• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Issues

shutout39

pilot
I know this is an old thread, but since its back up I thought I would chime in. My recruiter also advised me to leave stuff off of my application - he said you can always say you forgot it. He also said they background check it very minimal; they dont do much digging BUT he said once you're in and you complain of something they will dig for that having been a problem in the past and if they find out you were diagnosed with it, you are done - no questions asked. I do not claim this to be 100% accurate but it was what I was told and it kind of makes sense so take or leave it.

For the record, I ended up putting everything on the application I could think of. We'll see how that strategy works here in a few weeks when AUG board results are out...

pensfan341

*Wasn't sure the most appropriate forum for this, so feel free to move*

I have been in the BDCP program since Jan 10. Meaning the Navy has invested tens of thousands of dollars in me. I was originally supposed to go to OCS July 15th, but it got pushed back to Oct 9th, a little more than a week from now. I went through my final round of MEPS last week.

Today, in the mail, I just got a letter from MEPS telling me I am permanently medically disqualified from the United States military because of Alcohol Abuse.

Obviously, I feel physically ill right now and have a thousand questions running through my mind.

Full disclosure, I have two underage drinking tickets and a disorderly conduct on my record. I am now 22. I have been completely honest with the Navy about the legal problems and have taken care of them. In none of the mentioned cases was I found guilty. Furthermore, the underage tickets were for alcohol use, not alcohol abuse. The disorderly conduct was for cussing at a police officer during a verbal argument. Not for alcohol abuse.
After learning of these the doctor at MEPS had me get a consult with a psychologist. Okay, fair enough. I met with the psychologist. We talked for 5 minutes. He asked about the events, about my family, and about my college grades and activities, essentially basic small talk. It was not a thorough examination. It was 5 minutes of small talk. I said nothing that could make him think I have an alcohol problem. Days later I learn I am permanently disqualified from the United States Military.

My question: what are my options? (I haven't talked to my recruiter yet....I just opened the letter tonight).
I am thinking I deserve a second opinion, meet another doctor to review my case. In my opinion I came nowhere near what could reasonably be considered a "thorough examination." But in the letter it mentioned no route of protest, no appeal process.

What the hell should I do?

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I think it's because you have two underage drinking tickets. So there is a repeat of abusing alcohol. You were underage so I guess that is considered abuse when you wrongfully drink alcohol when you were not supposed to.

A

AlexSmart

PM me. I graduated OCS in May and have been working at Newport waiting for NAMI clearance all summer for this EXACT situation.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
From a DAPA standpoint (I was one until a year ago):
2 alcohol related incidents while in would be huge (as in discharge worthy), I imagine they're looking at it from that standpoint. They don't care that you weren't charged with abuse, they care about repeated alcohol incidents, even if that point was not included as part of the official charges. They just care if alcohol was "involved".

Using what I just told you as a metric, was the cop incident an ARI as well?

How the general public defines abuse and how the Navy does are 2 separate things. http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoh/Clinics/Documents/5350-5c.pdf

from the instruction "a. Alcohol Abuse. The use of alcohol to an extent that it

has an adverse effect on the user's health or behavior, family,

community, or the Navy, or leads to unacceptable behavior as

evidenced by one or more alcohol related incident(s)."

edited to add definition

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
*Wasn't sure the most appropriate forum for this, so feel free to move*

I have been in the BDCP program since Jan 10. Meaning the Navy has invested tens of thousands of dollars in me. I was originally supposed to go to OCS July 15th, but it got pushed back to Oct 9th, a little more than a week from now. I went through my final round of MEPS last week.

Today, in the mail, I just got a letter from MEPS telling me I am permanently medically disqualified from the United States military because of Alcohol Abuse.

so whatever happened with your situation?

Pilotman87

Hey all, it has been a long time since I’ve been on here with a good bit going on in my life. New job, got married, moved to an island, etc…

I was an alternate SNA out of the August 2011 board and have had quite the upset in the recent few months. I went to MEPS the first week of October in the middle of moving and thought I did fine. Had to take the FALANT as I know I have a minor color vision deficiency, but it was expected. SF86 was all submitted etc… I got a call back from my recruiter about a week after saying that I failed the color vision portion though. It was a great surprise to me, as I have taken the FALANT a number of times for my FAA class I medical and never had an issue.

My processor said that I should take a retest if I think that I had issues with the test, but advised that she didn’t expect me to pass the full NAMI workup if I had issues identifying the Ishihara-styled plates. It was said that it would be a waste of my time and the tax-payers $ to go through OCS just to get to Pensacola to get NPQ’d and booted. It has been about 3 ½ months since I took the test and am now able to take days off my relatively new job in order to do so.

I do live on an island now which is supremely annoying in trying to schedule a FALANT test due to the lack of locations/office hours (I work 830am-5pm M-F…on a small island). The closest I can find now is Boston, but I am not sure if Newport would have a FALANT or even how to go about contacting them to take the test.

My question is can I schedule a retest on my own or do I have to go through my recruiter to do so? Should I reach out to some relatively high ranking officers that I know (O-6 & O-7’s) to find out about getting a test done?

I am a pilot in the civil world and have never had issues with PAPI’s, VASI’s, or any color light in the cockpit. I have passed the FALANT before. According to an ophthalmologist, color vision does not deteriorate, so he could find no explanation as to why I would fail one time or pass another time. The only thing he could offer was the fact that I was probably very dehydrated, overtired, and hungry at the time I took the test. The last thing he offered was that I might try another FALANT machine. He cited the age of the color filters in many of these not-produced-anymore devices have all but faded completely, and might yield a very difficult test to pass. Apparently there is an OPTEC 900 that has been approved in replacing the FALANT in the FAA world, and it is pending approval for the USN, USMC & ARMY.

I am applying for Intel with the Navy as a failure in the color vision department leaves me able to only apply for restricted positions, but I still want the privilege to serve. I am just nervous, because so much of my experience and knowledge is aviation related, and I feel that I would have a better chance of selecting in an aviation field. I am also applying Air Force to hopefully broaden my chances of being picked up for a non-flying (rated) Air Force position; Intel, space/missile, etc…

I am just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with an issue like this before. Should I apply again as an SNA if I pass a retest? I got picked as an alternate once and like to think I have improved my application since the last board. I am just hesitant based on the issues with a potential NAMI Whammy… Can I get a full flight physical prior to shipping to OCS, even if I pay for it in full out of my own pocket?

As many, this has been my dream since I was a little boy. I grew up watching my dad come and go to Cecil Field where he flew A-7’s and then hornets and would relish the opportunity to earn the wings of gold.

If anyone has any recommendations, advice, or comments, I greatly appreciate any input.

Thank you!

zachw

If the FALANT test is an accepted way then it seems like you should be good to. About the retest- I'm thinking Navy won't care if it's from a civilian doctor

I'm sort of a new guy around here.. so what do I know. Not to be a jerk, but I would shorten your post by about 90% of the current length and I bet you'll get some responses.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The Navy doesn't care what an FAA flight doc has to say. You need to pass a Navy flight physical in its entirety to be considered for training. Whether or not that is possible is not my area of expertise, but you will have to meet their requirements. Every year of your flying career you will need to pass the same physical to keep flying, so if you can't do that, you are SOL. I was a civilian pilot as well before I started flying for the Navy, and I had to pass the same test that every other applicant had to take to get here. That being said, I know there are some members here that had issues with color vision testing, and succeeded eventually, so maybe there is a wealth of knowledge to be passed along to you.

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12
Maybe this should be in the Docs forum so I apologize if I'm out of line.

Recently Pro Red'ed for SNA. My recruiter is working on getting me to MEPS but we have one little obstacle because the AF has my medical package right now; apparently only one exists and only one service at a time can have it. I had started an AF application (for a different career) about 2 weeks before I got the news I was pro rec'ed for USN. Its been a week since my AF recruiter "closed out" everything associated with me at my request but as of Thursday, my USN recruiter still can't track down my medical stuff and get it to MEPS. I'm assuming this is a physical package and it moves from MEPS to your recruiters office for a period of time, then back to MEPS with any edits? I just don't see what could take more than a week to get resolved.

Other, more important question: I had a full MEPS physical for USAF commission back in July 2010. DQ'ed at the time for a hernia which has been repaired but I lost my slot with them. Since I'm inside the 2yr period between physicals, will they make me do a full physical for USN or just an inspect? Will they want to physically see old surgeries, etc again or just take the 12+ pages of documentation's word for it and sign off?

If it makes a difference, the request for physical form I signed for USN had checked "full physical". Is that what I will get no matter what, since the Navy requested it or will the people at MEPS administratively say "he was here less than 2yrs ago, Inspect"?

Thanks for any help.

exNavyOffRec

Your OR is making this harder than it needs to be, the only thing needed to get your physical at MEPS from AF to USN is for you to sign a new 680 form, he submits that and within 24 hours your physical will be with the Navy Liason at MEPS.

The physical part is actually 2 parts.

First to get your FS letter what you need is the documentation saying the hernia is fixed and you are "released from care", that along with your DQ physical will go to N3M and you should be PQ's by them, all this is without going to MEPS.

Unless you get into the April 15th class you will need a full physical as your current one will be greater than 2 years when you graduate OCS, this can be done anytime but it really depends how fast you want to go to OCS.

The "inspect" thing is only for enlisted applicants, at least it is for USN.

Oddly enough I have had to deal with this exact situation but with 2 different people, one with hernia, the other with an expiring physical.

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12
Your OR is making this harder than it needs to be, the only thing needed to get your physical at MEPS from AF to USN is for you to sign a new 680 form, he submits that and within 24 hours your physical will be with the Navy Liason at MEPS.

The physical part is actually 2 parts.

First to get your FS letter what you need is the documentation saying the hernia is fixed and you are "released from care", that along with your DQ physical will go to N3M and you should be PQ's by them, all this is without going to MEPS.

Unless you get into the April 15th class you will need a full physical as your current one will be greater than 2 years when you graduate OCS, this can be done anytime but it really depends how fast you want to go to OCS.

The "inspect" thing is only for enlisted applicants, at least it is for USN.

Oddly enough I have had to deal with this exact situation but with 2 different people, one with hernia, the other with an expiring physical.

Great info.

I'll push again Monday and suggest the 680 route if I don't hear from my OR.

I "want" to go to OCS as fast as possible, haha. I've heard 15 April may be getting kind of full but I'm up for whatever. At this phase of my life, USN says "jump", I say "how high?".

I think I've been PQ (if that means pre qual'ed) with the hernia repair documentation already. I know when I started the process back in October, the 12 pages of records from the civilian docs/surgeon who worked on me went to MEPS and, the way my recruiter explained it, they had to approve it before I could even continue the process.

I think I'm OK and trying to be optimistic but worried I could be developing another small hernia in a different area. I'm assuming if something like this came up prior to OCS, I'd likely loose the pro rec because, even if repaired ASAP, Id still be DQ'ed for at least 6.5 months (assuming I could rush surgery in a week or two notice)?. At least that's how it went with the AF, they found hernia and said "sorry your dropped".

Sorry to be such a pain with questions, such a great opportunity yet so stressful with plenty of opportunity for it to get screwed up. :eek:

exNavyOffRec

Hernia repair is indeed a 6 month wait, if you have developed a hernia again the NRD should request you be one of those that is going to be pushed to FY13, then they have time to work with you without losing your spot.