• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most important flight tool?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Midn...Does the Hornet/Rhino have det cord on the canopy like the clown jet or does it rely on the seat horns to punch through? I just ask because I was never a stickler for gloves, but sitting there with my face inches away from it, I've started to think it may not be a terrible idea to wear them...:D

No thank god. The canopy is unlike the clown jet canopy, and opens and closes under its own power.....and it is (in the normal sequence of events) jettisoned from the aircraft before the seat goes. There are seat horns in case the canopy doesn't blow off. MDC seems to have been a pretty bad deal for the T-45, not sure if the Harrier folks have had similar stories.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just ask because I was never a stickler for gloves, but sitting there with my face inches away from it, I've started to think it may not be a terrible idea to wear them...:D

Are you saying that the wearing of flight gloves is optional in your squadron? It was mandatory in every fleet & Tracom jet I ever flew.:confused:
BzB

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
And we don't smoke within 12 hours of flight planning or drink within 50 feet of the aircraft....

Now that's a blast from the past - maybe this new, action Navy isn't as PC as I have feared !

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Are you saying that the wearing of flight gloves is optional in your squadron? It was mandatory in every fleet & Tracom jet I ever flew.:confused:
BzB

And I'm sure no one here has ever broken the 12 hour bottle-to-throttle rule, always fly with sleeves down, get at least 8 hours of sleep at a day (and everything you get at night is a bonus), and read every page in the ADB including all the special inspections, do not have more than 2.5 pounds of individual gear in their survival vest.... but I think you get my point.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...but I think you get my point.

And I think you missed mine... specifically fire resistant flight gloves! My question was legit, your response gross overkill. Have you ever met an ex-NA with ugly, scarred, near unusable hands from an aircraft crash/fire. I have and it's not pretty.
BzB

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
BzB

No, they are required, it just seems a lot of folks <ahem> may not agree. As I said...I don't like sitting that close to explosives with bare skin...but that's just me.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
And I think you missed mine... specifically fire resistant flight gloves! My question was legit, your response gross overkill. Have you ever met an ex-NA with ugly, scarred, near unusable hands from an aircraft crash/fire. I have and it's not pretty.
BzB

No, I completely understand what your point was. I was adding to the other rules in Naval Aviation that some (or many) choose to ignore.
Many choose to ignore them at their own peril.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
No thank god. The canopy is unlike the clown jet canopy, and opens and closes under its own power.....and it is (in the normal sequence of events) jettisoned from the aircraft before the seat goes. There are seat horns in case the canopy doesn't blow off. MDC seems to have been a pretty bad deal for the T-45, not sure if the Harrier folks have had similar stories.

Our canopy is supposed to shatter during the ejection sequence, but in fact it only functions about half the time. The other half of the time the canopy separator on top of the seat breaks it just fine.

I've known several guys who've ejected without gloves or with sleeves up who were just fine. Not a recommendation, just a data point.

You want us to wear gloves? Cut down on the paper in the cockpit. Digital charts and smart packs would be a start. If only there was someway to do that.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Yeah, if only someone could invent a computer about the size of a note pad. ;)

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2