• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Midshipman Rank

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Maybe AllAmerican or one of the Citadel guys can confirm or deny this, but since your situation is much like mine was at Norwich, you are a Mid at the NROTC unit, and Rat, Rook, Knob, whathaveyou, everywhere else.

Will_T

Will_T
I've seen it asked before what the rank of a midshipman is, without a definitive answer given.

On page 16 of this pdf: http://nrotc.unm.edu/Files/NROTC_SOP_REV_12AUG09.pdf
it states that "Within the Navy rank structure, all Midshipmen rank with, but are junior to, Commissioned Warrant Officers. They are required to carry out the lawful orders of all commissioned officers and all Midshipmen officers senior to themselves. Midshipmen are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice only when on active duty, such as during summer training."

Hope this helps someone.
Will.

Immy

While that's true technically, if you ever actually tried to pull rank on any enlisted personnel while on summer cruise/CORTRAMID I think you'd be laughed at. Just speculation from what I've heard though.

m26

Contributor
I would SPECULATE [alarm bells ring] that if a new ensign tried to pull rank on MCPON that wouldnt go very well for said ensign, either, but that doesn't change the fact technically newbie outranks every enlisted sailor the second he/she puts on the shoulder boards.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I would SPECULATE [alarm bells ring] that if a new ensign tried to pull rank on MCPON that wouldnt go very well for said ensign

Heh. . .I'm reminded of the time I watched an Ensign tell a Master Chief to go get a round of drinks at a cocktail party. The Chief got the drinks; the Ensign got an ass-chewing from a one-star.

CAMike

None
Contributor
kimkardashiansailor2pre.jpg

A fine waste of YN potential.

phrogpilot73

I would SPECULATE [alarm bells ring] that if a new ensign tried to pull rank on MCPON that wouldnt go very well for said ensign, either, but that doesn't change the fact technically newbie outranks every enlisted sailor the second he/she puts on the shoulder boards.
It's not a technicality. An Ensign outranks every enlisted Sailor. Period. As a 1stLt, I was working on something that the OpsO had tasked me with. I got it done - but I had to step on some SNCO toes to do it. Mainly because they didn't agree with I was tasked to do - but that wasn't their call.

Recently, my SgtMaj tried to task me with something. Really??

"I don't think so, SgtMaj - I've got other shit I'm working on for the CO."
"Outta my hands sir."
"Not out of mine, SgtMaj"

Needless to say, I didn't end up doing what the SgtMaj was trying to task me with. Sometimes, the SgtMaj's/MCPO's think that because they are the senior enlisted advisor to the CO, that they can speak for the CO. Not so much.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's not a technicality. An Ensign outranks every enlisted Sailor. Period. As a 1stLt, I was working on something that the OpsO had tasked me with. I got it done - but I had to step on some SNCO toes to do it. Mainly because they didn't agree with I was tasked to do - but that wasn't their call.

Recently, my SgtMaj tried to task me with something. Really??

"I don't think so, SgtMaj - I've got other shit I'm working on for the CO."
"Outta my hands sir."
"Not out of mine, SgtMaj"

Needless to say, I didn't end up doing what the SgtMaj was trying to task me with. Sometimes, the SgtMaj's/MCPO's think that because they are the senior enlisted advisor to the CO, that they can speak for the CO. Not so much.

I have a love to hate relationship with an FE that sounds pretty similar.

After getting shit on by an AWF2 simply because I'm new:

"Sir, that's not how you hack your clock for a fire of unknown origin"
"I didn't realize there was a NATOPs procedure for that, PO2. Maybe you should put a change in so it will be standardized according to your technique."

I don't like coming across like a dick, but I can't stand that shit, and I was pretty fed up with the individual by this point in the flight. We'll see how it works out for me down the road...

phrogpilot73

When I first checked into the Battalion, the Ops Chief (a MGySgt) stated (in public) "You know, in the grunts - a MGySgt doesn't have to call a Captain Sir". My response was "The UCMJ says otherwise, and try me." It led to immediate respect from every other enlisted guy in the shop. Other experiences have led me to believe that if you're not a douche - and you're forced to pull your rank (regardless of how junior an officer you are), the enlisted guys have wanted to smack down that guy - and you're speaking for them. You will earn their respect because of it.

Now if it's a highly respected senior enlisted and you pull rank? You'll come off as a douche.

BigRed389

None
When I first checked into the Battalion, the Ops Chief (a MGySgt) stated (in public) "You know, in the grunts - a MGySgt doesn't have to call a Captain Sir". My response was "The UCMJ says otherwise, and try me." It led to immediate respect from every other enlisted guy in the shop. Other experiences have led me to believe that if you're not a douche - and you're forced to pull your rank (regardless of how junior an officer you are), the enlisted guys have wanted to smack down that guy - and you're speaking for them. You will earn their respect because of it.

Now if it's a highly respected senior enlisted and you pull rank? You'll come off as a douche.

Piggybacking on your post, one of the things I've noticed is the good NCO's I've met always had the "strongly suggest/recommend" approach in providing guidance to their JO's.