• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Midshipman Rank

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We called our students 'FRESHMEN' until they completed Midshipmen Orientation (and were sworn in). Why do you ask FRESHMAN! :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It was always candidate before you got there and then mid once you took the oath. Really though, it was more dirty plebe in the summer, then just plebe during the year and once we got our stripe we were finally mids. One of my detailers would always tell us during the summer that just because we're there doesn't mean we're getting in.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, it's going to depend on your school. At mine, freshmen during our indoc were MIDN 4/c Schmuckatelli.

IrishEagle85

I think you're officially a midshipmen once you take your oath, but it might differ from unit to unit as the others above me said.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
For my old unit, it was "candidate" until you got back to campus during O-week (you had been in a military barracks for the 1st 4 days). Then it was MIDN after that.

sickboy

pilot
At Penn State you are a Freshman until you receive your unit PT gear at the end of Gap week. We recognize you as one then, but technically you become a MIDN when you swear in the 2nd time at graduation several hours later.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
At Penn State you are a Freshman until you receive your unit PT gear at the end of Gap week. We recognize you as one then, but technically you become a MIDN when you swear in the 2nd time at graduation several hours later.
Why wouldn't you technically be one when you swear in the first time?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, if we wanted to be anal about it, when during your indocs do you have the freshmen fill out the enlistment paperwork? It's pretty much the first thing we do, so I guess that is what technically makes them midshipmen. But whatever, just roll with it.