• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Reserve COVID Vaccinations by October

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recognizing other viewpoints doesn't mean that all of them are valid or worthwhile, but I know you have trouble seeing shades of gray. Let's compare...

Viewpoints worth considering:
  • Taking steps to promote inclusivity in the workplace
  • Listening to women and minority groups to understand the issues that affect them in the workplace
  • Discharging military members who refuse to follow orders
  • Understanding perceived loss of status by the dominant social group as a path to greater self-awareness
Viewpoints not worth considering:
  • Telling women their concerns about a gender neutral workplace aren't valid, or a waste of time
  • Telling men that stand up for a gender neutral workplace "pussies"
  • Being a racist, or a Nazi
  • Peddling in hare-brained conspiracies and disinformation about vaccines
As you can see, some ideas are just inherently bad.
You forgot:
  • UFOs

I'll bet if you put your mind to it, you can come up with additional examples for the group to discuss.
I doubt that he can. ??‍♂️

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
So the New England Journal of Medicine is now peddling conspiracy theories?
No, they're not...

"Most of the reported cases that occurred after vaccination had an uneventful course. The take-home messages from the two studies may be that clinically suspected myocarditis is temporally associated with the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine but is rare, is more common in young male patients, and (with a few exceptions) is self-limiting. As acknowledged by the authors, temporal association does not imply causation, and the risk of vaccinal myocarditis is very low. The results of these two studies are valuable for doctors, patients, and the public to reduce the fear of myocarditis as a reason for excluding young people from vaccination, especially since myocarditis has also been temporally associated with Covid-19."

Presenting that article as an argument against vaccine safety is specious, considering the article actually concludes the risk of vaccine-induced myocarditis is extremely low (~2 in 100,000, based on the assumptions that all suspected cases of myocarditis were actual, and that they were caused directly by the vaccine, neither of which the author can confirm, but assumes for the worst-case scenario), and fatal cases are especially rare (one in 5 million). You're more likely to die of COVID (1.6% CFR in the US) than to have a mild self-resolving case of myocarditis from the vaccine (0.002%).

SlickAg

pilot
No, they're not...

"Most of the reported cases that occurred after vaccination had an uneventful course. The take-home messages from the two studies may be that clinically suspected myocarditis is temporally associated with the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine but is rare, is more common in young male patients, and (with a few exceptions) is self-limiting. As acknowledged by the authors, temporal association does not imply causation, and the risk of vaccinal myocarditis is very low. The results of these two studies are valuable for doctors, patients, and the public to reduce the fear of myocarditis as a reason for excluding young people from vaccination, especially since myocarditis has also been temporally associated with Covid-19."

Presenting that article as an argument against vaccine safety is specious, considering the article actually concludes the risk of vaccine-induced myocarditis is extremely low (~2 in 100,000, based on the assumptions that all suspected cases of myocarditis were actual, and that they were caused directly by the vaccine, neither of which the author can confirm, but assumes for the worst-case scenario), and fatal cases are especially rare (one in 5 million). You're more likely to die of COVID (1.6% CFR in the US) than to have a mild self-resolving case of myocarditis from the vaccine (0.002%).
Great job Mr. Holmes. I actually just wanted to see if Brett would read the article before formulating his response. (I’m pretty sure he didn’t.)

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Navy question: At what point will a booster be required to be considered fully vaccinated?

Civilian world comment: The private sector is a total shit show of poor leadership, uneven rules, nontransparency of decisions, and various games of chicken by employees and employers. By going against the federal courts, the executive branch has created a situation ripe for lawsuits and HR complaints. It’s been terrible for the business bottom line for companies that are actually pushing vaccines and fumbling through waiver approvals (rather than just approving the waivers in a timely manner, duh). Clear cases here and there of corporations pushing an ideology that isn’t good for profit making.

That’s too bad. I’ve seen some pretty good examples of leadership in my corner of the civilian world. The company I work for made a policy and stuck by it, and now we have people working under approved religious and medical exemptions. Firings were rare- I know of maybe one person, and I’m not convinced it was vaccine related. During all the inevitable angst during the process, the CEO took the time to listen to feedback from the most vocal folks, and (in my opinion) handled everything as transparently as he could. At the end of the day, the company’s hands are tied, as we’re a government contractor, and Covid vaccine requirements are being written into new contracts now. I have my own opinion about the latter (I don’t agree with it), but my company’s leadership did the best job they could, given the circumstances. I certainly didn’t expect a defense contractor to flip Uncle Sam the bird and go their own way.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You forgot:
  • UFOs
So, you realize that UFOs 100% exist right? They are just objects in the air that haven’t been properly identified yet. (Spoiler alert: they’re all weather balloons.) But the idea that nobody has ever seen a something that they couldn’t identify in the sky, is demonstrably untrue.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So uh, anyone else catch Covid after getting their vaccinations?
No. However, the CDC on the website in its new guidelines just said that the first two doses are only 35% effective, and the booster is 75% effective. Also you are no longer considered fully vaccinated 6 months after the 2nd dose unless you got the booster, and you must quarantine for 5 days if exposed and not fully vaccinated by that new definition.

This will make for an interesting post holiday navadmin.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
All the breakthrough cases I've known personally had a low grade (~102F) fever for a few days, aches, and chills... which is pretty much what the disease does to unvaccinated people under 50.

This week my 10 year old not fully vaccinated daughter caught it. 103F fever that went down to 99 with tylenol for 36 hours, then she was all better. Tested positive with a home test, then the pediatricians office and urgent care center refused to give her a PCR test - which we were pursuing due to school attendance policies wrt her siblings - because she wasn't sick enough.

The big red ass of this is that despite the fact my wife specifically said that she was just there for a COVID-19 test, the UC clinic made her wait to see a doctor before telling her no joy. This not only wasted two hours, but will result in being billed for the visit.

Anyway, I suppose the lack of tests available is the 2nd order consequence of making healthy people take tests to go to work, get on a flight, attend public events, etc.: not enough tests when there are a significant amount of people who are actually sick.

As far as I'm concerned since the home test isn't considered valid and medical professionals deemed her unworthy of a test, ipso facto she never had COVID and the kids are going to school on Monday.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
January is going to be interesting.

With any luck Omicron, with its insane contagiousness, will vaccinate the unvaccinated for us and finish this thing off. The fluoridated water of Covid, poured into the air. It’s almost like it was created in a lab (you heard it here first).