• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Midshipman Rank

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
For the love of god, people.
Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

Brett

I didn't know that dead horses could talk

:p

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
The only "authority" I could find is the USNA Catalog, pp 33 in my version - i.e., rank between CWO and O-1.

Thanks Master Chief! In boot camp (1989), I do not remember being told the pecking order for Midshipmen. While at sea, if Midshipmen came aboard, they were just kind of there and I thought they were not within the rank structure at all.

Thanks for picking that up. Of course I was just baiting. 1 year in the Fleet and you cannot tell the difference, or rarely tell the difference. Agree vs.vs respect.

As for Academy grads vs NROTC, it has been my experience that O-1 through O-3 Academy Officers are pretentious and look down on everyone, especially the junior enlisted. In contrast, the NROTC grads are more forgiving and willing to accept their charges as important. This is just my personal observation from the engineroom, though.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
As for the question of Midshipmen rank, Im an E-3 in A school and my buddies and I laugh at all the OCS guys running around.

I would caution you about laughing at anyone in a uniform considering the trifecta of having no sea time (probably based on your profile and statements), being an E-3, and no active duty time. You'll need to earn a little more before passing judgement on anyone else, including the Midshipmen. Just wanted to say as a caution. :D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Thanks Master Chief! In boot camp (1989), I do not remember being told the pecking order for Midshipmen. While at sea, if Midshipmen came aboard, they were just kind of there and I thought they were not within the rank structure at all.
There are two parts to the "pecking order". The actual rank itself and authority. You may have had the rank, but you did not have the authority. The authority comes from the position you are assigned to. For example, in one of my squadrons the XO was actually senior to the CO by date of rank. But the CO had the authority and the XO was therefore subordinate to him.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Im an E-3 in A school and my buddies and I laugh at all the OCS guys running around. Especially when I was at aircrew school and they're standing in the lawn saluting squirrels. Put it this way, If you a midshipmen, most lower level enlisted find you mildly amusing.
Their situation might be amusing to those watching. But that situation only last 3 months and they will eventually have the last laugh.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I would caution you about laughing at anyone in a uniform considering the trifecta of having no sea time (probably based on your profile and statements), being an E-3, and no active duty time. You'll need to earn a little more before passing judgement on anyone else, including the Midshipmen.

This is a good general lesson for this board...lots of that going around...:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would caution you about laughing at anyone in a uniform considering the trifecta of having no sea time (probably based on your profile and statements), being an E-3, and no active duty time. You'll need to earn a little more before passing judgement on anyone else, including the Midshipmen. Just wanted to say as a caution. :D

Not to mention that some of those guys you're laughing at are senior Petty Officers and Chiefs.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I'm pretty sure midshipman rank just above "waste of space" and just below "totally worthless" in most situations.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm pretty sure midshipman rank just above "waste of space" and just below "totally worthless" in most situations.
No way, Jose.

Perhaps that's true today, with the bubble-wrapped, cradle-to-grave, kinder, gentler way of making Officers and Gentlemen ....

But:

As a 1/C MID I was on a ship that went to "no chit" GQ and we manned up the guns when the Russian KOMAR PT's went running through the formation one night off the Dardanelles (sp?) .... (think Czech invasion ... '68 :)) .... meanwhile .... some of my buds were on the Gun Line off N. Vietnam passin' 5"/38's up to the loaders while their ships were shelling NVA targets on the beach ... sometimes, Middies got combat ribbons back-in-the-day ... and earned 'em.

*edit* ... the Watch, Quarter, and Station bill had me as a loader on a quad 40mm mount. You know ... "BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM" .... and most certainly not a "waste of space" nor "totally worthless" ....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
You are a douche
I don't know whether he/she is, or not .... but I am SO PROUD OF YOU JUST FOR EXPRESSING THE SENTIMENT !!!

Stay safe, fly safe, Younger Brother .