlistment...
[We conveniently left out a phase or date when we make a decision]
• Phase 3 (now through Sep 2018) – updating underlying policy documents...
• Phase 4 (began [before Phase 1, but the points don't mater], [we don't know when it will end]) –[fix NAVFIT98, BBD, C-WAY etc.]
• Phase 5 (Sep 2017 through Sep 2018) – redesign the Navy rating badges. [We are just going to say this but we have no clue if we are going to have rating badges]
• Phase 6 (Sept. 2019 and beyond) – [Buzzwords]

[I didn't consult you about the last change we made, but this time will be different. I pinky swear.] NavyRatingMod@gmail.com. [We all know gmail is better than NMCI]

[Buzzwords] This modernization will make us more capable as individuals and a Navy
."

I hate to be talked down to. I think this is a better edited version of the article. I did leave the typo in though. I'm not an English major.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
"First, we will provide flexibility in what a Sailor can do in our Navy, by enabling career moves between occupations"

1a. Why must ratings must be converted to xxxx codes to achieve this?

"...to ensure continued advancement opportunity and upward mobility as the needs of a rapidly adapting Navy change."

1b. How does current system does not effectively achieve this?

"Second, we will provide flexibility in assignment choice – a Sailor with the right mix of plug and play skills will have more choices"

2. How is that incompatible with current rating system?

"...for ship type, home port, timing, sea/shore rotation, even special and incentive pays!"

3. Said the P-word! (pay). But seriously, why is better pay attached to converting ratings to NOS codes?

"Finally, we will provide you more flexibility after you leave the Navy, by providing civilian credentialing opportunities"

4. Why aren't civilian credentialing opportunities available under old system?

"...in other words, giving you credit in the civilian job market for your Navy education and experience."

5. OK, I get it. We're stupid, and in last 20 years (despite TAP/TGPS/LinkedIn) haven't figured out how to convert navy experience to a resume. Obviously it's better to just abolish ratings, and switch to a NOS code, which civilians will easily understand, obviously....LOL.

End of the day, this is kiiindan insulting to the majority of members who can see this is all a smoke screen for the SECNAV+ agenda. If you want to be inclusive and get ride of male titles, commit and be up front about it. If you want to throw in the chaff and flare about resumes, pay, and opportunity, you're kidding yourself.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
CDR Salamander on his Midrats podcast had a couple interesting points:

- the old ratings were probably a legitimate equality issue...to "sailors you could count of one hand," but no female sailors he'd ever met

- CNO and MCPON were just following a lawful order

- incoming SECNAV (depending on POTUS) may very well reverse the decision, and Navy goes back to ratings like nothing ever happened

- he thinks there is a secret cabal of ultra-left-wing policy pushers in uniform because he has a HUMINT source inside the cabal

Last edited: