• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most important flight tool?

adavis858

This is my first post, so be kind.

My brother is going to flight school in July, and I was looking for something special as a going away / commissioning gift that he will actually use during his Navy career. Any ideas? I dont want it to be too expensive, but more on the reliable, "you will use this all the time" side of things. My dad suggested a Surefire A2 Aviator flashlight.

Thanks!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Flashlight is pretty universal, no matter what platform he ends up flying and I think would be a good suggestion...I'm a big fan of Fenix flashlights. Really high quality and less pricey than Streamlight/Surefire. They also typically use standard batteries as opposed to lithiums.

jtmedli

pilot
I would say the flashlight + a Night Vision Pen would be a very useful combo. I use my red/white LED flashlight and NVP pretty regularly. Probably moreso than I even realize.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Johnny Walker Blue Label

Edit-More of a post flight tool, but you get the idea.

Renegade One

None
This is my first post, so be kind.
adavis858: You're a great brother. You'll get some great recommendations here...if you can separate the wheat from the chaff.
I wonder if your post's "opening line" doesn't give us all pause...and maybe a heads up as to how we may be being received/perceived by the caring families of the great young men and women who care enough about their country to want to do this for a living.
Welcome to the AirWarriors forum, and all the best. Maybe your brother will be buying you a similar gift someday. :)

adavis858

A digital logbook...while tough to wrap would be a nice gift as well...
I have no idea how the Navy handles flight logs. Do they still keep a handwritten logbook or is everything electronic now?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You could also get him a flight bag starter kit. 9g kneeboarding and a pub bag. Most every student buys their own when they go through Primary. Wings has some stuff...you can also look at Sporty's Pilot Shop

-ea6bflyr ;)

adavis858

adavis858: You're a great brother. You'll get some great recommendations here...if you can separate the wheat from the chaff.
I wonder if your post's "opening line" doesn't give us all pause...and maybe a heads up as to how we may be being received/perceived by the caring families of the great young men and women who care enough about their country to want to do this for a living.
Welcome to the AirWarriors forum, and all the best. Maybe your brother will be buying you a similar gift someday. :)

Renegade one, thanks for the welcome. Grandfather flew A-4's off the Hancock, Airboss on the Ranger. Dad flew S-3's off the Enterprise ('Hook 91), and my Bro is just getting started. ROTC @ UCLA, heading for P-Cola. We're probably not the best test of perceptions ;).