• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot/ NFO "Rolling" Boards MAR/APR 2013

RiseR 25

If they wanted more people in the pipeline, then the size of the air wings would be increased too right?

My guess would be if the Navy wants to expand the overall size of Airwings, yes. BUT, and this is highly speculative... if it is projected that many Air commitments are up and the economy gets better, many will consider the airlines, thus resulting in a "gap" of current Airwing requirements. Highly speculative I admit.

RiseR 25

That's what I asked earlier, but I have not managed to get an answer. Its going to BLOW if they're only choosing those remaining 3 for the NFO designator for the FY-13 classes...as I've heard they're only looking for to fill those classes. Hopefully, it will be the start of FY-14.

I hope so too.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
If they wanted more people in the pipeline, then the size of the air wings would be increased too right?

Because of how long the commitment is and how many years are spent in the training pipeline, a lot of projections of personnel are based on things occurring many years in the future or many years prior. They may, for instance, expect in a few years to see a large # of guys head out the door early - and thus need new people in the pipeline soon to be ready for the fleet in a few years.

So no, the air wings don't need to expand. In fact, the size and numbers today pale in comparison to the heights they were at during the Cold War

AirGuy

My guess would be if the Navy wants to expand the overall size of Airwings, yes. BUT, and this is highly speculative... if it is projected that many Air commitments are up and the economy gets better, many will consider the airlines, thus resulting in a "gap" of current Airwing requirements. Highly speculative I admit.
Because of how long the commitment is and how many years are spent in the training pipeline, a lot of projections of personnel are based on things occurring many years in the future or many years prior. They may, for instance, expect in a few years to see a large # of guys head out the door early - and thus need new people in the pipeline soon to be ready for the fleet in a few years.

So no, the air wings don't need to expand. In fact, the size and numbers today pale in comparison to the heights they were at during the Cold War
I see. Is your reason the same Calculon? Improving economy?Then,

Say you have a aspiring pilot who is single and has no kids / family. Assuming he is fully qualified to become both a military and airline pilot, what are some reasons he would choose airline over mil?

BleedGreen

pilot
The NRD processor reviews it, then sends the APSR to the OACR/OPS for his comments and signature, then back to NRD processor for scanning and uploading, then NRC processor reviews it, then it goes to Program Manager for review who then sends it "to board" often "to board" means scanned and placed on CD for the members.
Thanks for correcting that, didn't mean to give inaccurate information.
On average, do you know how long that process generally takes? Is it unrealistic to think that an application submitted today/tomorrow could be board ready by the end of this week?
Thanks again Chief!

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for correcting that, didn't mean to give inaccurate information.
On average, do you know how long that process generally takes? Is it unrealistic to think that an application submitted today/tomorrow could be board ready by the end of this week?
Thanks again Chief!

It could, you just never know how many were just submitted and such, the best thing is to have an OR that stays on top of things.

Z0gsxr

It's known that the Airlines will be hiring in record numbers in the next 3-4 years. The hiring wave will be larger than any other in the past(or so says all the Airline Pilots Union communication .... The military is expecting a huge amount of aviators to walk away after the initial commitment. The Air Force plans on getting hit very hard(more fixed wing guys) the Air Force is also delaying 0-3 to 0-4 promotions, exacerbating the issue. I don't know if the Navy is doing the same.

I see. Is your reason the same Calculon? Improving economy?Then,

Say you have a aspiring pilot who is single and has no kids / family. Assuming he is fully qualified to become both a military and airline pilot, what are some reasons he would choose airline over mil?

The paycheck I would think... But, it's very costly to pipe into the airlines as a civilian aviator. The amount of time you have to pay out of pocket for is debilitating. Not to mention that while you are earning your stripes as a regional jet pilot you aren't making enough to pay your student loans. With as much time and experience military guys have they often can get an airliner right away and make a comfortable living. Civilian backgrounds face a much steeper ladder... Just what I've learned listening to my dad and his buddies chat it up.

RiseR 25

Thank you Z0gsxr, good answer. I'll contribute my ASTB as well.

55 7/8/8

When I was a wee freshman in college I didn't think much of the civilian route, until I started taking flying lessons. My CFI was pure civilian, and a damn good instructor for that matter. I've found that the matter of civilian or military is a personal choice. Family from what I understand is the big one if that is the case.

John Gil

RiseR 25 said:
Thank you Z0gsxr, good answer. I'll contribute my ASTB as well.

55 7/8/8

When I was a wee freshman in college I didn't think much of the civilian route, until I started taking flying lessons. My CFI was pure civilian, and a damn good instructor for that matter. I've found that the matter of civilian or military is a personal choice. Family from what I understand is the big one if that is the case.
My personal choice for military was the fact that you get to go on missions with some of the most advanced aircraft in the world that have weapons strapped to them... .

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!

Aside from the obvious risky business the military route entails... Remember, you're joining to be an officer first, aviator second. That means responsibilities beyond flying, it means hours, days, weeks, months away from your friends and family.

Read and research more around about what the military life entails. Plenty of people on this board can speak to missing anniversaries, weddings, the birth of their children, etc. Not just once, multiple times. Add on with a work environment and requirements very different from the civilian pilot life, and there's plenty of reasons for people to go airline over mil if their interest is just flying.

Remember, where your life is now (in your case, still in college) isn't where your life is going to be in 5 years, much less 10 years.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot

I have a guess as well. When i did my interview with an O-6, he asked me what type of aircraft I wanted to fly. Of course, I said anything they'd give me the keys to, but out of the 2 carriers I had been on all the CAGs/DCAGs and COs/XOs were jet pilots. Therefore, I felt that jets gave me the best opportunity to make major command or flag (command of a carrier and/or carrier strike group for those who don't know). I believe he said something along the lines of last year was the first year that the Navy had more helicopter pilots than any other type of pilot, and helicopters were a great growth opportunity. There's also a quote from an admiral a few years ago stating that a helicopter pilot will command a Carrier Air Wing someday soon. It takes two pilots to to fly a helicopter, unlike a jet. So if the role of helicopters are expected to expand in the next 5-10 years, maybe the Navy is planning for the increase in needed helicopter pilots? Just a guess, I really have no clue what I'm talking about. That's just something that ran through my mind.