• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Issues

exNavyOffRec

you need to find a way to get those documents on the eye surgery, that could be iffy on getting you cleared, and how bad is the vision in that eye

exNavyOffRec

Well, I didn't pass the DMV vision test, so I had to have my eye doctor fill out a form stating that my vision is good enough to drive.

That is not a good indicator, was that with glasses? your vision has to be correctable to 20/20 and the uncorrected limits cannot exceed specified diopters.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
What designator are you going for? That would be really helpful for everyone. I get the feeling that airwarriors tends to be way more concerned with MEPS than the designator specific medical stuff. MEPS does not mean you are in the clear for aviation, for example.

DavidVega

What designator are you going for? That would be really helpful for everyone. I get the feeling that airwarriors tends to be way more concerned with MEPS than the designator specific medical stuff. MEPS does not mean you are in the clear for aviation, for example.

I'm shooting for IWO. I figured I didn't have a chance for aviation considering my vision.

exNavyOffRec

I think you are right on this, but when it comes to vision ALL applicants have to be correctable to 20/20 and not exceed specified diopter requirements to be cleared by N3M, if a person can't pass a driving eye exam with glass that is a big red flag with alarms.

DIVO

For Restricted line - you don't have to correct to 20/20 -- google "medical standardsfor appointment, enlistment or induction in the armed forces" -- page 10 outlines vision. I got picked up for Intel with 20/25 vision on my medical -- amazingly, I now have 20/20 with no surgery...

fleet jobs require 20/20

DavidVega

I think you are right on this, but when it comes to vision ALL applicants have to be correctable to 20/20 and not exceed specified diopter requirements to be cleared by N3M, if a person can't pass a driving eye exam with glass that is a big red flag with alarms.

My apologies, I should have been more clear with my situation. I passed the driving exam with glasses. I didn't pass the vision portion, the test where you have to read the letters and such. Once I turned in the DMV form signed by my eye doctor stating that my vision is ok to drive, I took the driving test and passed.

I think I'm going to roll the dice and see what happens anyway in regards to MEPS. I'll be sure to give an update to everyone. Thanks for all the advice and for sharing your thoughts. I didn't expect so much quality info.

exNavyOffRec

For Restricted line - you don't have to correct to 20/20 -- google "medical standardsfor appointment, enlistment or induction in the armed forces" -- page 10 outlines vision. I got picked up for Intel with 20/25 vision on my medical -- amazingly, I now have 20/20 with no surgery...

fleet jobs require 20/20

Interesting, I had a Staff corps applicant that Doc Caruso would not give the ok on until provided documents showing correctable to 20/20, he was also 20/25 on his paperwork.

DIVO

Vision is always a problem with my MEPS - usually if they fail something at MEPS, I have my applicants go out and town to get reseted. Usually the out in town results are more favorable. I submit the MEPS physical along with the eye doc notes (and I ask the eye doc write a letter explaining notes) and N3M has ALWAYS sided with the out in town results.

exNavyOffRec

Vision is always a problem with my MEPS - usually if they fail something at MEPS, I have my applicants go out and town to get reseted. Usually the out in town results are more favorable. I submit the MEPS physical along with the eye doc notes (and I ask the eye doc write a letter explaining notes) and N3M has ALWAYS sided with the out in town results.

I had to have him go out in town after MEPS, it was the same result, he had to have another one done after that and he explained to the doc how important it was for him to get 20/20, not sure if that affected what was on the sheet.