• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Issues

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
When I got NPQed at OCS, I was asked the question of what I wanted to do in the Navy. I was even offered a Nuke slot that I turned down. It all comes down to numbers eventually. I was 1.5 weeks from commissioning and said I wanted to stay URL and that my top choice was EOD. My class officer put out the feelers and came back with SWO and SWO(N) being the only options available. I accepted on a Wednesday and had orders cut to beautiful, sunny Mayport that next Monday. Like was said earlier, I've never seen the Navy move that fast.

But the SWO life isn't all that bad, and there is always the possibility of getting your medical issues sorted and then re-designating at the end of your first tour. Also, as a SWO you get to wear SWOveralls.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
I had a similar experience. I just recently graduated OCS and was NPQ'd Pilot on medical Monday and re-designated to NFO. My class officer met with me the days following to ensure I wanted to continue with the program. Around week 6-7 is when he brought me back in to nail down what I wanted to do in the Navy.

exNavyOffRec

When I got NPQed at OCS, I was asked the question of what I wanted to do in the Navy. I was even offered a Nuke slot that I turned down. It all comes down to numbers eventually. I was 1.5 weeks from commissioning and said I wanted to stay URL and that my top choice was EOD. My class officer put out the feelers and came back with SWO and SWO(N) being the only options available. I accepted on a Wednesday and had orders cut to beautiful, sunny Mayport that next Monday. Like was said earlier, I've never seen the Navy move that fast.

But the SWO life isn't all that bad, and there is always the possibility of getting your medical issues sorted and then re-designating at the end of your first tour. Also, as a SWO you get to wear SWOveralls.

I am guessing they would have held up your commissioning until the screening and interview was over if you asked to try for nuke, the academic screening is generally the toughest part but it only takes the screeners a few minutes, the part that requires travel takes up all the time.

Jon Jones

Hi all,

I had asthma as a child. It is my opinion that I no longer have it, but I obviously listed it and provided medical records because I didn't want to cheat or waste my time or the Navy's time. I was told today that I was "waiver recommended" and my recruiter would be sending "through med waive."

That sounds like a good thing, but what exactly does it mean? Does that mean I'm in the clear and am not medically disqualified, or am I still waiting to see if I'm all set?

I mainly want to know so I can explain what's going on a little better to my family who's been asking me about it for a week or so.

Thanks in advance.

-Jon

BleedGreen

pilot
Your question is a little too broad in my opinion.
For starters:
1. Are your active duty, reserve, non-prior?
2. What are you applying for?
3.Can you elaborate on where you are in the medical process?
4. What testing have you done to prove to the Navy that you do not have asthma; any pulmonary function tests (PFT) or methacholline challenge tests (MCT)?

Jon Jones

Ah, sorry. Here's a little more info.

1. I am non-prior.
2. Applying for NFO, SWO, Intel.
3. Sent in letter from doctor which got me cleared for processing through MEPS. I am done with MEPS. Was asked for additional medical paperwork from my primary physician regarding past asthma (status was "open"...not DQ'd). Was told I may need to come back to MEPS for additional testing. Just received word from my recruiter that I was recommended by MEPS for an asthma waiver and would not neded to come in for further testing. Which brings me to the present.
4. I have not done any of the tests mentioned. My primary physician's medical records indicated that asthma symptoms were mild with only two asthma-related issues being reported since 2003. Upon examination, there were no asthma symptoms present after the reports were made (by my father). The two "issues" were a cough and nasal congestion...i.e. I was sick (my dad uses the word 'cough' and 'asthma' interchangably).

Hopefully that answers some questions and gives you a bit more to go on.

Thanks,

Jon

BleedGreen

pilot
Yeah that'll help paint a picture for anyone trying to answer your question.
From what you described, it sounds like MEPS has recommended a waiver for your asthma from N3M (medical gatekeeper of the Navy) . That waiver is only good for a general commission and not aviation. N3M still has to review your physical and make their own determination granting you a waiver, regardless of what the docs recommended at MEPS. When applying for NFO, N3M will compare your physical to NAMI's (aviation gatekeeper) physical standards to ensure you meet the requirements for NFO. If N3M decides to be thorough when reviewing your physical,they will more than likely request additional testing, that NAMI will want to see later on anyways.
I would review NAMI's aeromedical waiver guidelines to better understand what tests you'll need. In a nutshell, they will request a PFT and an MCT, both with negative findings. If N3M doesn't request it now, NAMI will more than likely want that before they sign you off.
The biggest thing I would look into is the MCT I mentioned above because that test is a PITA. I barely passed the test and I work in a very physically demanding environment and rarely, if ever, experience respiratory issues.

These are things I've learned from my personal experience, maybe some of the more qualified/flight surgeon types can chime in on this.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/Waiver Guide - Respiratory 090910w.pdf

Jon Jones

These are things I've learned from my personal experience, maybe some of the more qualified/flight surgeon types can chime in on this.

That's very helpful information. I appreciate your help. If anyone has information beyond that feel free to chime in, but that answers my question pretty well.

-Jon

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want a real warm and fuzzy on this run it by the two docs we have in the docs corner forum. But for anyone else that happens by this thread let me offer some advise about medical based on many years recruiting. Read the question carefully and consider what it is the Navy is really worried about. I ran across dozens of guys that were told they had asthma as a child by their parents. They reported it and ended up going through just what we have here. If a guy had juvenile asthma I would ask him how old he was. If he wasn't a juvenile (duh) he didn't have asthma. Had any attacks in your adulthood when exercising, no? Then forget about it. The Navy wants to make sure you don't have an attack when wearing an OBA on a ship during GQ, grunting in a high G environment, or double timing up a hill with a rucksack. That is all they care about. My own brother in law was DQed for bad knees because he told them he had knee pain the day of his physical. Hell, he had just run a 100 mile ultra marathon through the mountains a couple days before. Of course he was sore. I bet the Army really wanted a guy that could run 100 miles through the mountains expecting he could make it though Airborne and Helo Assault training no problem, which he later did, as a 42 year old! Be careful how you answer those questions. Be honest and be THOUGHTFUL.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
what if someone fail the swimming at flight physical. he is sent home

I am trying to decipher your message here, but not sure what you are asking?

However, there is no swimming portion of the flight physical as the flight physical is a medical examination and the swimming is a complete different evolution. If you fail that at OCS, you get put into remedial swim and they will work with you in order for you to pass.