• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Navy to end ending all enlisted ratings!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
but, we have no rates anymore
Not really. Fundamentally, nothing has changed except what we're supposed to call people. The Airframes shop is still the Airframes shop and it's full of the same airframers. As for holding more than one "specialty," we already do that too. Lots of people have multiple NECs from different platforms. I don't think the intent is to create some kind of hybrid AM/AD or anything like that. To put it in perspective, all of the supposed benefits associated with the policy change are either things that already occurred under the old system, or completely imagined in order to sell the change and make it seem beneficial to Sailors. I don't think anyone who has looked at this with a critical eye can conclude differently.

At the end of the day, the policy that SECNAV decides on is the way it is - I just don't think we're doing justice to our Sailors when the policy change is unveiled along with a punch bowl full of Kood-Aid and a litany of highly suspect "advantages" that don't stand up to scrutiny.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
We were a small squadron and everybody pitched in. Some of our Storekeepers and Personnel people were not half bad maintainers in a pinch.

I could not envision anything like this happening today (beyond the fact we don't have Storekeepers anymore).

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Sure we do, they're just called an LS (or used to be).

Yeah, I get that; I'm saying I cannot picture a single one of my LS's being allowed near an aircraft with any sort of tool, or a CS, IS, MA, YN, or a PS for that matter of the smattering of ratings in an HSC CVW command. The closest we came was an AW who gave up flying status working the line shack and before long he got pulled and became a permanent watch stander. Is this experience not the case in the VAQ / VFA world?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I get that; I'm saying I cannot picture a single one of my LS's being allowed near an aircraft with any sort of tool, or a CS, IS, MA, YN, or a PS for that matter of the smattering of ratings in an HSC CVW command. The closest we came was an AW who gave up flying status working the line shack and before long he got pulled and became a permanent watch stander. Is this experience not the case in the VAQ / VFA world?
Well, it's a little different than in the helo community where HSL (later exped) AWs have a history of being required to get their PC quals and become PR CDIs - more or less out of necessity. You're right, in that an LS would probably never be asked to turn a wrench, but many of them started out in the line shack as PCs - at least many of mine did, and I wouldn't bat an eye if they helped out by doing a DTA if they maintained their quals. When I was an HSL Ordie, I did all the vibe analysis and oftentimes did the PCR and TR adjustments - mostly because I enjoyed doing something out of my rate. If an LS in my squadron showed the initiative to get his or her turn qual, I would support it unequivocally.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Well, it's a little different than in the helo community where HSL (later exped) AWs have a history of being required to get their PC quals and become PR CDIs - more or less out of necessity. You're right, in that an LS would probably never be asked to turn a wrench, but many of them started out in the line shack as PCs - at least many of mine did, and I wouldn't bat an eye if they helped out by doing a DTA if they maintained their quals. When I was an HSL Ordie, I did all the vibe analysis and oftentimes did the PCR and TR adjustments - mostly because I enjoyed doing something out of my rate. If an LS in my squadron showed the initiative to get his or her turn qual, I would support it unequivocally.

Got it. Yeah, that's true, I forgot that a lot of the exped squadrons have their AW's become PCs and PR's. Underway our PR shop was super undermanned and we had them help out in there as I am now recalling; but even then I was thinking the admin type jobs of CS, MA, LS, YN, and PS - and none of them would have EVER been seen near an aircraft, but that's great you're creating a more encompassing culture there, sir.

flynsail

pilot
The leadership decides to go gender neutral by changing the rating structure. Got it. They try to not spook the herd by telling them it will increase their job prospects. Classic.

They should fix TGPS if they really care about a Petty Officer's job prospects outside of the Navy. Instead of TGPS being facilitated by retired folks or anyone else with zero job recruiting experience, actively hire former HR folks. Nothing was more disappointing than witnessing our guys and gals leave the service with that check in the box.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Frankly, I don't think that there's much the services can do to make transitioning servicemembers more attractive to civilian employers in any meaningful way. It's up to the individual to figure that kind of thing out. I haven't been through any of the various transition courses (TAPS, TGPS, or the various executive versions), but in today's information environment, if a person can't figure out how to properly craft a résumé and sell themselves to a potential employer, then I wouldn't want to hire them in the first place.

Coasting through an enlistment or two doesn't automatically make anyone an attractive prospect in the job market. We have to stop pretending that military service does that.

exNavyOffRec

Frankly, I don't think that there's much the services can do to make transitioning service-members more attractive to civilian employers in any meaningful way. It's up to the individual to figure that kind of thing out. I haven't been through any of the various transition courses (TAPS, TGPS, or the various executive versions), but in today's information environment, if a person can't figure out how to properly craft a résumé and sell themselves to a potential employer, then I wouldn't want to hire them in the first place.

Coasting through an enlistment or two doesn't automatically make anyone an attractive prospect in the job market. We have to stop pretending that military service does that.

I would say yes and no, there are things the military can do to help a service member out such as bringing in current corporate recruiters to talk at transition classes, especially the ones that are local to where the member is getting out at, yes you can find some info about what some companies look for, but not all have current info out there, and members getting out need to have a realistic view of the job market and TAP paints a nice picture with rainbows and unicorns.

I am pretty confident that just about anyone who has served at least one enlistment and done average can get a job that will lead to good things in their future, IF they can write a good resume, but getting rid of rates isn't going to do that, it is all about taking what we do and writing it in civilian language for civilian recruiters so they understand. It seems to me that the CNO and other senior officers don't get that.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Frankly, I don't think that there's much the services can do to make transitioning servicemembers more attractive to civilian employers in any meaningful way. It's up to the individual to figure that kind of thing out. I haven't been through any of the various transition courses (TAPS, TGPS, or the various executive versions), but in today's information environment, if a person can't figure out how to properly craft a résumé and sell themselves to a potential employer, then I wouldn't want to hire them in the first place.

I think the most common significant handicap guys have when leaving the service is having no idea how to find and land a job, and that it's not the same as haggling with the detailer.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Well, it appears that the navy decided to change its mind:

https://www.facebook.com/CNORichardson/
"The Rating modernization Navadmin being shared on Facebook is accurate. The draft that was posted this evening was a copy shared with leadership as an early look. The official Navadmin will be released tomorrow morning at 0800et via message traffic...with additional social media products to follow...stay tuned."

And the Draft:
SUBJ/NAVY RATING MODERNIZATION NEXT STEPS//

RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces updates to the implementation effort to transform current Navy Enlisted Career Management processes.

2. This NAVADMIN supersedes NAVADMIN 218/16 and directs the restoration of Navy Rating Titles.

3. Our goals for modernizing the enlisted career development program – rating modernization – are to provide greater choice and flexibility for our Sailors with respect to detailing and training, to provide greater flexibility for the Navy in assigning highly trained personnel, and to increase professional alignment with civilian employers. We strongly believe that providing this flexibility will make us a more capable Navy.

4. Since we made the initial rating modernization announcement in September, the SECNAV, MCPON and I, along with other Navy leadership, have had the opportunity to speak with thousands of Sailors during our travels throughout the fleet. The feedback from current and former Sailors has been consistent that there is wide support for the flexibility that the plan offers, but the removal of rating titles detracted from accomplishing our major goals. Furthermore, there has been a solid body of thoughtful input that pointed out that there is a way to have the benefits of the rating modernization program without removing rating titles.

5. I have been adamant that our Navy needs to be a fast-learning organization - that includes our leadership. The Design for Maintaining Maritime Superiority states that our most junior teammate may have the best idea and that we must be open to capturing that idea. We have learned from you, and so effective immediately, all rating names are restored.

6. This course correction doesn’t mean our work is done – rating modernization will continue for all the right reasons. Modernizing our industrial-age personnel system in order to provide Sailors choice and flexibility still remains a priority for us. As we execute the rating modernization plan, more Sailors will have multiple occupational skill sets or ratings. We will need to tackle the issue of managing rating names. We will continue to involve Sailors throughout the Fleet, using the Rating Modernization working group to figure out how to best do that.

7. Every Fleet, Force and Command Master Chief, and all Navy Counselors know how to provide input to our working groups. You also have a direct line to send your ideas to me at “NavyRatingMod.fct@navy.mil”.

8. Learning faster requires having a plan, getting feedback, and quickly acting on that feedback. This adjustment reflects our commitment to fast learning at every level. As this process moves forward we will continue to assess our performance and correct our course as appropriate.

10. Released by Adm. John Richardson, CNO.//

BT
NNNN
UNCLASSIFIE