• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living in Corpus

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
There's also base housing. They're about to finish up the last of the new houses. Some folks don't like living on base but I think it's the best kept secret. We lived on base at Quantico also and my wife lived on base growing up. Auto theft is big out in town and thats one thing we considered when choosing a place to live.

kimphil

Originally posted by E5B
There's also base housing. They're about to finish up the last of the new houses. Some folks don't like living on base but I think it's the best kept secret. We lived on base at Quantico also and my wife lived on base growing up. Auto theft is big out in town and thats one thing we considered when choosing a place to live.

I was visiting Austin three years ago and I rented a car for a week. The insurance I purchased with the car wouldn't cover theft/damage within 50 miles of the Mexican border. What the hell is going on down there?
propeller_125.gif

rare21

pilot
Contributor
They steal your car, take it across the border and you'll never see it again. Also most people down there are drivers from mexico which equals no insurance so if you get in an accident you or the rental car company is going to pay for it. just looks like them covering their butt, I"m from Brownsville so i should know.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Agent,

I don't know who gave you that info on some of those places to live but it is VERY BAD! Candlewood and Christiwood are quite run down and not in the best locations off Staples. I would avoid those two, there are much better places out there.

Sugartree and Baypoint are nice and close to base. I lived at Chandler's Mill, good place, just get a place on the interior not on the drive (its a horse shoe loop one way) if you are a light sleeper like me as every night there was the one SOB who would drive as fast as he could with stereo blaring at 3am. Very secure and safe place if you are worried about car theft. There was one other good place, can't remember the name, yellow painted complex somwhere between Rod Field RD and Airline on Saratoga, ask around, people will know what I am talking about.

As for the other two places you mentioned, can't say for certain I remember them but what I think I am remembering is not good. Anyway, you'll find a good place no prob, have fun.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I heard Sugartree sucks from a friend who just went to Advanced Helos. He's credible to me so I'm going to take his word on it. His gripes were on the maintenance, management, theft, etc.

WilsonsKM

78414 is a good zip code. You want to live south of the Freeway. If you live on the Island than have fun with the scorpions. They come in apartments and houses out there. I guess they are crawling all around. You can rent a good home for what you pay for a good apartment.

Kevin
VT-28

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
It smells every morning like someone crapped in your front yard! I am not joking! They are dredging the bay and all the bacteria makes for a lovely smell!

S. Staples is nice, cimaron is nice, anything undre 500 a month is a bit on the scetch side (one bedroom).

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
We lived in Summer House Apartments on Burnham St., off of Staples. The apartments are in a great neighborhood, so it's nice and quiet. All of the apartments also come with a garage. Not a carport, a garage with a door.

Q

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
My husband and I live in 78412. It is the Airline/Alameda area- and only two blocks from the bay- and only a block away from some pretty expensive housing!!- so we figure it is safe- but we have two CCPD officers living around us as well!
icon_smile_wink.gif
It takes about 10 mins to get to the base when the back gate is open- and a little longer if going on the SPID. We personally don't like Flour Bluff- but to each his own. I know a lot of people that live in the Saratoga area- and there are a lot of apartments there. We were looking at living at Armon Bay- you can find info about them at www.apartmentguide.com but- they didn't have any 3 BDRMs available. We wanted a lot of space! There are a lot of places- but it seems that the usual is 15 mins or so either way. I know some people that live out on the island- and it is about the same distance for them as well. As for where on the PID I wouldn't live any further north than Everhart or Weber- then you're getting into more of a hike.

We looked for houses to rent- GOOD LUCK!
clover_125.gif
Because we didn't have any. We took about 5 days- and called EVERYWHERE- and all of the house rentals had been scooped up. Any other questions PM me. I can give you info about our complex if you want. Is it just you and your wife? You? There are places that have small and large apartments- and since we looked at so many- I can probably tell you! Also- we went through an apartment locater (since houses were out of the question) and we found one pretty quickly (5 hours after we called them!!!). Ok, obviously I have a lot of info on this subject- so just PM if you need any more questions answered. Good luck!

-Heather

Fatboy

pilot
I live in Summer House also there Q-ball. The best part of this area is there is a strip bar two blocks from my front door. Its prime real estate!

FLMarine

I also live in chandlers mill and I like it a lot. It's not the newest place around but it is in good shape, has a great pool and hot tub, managment is nice, gated, relativly safe (it's very safe once I'm in my house because if any wants to get in they'll get met by .45 230 grain hydroshoks :) ), and it's only about 10-15 min. from base. For a single bedroom I pay about 545 a month and cable, trash, and one or two other bills are included. Candle wood and christi wood are a little run down and when I've been over there at night I just don't feel too safe. The people in Chandlers Mill are very nice and look out for each other; i.e. keeps a lookout for shady people.

jthorp

Wow,
there's a lot of great info in here. This is really helpful because I don't know if we'll actually get to see anything in person before we move out there!
Does anyone know what the military movers do when you move from a house to an apartment and have to put half your things in storage? We have a large house here in Pensacola with a garage-so moving to a 2 bedroom apartment in CC will definitely require us to put some stuff in storage. Will the military movers move your things to two places like that? And if so, do you have to separate it all before they pack (that would make sense- oh! the joy!)?

polynikes

I know this is an old topic, but as far as places to live on the island here is a good website. This link actually features my place that I'm trying to lease out, but there are a few others listed as well:
http://www.rentalmgmt.com/Long%20Term/Leeward15110/15110_leeward.htm

Hartman

Yes, as a matter of fact the movers will take your stuff where ever you like. And since they are so appreciative of your military service, they will take your instructions to the next level by stealing or breaking half of your sh*t. I recommend that you do a thorough inventory of your stuff and make a video tape of everything if you have the means. Most importantly, I recommend purchasing replacement value insurance if your stuff is going into storage. You see, when your stuff goes into storage, it will most likely be handled by at least three different parties. The dudes who pick your stuff up, the monkeys who store it, and finally whoever is hired to deliver it. That's a lot of places for bad things to happen to your shipment. You can buy replacement value insurance when you go to Personal Property to have your goods shipped OUT of storage and back to you. It can get really complicated and PP even tried to talk me out of buying the insurance, but it was the only thing that saved me from having to live with the standard insurance which only gives you pawn shop value for whatever is broken. I've also talked to people who recommend that you demand to witness your stuff being packed into the wooden crate that will be used to store your entire shipment at the govt. storage facility. I don't know if you're really allowed to do this, but it seems like a good means for preventing theft. When my stuff was put into storage, a couple of ex-cons came over to my house and packed everyting into cardboard boxes which were then taken to the warehouse and re-opened while those bast*rds stole what they wanted and put the rest into the wooden crate for storage.