• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most important flight tool?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I guess the old E-6B [not electronic] computer is passe' and gone with the wind. But it did 'bout everything in its time.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Summing up the goodies..
nvp
my favorite kneeboard to date (in my limited experience):
http://www.flyboys.com/fb1316.html
a2 aviator (LED version) by surefire
electronic logbooks (ipad or otherwise)
aviation watch (this will get costly, its easy if you pick something stylish, reliable and can be read in low light)
ipad (or something you can load pdfs onto) for studying up on briefs without carrying your whole library in your helmet bag
sunglasses that can take a beating and still look good (non-polarized & non-gradient lens rec for flying)
Johnny walker blue (great gift for ANY occasion, pricey tho)
leatherman, multi-tool (i guess in the fleet you use this? Still too green to know what that's for)

You guys have some serious naval aviation heritage (which is definitely awesome). I'm the first from my side of the family to get it started.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kneeboard . . . wings P-cola 9G. If you need anything more in the TRACOM than that, whatever kneeboard packet you put together, an IFR strap, and a cheap Officemax half-size yellow notepad, you need to chairfly more.

Flashlight/NVP . . . If you get one, get one that will tie to the aforementioned kneeboard that has normal, red, and green light. If only two, normal and green.

Electronic logbooks? Forget it.

Watch? I love my Omega X-33. Some guys in my squadron have Breitling Airwolves. But it's totally a status symbol; a quartz Casio does just as well these days. Strictly optional.

iPad? Again, forget it as far as the cockpit is concerned.

Scotch? Always a good choice! :)

Multi-tool? Sure, why not? But if you have to use it in an aviation context, many things have gone horribly, horribly wrong with your day. See above for more useful gifts as far as aviation is concerned.

That's a TACAIR perspective, anyway.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Kneeboard . . . wings P-cola 9G. If you need anything more in the TRACOM than that, whatever kneeboard packet you put together, an IFR strap, and a cheap Officemax half-size yellow notepad, you need to chairfly more.
The one I linked to is fairly reasonable. The only difference is it's about 6-7 more dollars than the 9g, it was made to be man-handled and you have to go out of your way to get.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I really appreciate all the recommendations guys!

In order of what will be most useful to him in the cockpit I recommend the following:
Wings kneeboard (9G or SoftG)
Night Vision Pen - works really well with the 9G
Small flashlight with both white, green and red (Fenix is very good and cheaper than SureFire, but you won't go wrong with SureFire)

Watches are nice, but any cheap Timex will do and I doubt you are looking to get him an Omega or Breitling right now. And it really isn't that useful in the cockpit.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
A comment on the 9G kneeboard: As of last year when I went through API, we were issued the 9G. It's a great kneeboard, but don't spend the money on it if he's just going to be issued it. I believe that was a recent change, and someone who went through more recently may be able to update if they're still issuing it (I don't know why they wouldn't).
A leg strap is something that is affordable and gets a lot of use. Also, a pub bag is nice. Nobody I knew had a pub bag in Corpus flying T-34s, but everyone I know has one in Meridian. I use it every flight/sim.