• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot/ NFO "Rolling" Boards MAR/APR 2013

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
Since your packet is already in you still have a chance but why not prepare for the worst? Try to study your tail off now until you feel better prepared for the ASTB and that way you will be ready to retake in the event of not being selected.
Just my .02cents

Yeah good point... I will pick up the books sometime this week. I wonder what that applicant's well roundedness looked like? Not trying to be bashful, but I know that does play somewhat of a difference when ranked and stacked. I am pretty shocked he did not get picked up as I originally thought it was a 100% selection rate??

RiseR 25

Thanks for the update Vandy, but I actually have a 4 on the AQR :/

Okay guys, look, I am not going to lie.... I keep stressing out, and worrying about my scores. YES I know I can always retest, and I know there's nothing I can do at this point, but honestly, has ANYONE up here seen lower than my scores get picked up for an NFO spot??? I have put together the best possible application that I can, but its still easy on the mind knowing that people have been picked up with similar scores...

Did you try Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests by Duran? My scores went up 1 point AQR, 1 point PFAR, and 2 point FOFAR. Excellent study materials.

AirGuy

Yeah good point... I will pick up the books sometime this week. I wonder what that applicant's well roundedness looked like? Not trying to be bashful, but I know that does play somewhat of a difference when ranked and stacked. I am pretty shocked he did not get picked up as I originally thought it was a 100% selection rate??
Dude you actually don't need to pay for any books. Go here for some free books: , apparently courtesy of the US Air Force. I got this link from Marine Gouge, so credit goes to them.

1) Free Petersen's Master The Military Flight Aptitude Test, 8th Edition (Currently the latest)
2) Free Petersen's Master The Officer Candidate Tests, 8th Edition (Currently the latest)
*These come from Marine Gouge (http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.17.0/index.php?title=Aviation_Selection_Test_Battery)
*Apparently courtesy of the US Air Force
http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/default.aspx?refURL=http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.17.0/index.php?title=Aviation_Selection_Test_Battery

3) Military Flight Aptitude Tests (6th edition)
*Courtesy of the US Army
*This book is a tiny bit outdated (2002), but still good for some practice questions and some good flight info
http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/download/militaryflight.pdf

4) FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...ation/pilot_handbook/media/FAA-H-8083-25A.pdf
*This one is the best, it's a lot of fun to read

So use all those resources the Air Force, Army, and Marines provide you, then join the NAVY! :D

AirGuy

Did you try Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests by Duran? My scores went up 1 point AQR, 1 point PFAR, and 2 point FOFAR. Excellent study materials.
I tried this one, I felt the ANIT stuff was given in much more depth in the FAA's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

Oh yeah and I was able to order the Barron's book for free at my library (the latest edition). Also there were tons of sweet and random books about all sorts of aviation stuff in the library. Most of that info can probably be found online though.

AirGuy

One more thing. If you are planning on retaking, you probably want to do it sometime soon. The testing center where I am taking it is supposedly upgrading their ASTB tests in September to the joystick version. I heard this new version is harder than current Form 3,4,5 version. But then again, this testing center said they have been hearing about this "upgrade" for the past few years but nothing actually happened...

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
Guys, thanks for the gouge. I'm just going to wait to hear some feedback from my recruiter whether or not I get a spot. If not, hey, it was worth a try. If so, hey, ill be very honored to be serving with very awesome gentlemen and women.

Let's keep the faith guys... I feel pretty confident.

FLYNAVY15

FUBIJAR
pilot
So it seems to me that those who have posted their ASTB scores are averaging 7s in many areas. This makes me wonder; the recruiter told me that 7s are fantastic. The Navy site shows that a relatively small percentage of those who take the ASTB score in the 7 range. So, does this site by luck encompass all the "smarty-pants" in one gaggle, or are 7s more common than I thought? Thoughts?

exNavyOffRec

So it seems to me that those who have posted their ASTB scores are averaging 7s in many areas. This makes me wonder; the recruiter told me that 7s are fantastic. The Navy site shows that a relatively small percentage of those who take the ASTB score in the 7 range. So, does this site by luck encompass all the "smarty-pants" in one gaggle, or are 7s more common than I thought? Thoughts?

7's are a lot more common than people think and up until the last few months were considered "average", here is what happens to have low scores show up, some NRD's have no clue on how to actually administer the ASTB, so if a person is going for SWO or Supply they only need the OAR, but the NRD makes them take the entire ASTB, so you get people who score low on AQR, PFAR and FOFAR.

Z0gsxr

I was told the same thing. My recruiter was stoked with my 3 sevens... He did not make it sound like this was a common score battery. It seems even after looking at the selection criteria from the last few boards, 7's did the trick, with lots of 5's and 6's prevailing.

I would think that people who score well score well for a reason, and maybe are naturally inquisitive, it didn't take very many Google searches for me to find this wealth if information. I would think the more heads up applicants score better, and naturally find this site in their search for information.

AirGuy

I was told the same thing. My recruiter was stoked with my 3 sevens... He did not make it sound like this was a common score battery. It seems even after looking at the selection criteria from the last few boards, 7's did the trick, with lots of 5's and 6's prevailing.

I would think that people who score well score well for a reason, and maybe are naturally inquisitive, it didn't take very many Google searches for me to find this wealth if information. I would think the more heads up applicants score better, and naturally find this site in their search for information.
People who scored well are also more likely to put their scores up

dschorr

OCS 20JUL2014
Thought I would post my scores:

60 6/5/6

Don't know if I will be considered at the board tomorrow (if there is one) since I am currently 13 months from graduation. My OR put it in hoping that a month does not matter since I still am looking at FY14 slots as I put a statement in that I am willing to go as soon as possible after graduation. Applied for SWO/SNA/SNFO.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the present climate, I believe 7s are considered slightly above average, 8s excellent, and 9s outstanding (& quite rare)!;)
BzB

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
In the present climate, I believe 7s are considered slightly above average, 8s excellent, and 9s outstanding (& quite rare)!;)
BzB

And mine ( 45 6/5/4) 'absolutely and tremendously below average' ahahaha lol. Of course, thats the centralized message I'm getting xP

John Gil

And mine ( 45 6/5/4) 'absolutely and tremendously below average' ahahaha lol. Of course, thats the centralized message I'm getting xP
If you spent the time studying for the astb that you spend talking about your "low scores" you would ace it. Study now, because even if you get selected this round there is info in there you will need to know for your career as an officer. Sorry for the tough love but sometimes we need it,myself included. My first astb was a 45 4/5/4 but after I got the reality check that being prior enlisted doesn't make me an officer shoe in, I stopped acting like I knew everything, lost the entitlement I had and stepped up my studying. You can do as well as you want on the astb if you put in the hours.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
If you spent the time studying for the astb that you spend talking about your "low scores" you would ace it. Study now, because even if you get selected this round there is info in there you will need to know for your career as an officer. Sorry for the tough love but sometimes we need it,myself included. My first astb was a 45 4/5/4 but after I got the reality check that being prior enlisted doesn't make me an officer shoe in, I stopped acting like I knew everything, lost the entitlement I had and stepped up my studying. You can do as well as you want on the astb if you put in the hours.

John, I appreciate the tough love, and I will study as soon as I find something out. I'm not one to give up ship immediately... look, I know the boards are tough, its a competitive job. But with the high selection rate the way its going right now, its worth a shot, and its having something that I like to call: faith. I am a highly motivated individual, and always remain optimistic, even when I know the ball isn't in my playing field. There's no reason for anyone to be harsh, and I don't believe anyone is, but I feel like we all have a fair shot at life here. I have seen people on AW get in with lower scores than I, and I also understand that there was someone with lower scores during the March board who was selected. I feel as if I'm very well rounded as an applicant, as does many others up here on AW.

Just let me find something out at the start of next week, or whenever this next board is... and then I will re-take the test. I can't submit another application for consideration to OCS until 6 months goes by anyways, so I will re-take at my own accord. If I don't make it, no big deal! I at least TRIED. I won't hold my head down low, as I know that there are some truly amazing and sharp individuals protecting this country.