• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living in Corpus

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
That's really far if you are going to commute to NAS Corpus. Bridge Point Landing is housing for NS Ingleside. You wouldn't want a commute that long every day to go to NAS CC.

thundersquid

pilot
I had heard it was about 20-30 minutes away. Is that right? It was listed as housing for both Ingleside or Corpus but now that I see it on the map, I see what you are saying.

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
Are you looking for base housing and worried you won't get into NAS base housing? It's more than a 20 minute drive, and you're having to go completely through Corpus just to get to the base. Not worth it at all, IMO.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
well i'll plug my place. i lived at Kingston Port Apts off Airline. I found it decent, alright staff, but no garages. Still i wont say its a dangerous place (my wife left my back door open all night and nothing was gone, but i do drive an ex cop car) but who knows? there is a real nice neighborhood right behind us if you're looking for a house, i go running there all the time. The drive to the base is about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic and i've had no problems with breakins etc, even though i've heard others here have had some.

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
I live in Camden Copper Ridge and it's really nice and quiet and the service is excellent. Only $600 per month for 750 sq feet. Real nice pool too.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
We got orders a couple of days ago and have to be there in a week (2 Aug) ... my wife and I were looking for a 3br place and had considered base housing. I think that only the old ones are available - is this a bad idea? We haven't seen pictures of it and won't have time to get down for house hunting. If the base housing is really bad, or if you can get a better place for same money ($1124/mo) then all suggestions are welcome. We would like to stay pretty close to the base if possible.

Thanks.

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
VarmintShooter,
Use the links in my post above to see available rental homes. We used Pacesetter-Steel and were very happy with them (recommended to us by another Navy couple). We have a 3 BR house for a little more than your price, but not too much. You should certainly be able to find a 3 BR home in an acceptable neighborhood for $1124. I would honestly stick to south of SPID and east of Everhart if you can though. We spent about 3 days looking for places until we found ours, and we were frustrated by the small number of homes available to be honest. I would recommend driving around neighborhoods as well- that's actually how we found our house, the day it was being listed as a rental so it wasn't in the paper/website yet.
Best of luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need more info.

lynnie2183

P3 Wife
corpus housing

Varmint Shooter,
Don't live on base, its really gross and you will be unhappy. My husband is here in the P3 pipeline too, and he is very relieved that he can leave the base every day and get away to study and have a life. Rent a house, either in the southside area that NFOwife mentioned above, or come out to the island and rent a house there. Most of the houses we looked at were $1050 on the island, which was more than we needed for just the two of us. We are in the Beach Club apartments, which are cute and affordable.

There are lots of houses for rent on the island, especially on Cruiser Rd. The best way to find houses for rent is to just drive around and look, write down the numbers and call. The housing office on base is not all that helpful, and a lot of the rentals are not listed in the traditional MLS system that real estate people use.

You can drive yourself nuts looking for a place to live in Corpus Christi that is affordable, quiet and safe. THere is a lot of good advice on this board, and there are plenty of management agencies here that will help you. I didn't go through one, but I should have. It would have saved me a lot of stress.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
It looks like I'll be reporting to CC in mid-September, and have the same dilemma. "Should I move into base housing, or rent a house in town?". I've never lived on base, so that would be a risky move, especially since what I've been hearing on this forum. I wonder if that "have to move into the old ones because they're only moving people from the old ones into the new ones" will still be the same around mid-September. I have 3 kids, so I'll be definately looking for a 3+ bdrm.

One more question though...for the remote possibility that I get jets or e-2/C-2 out of primary and get stationed in Kingsville, will the Navy do a PCS move for me to move to somewhere around Kingsville? How does this change if I'm living in base housing in CC? Just looking at all possibilites. Thanks for the help.

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
Corpus to Kingsville IS a PCS move, so if you needed to move down there, you should be able to (with the Navy paying for it). Best of luck!

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Thanks for all of the info guys ... we are down here now and happily living on the island (on Cruiser St.). Our rent is $1050, just like most of the others, and it is very nice.

As for navy housing ... disgusting! The old on-base housing is scheduled to be phased out over the next 2 years. The place we were supposed to rent had wood rotting off the door. Originally we weren't able to move in on the day we arrived, but the office said that they expected "several cancellations" in the 8 days before we arrived. I can see why.

They won't tell you when each cul-de-sac is switching over to the new housing, so it is a real gamble to move in hoping that you will get to switch. The base newspaper reports that the old housing has extensive mold/mildew issues, plus leaky roofs. The backyards appear small and you will be crammed in there tight with everyone else. Also, depending on your BAH level, you can find something much nicer out on the island.

In short, there is no way I would live on base until the new housing is complete in 2006.

We looked at a couple of places in town, but found better value for our dollar on the island. I am not certain that we looked everywhere we should have, but I only selected Corpus eight days before I checked out, so we took the first reasonable place we found.

Thanks again to those who helped!

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Thought I'd add this ... the scanned article from the base newspaper. Note that the housing was built in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.

(Hope the attachment feature works ...)

Attachments

• Corpus Housing.jpg
    Corpus Housing.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 67