• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Navy to end ending all enlisted ratings!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was involved with some of this process. There's a lot of sensible reasons behind the changes, and as valuable as tradition is, the rating system was causing a lot of problems. This is kind of a cut-the-knot solution, but it needed doing.

I am glad SECNAV decided to keep "Seaman" in use. We couldn't come up with an alternative that didn't sound dumb.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
"This change will also allow the Navy to more accurately identify Sailors’ skills by creating “Navy Occupational Specialty” (NOS) codes that allow greater assignment flexibility for Sailors throughout their career and will be matched with similar civilian occupations to enable the Navy to identify credentials and certifications recognized and valued within the civilian workforce. For example, a Petty Officer who used to be identified as a corpsman will now have a NOS matched as a medical technician. Medical technician better reflects the work and responsibilities of someone in that position and is better aligned with the civilian medical profession. Sailors will be able to hold more than one NOS, which will give them a broader range of professional experience and expertise and will be grouped under career fields that will enable flexibility to move between occupational specialties within the fields and will be tied to training and qualifications."

Because Fit -v- Fill isn't already a nightmare...

I get it, and to be honest, from where Crazy Ol' Man Mabus started - it could've been a lot worse, but what we call each other is less important to me than having the right people to do the right jobs with the right experience/expertise. I'm very interested to see what the NOS assignment/management/ ends up looking like.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Wow, USNI news article comments are the Naval version of other news sites' comments section. For some reason, I expected something more measured.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
CDR Salamander brings his own special brand of commentator to USNI's web presence.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CDR Salamander brings his own special brand of commentator to USNI's web presence.
Yeah, the Phib, while never having met a hobby horse not worth flogging to death, still posts some thought-provoking content. But that comment section . . . yeesh.

foilhats_400.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Because Fit -v- Fill isn't already a nightmare...

How would this be different? Honest question. While Fit/Fill does tend to focus on the rating, it still looks at the NEC. Seems like the NOS is just the NEC in tactical clothing. For example, while you may have a billet labeled for an AWR, that AWR can't fill the billet if he doesn't have the the sub-NECs that go with the primary NEC (unless he's an E-9). And the Reserve side is even "easier," since the RFAS codes don't have to match the rate if it's set up that way.

I'm cautiously wondering if the new NOS system won't make it a little easier once they revamp the system. That said, I'm not sure what the hell I'm going to call my crewman now. Oh wait, I'll probably still call him/her "AWx."

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I stopped reading at the SECNAV diversity claptrap... because this clearly isn't about the sailors at all.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
How would this be different? Honest question. While Fit/Fill does tend to focus on the rating, it still looks at the NEC. Seems like the NOS is just the NEC in tactical clothing. For example, while you may have a billet labeled for an AWR, that AWR can't fill the billet if he doesn't have the the sub-NECs that go with the primary NEC (unless he's an E-9). And the Reserve side is even "easier," since the RFAS codes don't have to match the rate if it's set up that way.

I'm cautiously wondering if the new NOS system won't make it a little easier once they revamp the system. That said, I'm not sure what the hell I'm going to call my crewman now. Oh wait, I'll probably still call him/her "AWx."

The question I have is when you have, let's say, a PR1 like person (not a PR1 anymore) who also has, let's say, an AZ NOS (the article says they can for career flexibility), who gets to decide what NOS they're going to use for the purpose of detailing? A squadron is still going to need to have X number of PR-like and AZ-like people onboard. In this case, would one person count for both billets?