• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Issues

PJ81

FS SNA
I think everyone here needs to go rent Gattaca and reevaluate themselves and their "holier than though" bs mentalities.

I doubt they would have let that guy go to space in that movie had he "come clean"

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
With medical records and screening, there is a fine line between having a lack of integrity, and not bringing undue and needless asspain upon yourself. Personal opinion only here, but if it is in your past, is not an issue anymore, and isn't considered disqualifying, it just isn't worth all the beauracratic BS needed for them to tell you what you already know (that it is no longer an issue). On the other hand, if you have something more serious that is still a factor in your life, or something on your record that is considered disqualifying regardless of the timeframe it occured in, then you would be asking for trouble not reporting it. Again, just my personal opinion, but I know that I am not the only one with these sentiments. In any case, bottom line is that if you truly feel like you omitted something that you shouldn't have, then it is time to come clean and take whatever heat comes from it.

Falk

FS SNA
On a related but slightly off-topic note. Does anyone know when the flight physical is? My recruiter told me that it used to be during ocs but that he wasn't sure anymore.

skydiving

I basically am going to try and amend my record. I think their is a good possibility they will check with insurance and maybe now it is time I can fix the record before I get into trouble, then after OCS when there can be serious shit. I have not signed anything yet.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On a related but slightly off-topic note. Does anyone know when the flight physical is? My recruiter told me that it used to be during ocs but that he wasn't sure anymore.

You will do a full-up flight physical at OCS, and then another another short form physical when you check into API. The second one is the NAMI WHAMMY that everyone always talks about. Short form includes the eye exam, HIV test, vitals and a visit with the doc to get your upchit. You do all of that plus hearing, EKG and full lab/bloodwork on the long form. If you happen to turn 25 between your OCS physical and A-pool (like I did coming from my NROTC pre-comm flight physical), you will do a long form in pcola regardless. Hope that helps

Falk

FS SNA
You will do a full-up flight physical at OCS, and then another another short form physical when you check into API. The second one is the NAMI WHAMMY that everyone always talks about. Short form includes the eye exam, HIV test, vitals and a visit with the doc to get your upchit. You do all of that plus hearing, EKG and full lab/bloodwork on the long form. If you happen to turn 25 between your OCS physical and A-pool (like I did coming from my NROTC pre-comm flight physical), you will do a long form in pcola regardless. Hope that helps

Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to know when they do the MRI would you?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
They normally do x-rays on the long form, but I don't recall ever having an MRI done (in the 5 physicals I have had). Maybe if you have a history of something related, then they would...not sure.

markkyle66

I am starting to agree w/ MIDNJAC's first post. I haven't been able to process at MEPS because out of honesty I mentioned in my paperwork having a small cyst removed from my upper lip 10 years ago. Next thing you know, NRD wants the operation/pathology report to give to MEPS, which of course my Surgeon only had one of. I'm waiting on a written statement from him saying the pathology report no longer exist.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
With medical records and screening, there is a fine line between having a lack of integrity, and not bringing undue and needless asspain upon yourself. Personal opinion only here, but if it is in your past, is not an issue anymore, and isn't considered disqualifying, it just isn't worth all the beauracratic BS needed for them to tell you what you already know (that it is no longer an issue). On the other hand, if you have something more serious that is still a factor in your life, or something on your record that is considered disqualifying regardless of the timeframe it occured in, then you would be asking for trouble not reporting it. Again, just my personal opinion, but I know that I am not the only one with these sentiments. In any case, bottom line is that if you truly feel like you omitted something that you shouldn't have, then it is time to come clean and take whatever heat comes from it.
this and

I am starting to agree w/ MIDNJAC's first post. I haven't been able to process at MEPS because out of honesty I mentioned in my paperwork having a small cyst removed from my upper lip 10 years ago. Next thing you know, NRD wants the operation/pathology report to give to MEPS, which of course my Surgeon only had one of. I'm waiting on a written statement from him saying the pathology report no longer exist.

this

and i highly doubt they'll go to an insurance company or dr office and demand your records... i'm pretty sure you have to authorize the holder of those records, its not like they can just show up and say "he told us it was ok, hand them over"

if its something big like "hey i thought it'd be cool to swap livers with someone back in the day" then of course you have to tell them ... but a hangnail you had when you were 10 years old? use common sense and be smart.

as long as we're comparing senior officer quotes, the one i got prior to showing up to MEPS was "do not lie, not under any circumstances lie to the docs at MEPS -- however, don't volunteer either."

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
MEPS =/= a flight physical. I don't care if you're qualified to be an undesignated striker... there's a reason we have flight docs who look over what is supposed to be all of the background history of a candidate for "duty involving control of an aircraft in a training environment."

Go back and fix it. Take whatever heat you get. I put shit on my record that caused a little bit of asspain....yet I managed to keep both my integrity and end up with gold wings. Right now you've got neither of those. Something to think about.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
with everything that has been said thus far, the bottom line is that if it is something that will NPQ you, it WILL show up in the flight physical and attempting to hide it is dishonest and most likely not going to help your cause. MEPS is kind of attempting to help you in this case, getting certain things out of the way prior to the full day of crazyness that is the flight physical in newport because it'd suck to quit jobs, say goodbye to friends/family, relocate only to get told to go home.

don't be that guy who shows up at OCS to be NPQ'ed on the second day due to the failure to disclose an eye surgery -- this happened to a guy in my class.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think it would really add to this discussion if the OP just said what the problem was. Until then, we probably all have different ideas about what it is that he is trying to conceal, and our feedback is kind of useless.

Falk

FS SNA
To scoolbubba and all the others who are so quick to judge:

One of my friends joined the Marines a couple years ago when things weren't going so well in Iraq and our government was trying its hardest to get new recruits. He decided to omit the fact that he recently finished up having completed his allergy shots (for a very mild *not dangerous* allergy to shell fish and a couple other random things) as he knew the military requires that you wait 1 full year after doing so before you apply. He lied because he knew his case wouldn't be judged by an impartial doctor who had the military's needs at heart but rather by a mindless, bored bureaucrat who probably didn't care what the situation was on the ground. He lied because he felt his country needed him and he, like so few others, was man enough to heed his country's call.

Now I suppose you could call him a liar and say he lacks integrity and that he should have come clean from the beginning, but I doubt it. Once again, lets not rush to conclusions before we get the full story. And if we don't get all the details lets hold off on saying something we may come to regret.