• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Midshipman Rank

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I went through the flight program as a Pilot-STUD thinking NFO's were something strange -- glad my eyes held up so I wasn't one of 'em, I thought .... then I went throught A-4's thinking NFO's were "unneccesary" .... and then .... I came out of A-6's thinking NFO's (in the guise of a B/N) were my strong right arm.

The "General" and me .... gettin' it done. :)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
RetreadRand said:
It is not about lightening up. It is about the fact that you are an officer in the navy as was your nav and your ACO. It is about the fact that you trivialize the rank of a commissioned officer and the qual of an NFO. If a LT who was once an ensign doesn't respect the rank of ensign then how is an airmen, a first class or a chief expected to. You may have come across as joking this time, but your sentiments are true, as shown in several of your previous posts on the competence of NFOs as Mission Commanders and leaders.

EDIT: I have thick skin and can toss it back with the rest of them...as you must be able to do on a crew. But one must also have to have a mutual respect for the multiple positions on that crew. And if one doesn't then maybe they should not be leading them. (not directed at you E6b-flyer, but just something these future officers should know)

Okay, Mr. Serious. Yes, I have previously posted about my opinion on junior, inexperienced, TACAMO ACO/MCs. I still stand by my opinion, but it is just that, my opinion. I still have many friends that I spent a great deal of time with and have a great deal of respect for who wear double anchors. Some of these guys have kept me honest in potentially sh!tty situations. That doesn't mean I can't give them sh!t and expect the same in return. I deal with Ensigns on a daily basis, and I believe that I used to be one, which makes my eminently qualified to make a simple joke about them which I am fairly sure that 99.9% of readers on Airwarriors understand.
And on your afterthought, I 100% agree.
Time for another beer.

B0000530B0.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I went through the flight program as a Pilot-STUD thinking NFO's were something strange -- glad my eyes held up so I wasn't one of 'em, I thought .... then I went throught A-4's thinking NFO's were "unneccesary" .... and then .... I came out of A-6's thinking NFO's (in the guise of a B/N) were my strong right arm.

Agreed, NFOs play a vital role in Naval Aviation. Without them, there would be no way for many communities to do their mission. I am and always will be a big believer in flying with a crew.
I was particulary joking about the Nav in the E-6. The position was such a waste that it is now being filled by an off duty FE or third pilot. It was basically a 6 month speed bump in the way of TACAMO NFOs getting qualified in their real job, Airborne Comms Officer.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
It is not about lightening up. It is about the fact that you are an officer in the navy as was your nav and your ACO. It is about the fact that you trivialize the rank of a commissioned officer and the qual of an NFO. If a LT who was once an ensign doesn't respect the rank of ensign then how is an airmen, a first class or a chief expected to. You may have come across as joking this time, but your sentiments are true, as shown in several of your previous posts on the competence of NFOs as Mission Commanders and leaders.

EDIT: I have thick skin and can toss it back with the rest of them...as you must be able to do on a crew. But one must also have to have a mutual respect for the multiple positions on that crew. And if one doesn't then maybe they should not be leading them. (not directed at you E6b-flyer, but just something these future officers should know)

:icon_roll

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

The "General" and me .... gettin' it done. :)

A4s, why does the Pilot sit so much farther forward than the B/N in the A-6?

bluemarlin04

Not to mention that some of those guys you're laughing at are senior Petty Officers and Chiefs.

come on, I may be an airmen but Im not stupid. I can tell a prior enlisted at OCS compared to a 23 yrold. Yea, they may have the last laugh, but I figure I should get mine in before than.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s, why does the Pilot sit so much farther forward (*edit* and higher) than the B/N in the A-6?
It allows the B/N:

A. To check our "6" ???

B. To pick up after us ???

C. To stay out of the pilot's view ???

D. To massage our shoulders ???

E. All of the above ???

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
come on, I may be an airmen but Im not stupid. I can tell a prior enlisted at OCS compared to a 23 yrold. Yea, they may have the last laugh, but I figure I should get mine in before than.

you don't think that some of the prior enlisted guys going through OCS/NROTC are < 23 yrs old? I can't speak for OCS, but the majority of pick-ups that my NROTC unit had last year are younger than I am (I'm almost 24). Also nobody at OCS is a midshipman (see original topic) so this is a moot point....ppl w/ fleet experience give us a lot of crap (rightfully so), but most mids you will see out in the fleet have at least a couple of years of the NROTC/Academy program under their belts, so *for the most part* they at least have a clue what is going on (vs some college grad who is seeing the military environment for the first time)....not to mention that a lot of them have more sea time than you do :p

bluemarlin04

you don't think that some of the prior enlisted guys going through OCS/NROTC are < 23 yrs old? I can't speak for OCS, but the majority of pick-ups that my NROTC unit had last year are younger than I am (I'm almost 24). Also nobody at OCS is a midshipman (see original topic) so this is a moot point....ppl w/ fleet experience give us a lot of crap (rightfully so), but most mids you will see out in the fleet have at least a couple of years of the NROTC/Academy program under their belts, so *for the most part* they at least have a clue what is going on (vs some college grad who is seeing the military environment for the first time)....not to mention that a lot of them have more sea time than you do :p

I stand corrected, Im not talking about midshipmen, but OCS canidates in pensacola, Our LPO told us they were the same thing, but I guess not. In fact at enlisted boot we never even covered Midshipmen as a rank. But you have to admit its amusing walking into the NEX here and they have big silver helmets on and green coveralls, or when they salute squirrels. I remember walking out of the Aircrew barricks and two of them were reporting to a fire extinguisher.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But you have to admit its amusing walking into the NEX here and they have big silver helmets on and green coveralls, or when they salute squirrels. I remember walking out of the Aircrew barricks and two of them were reporting to a fire extinguisher.

Amusing? Sure, but keep it to yourself. You as a new boot out of basic training hasn't exactly done much yourself. In several weeks those guys you're laughing at will be putting on bars and going to fly aircraft, maybe even the aircraft you'll be riding in eventually. IF you get your wish of getting a commission, you may go the OCS route and have to do that as well.

bluemarlin04

Amusing? Sure, but keep it to yourself. You as a new boot out of basic training hasn't exactly done much yourself. In several weeks those guys you're laughing at will be putting on bars and going to fly aircraft, maybe even the aircraft you'll be riding in eventually. IF you get your wish of getting a commission, you may go the OCS route and have to do that as well.

I understand that, but its not like I point at laugh, its kind of like feeling bad for them, cause I know it must suck. Its like a bootcamp you see the guys getting off the bus when you are graduating and you're like "damn, sux to be you". Im definitely aware they got it better than I do when they finish. Maybe I should have worded it differently.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
when do you officially become a midshipman?

I assumed you become a midshipman when you contract in the fall, but i just got a letter from my NROTC CO that addressed me as "MIDN".

So when do you officially become a midshipman? (Maybe i need to change my sig from "future" midshipman! ;))

(if it matters to the answer, i'm on an NROTC scholarship, and i did already accept it.)

- MIDN DSL1990 <--- (joke) <--- (i think :icon_lol:)