• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living in Corpus

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Revisited: Places To Live In Corpus?

Alright, I've been all through Apartmentguide.com and found a lot of apartments in Corpus... and I'm ready to pull my hair out.

We should be there in less than a month, at VT-31 for the Coast Guard syllabus in the T-44. I have 2 sims left, 3 cruise, and 9 RI/Stage/Nav flights left. Hopefully be done in a week or so. Select on 22 July.

It's me, the wife and a 3 y/o boy.

Looking for a place that is safe. We are currently in a 3 bedroom home with a garage, riding lawn mower, fridge and washer and dryer.

I guess right now I'm looking for a nice 2 bedroom.. or 3 bedroom if the price is right and the complex is nice.

I've found some places that have personal garages. Looks promising, but unsure of safety, cleanliness, noise, etc. Curious also about the places that have garages.. ie can I store stuff in the garage and park the car elsewhere on the property? :) I know it defeats the purpose, but eh.. only prob I see is storing my fridge and lawn mower.

Also, does anyone have any idea how much a storage facility is in the Corpus area?

Recommended places that are safe, quiet and clean?

The Fiarway Apartments look decent and sorta close to the base...? Comes with a garage. Anyone know anything about them? They're at 6440 Everhart in Corpus.

Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh :D

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
We live in a 3 bedroom house, but to be honest, houses ain't cheap! But, my husband is also an 0-3 so he gets more BAH. Anyhow, apartment wise, here is a post from the private spouses forum that I'm copying here for you. The San Marin apartments do have garages that you rent, that are not part of your rent, but you also get parking that is part of your rent. We had a friend rent the garage for his waverunner, motorcycle, and extra stuff. He had a 2 bedroom. Here is some info from previous threads (private spouse corner).
Here is the company we found our house through: Pacesetter Steel Property Management. They were very easy to work with and I would definitely recommend them. Their rental info includes the pet policy which is good to know right off the bat.

Here's the Caller-Times Rental Search from the Newspaper. It's good to look the addresses up on Mapquest before calling for info.

Here's another company that does long-term (meaning not for vacations by the week) rentals on the Island: Rental Management Company.

Oh and it's Texas law that there is always a military clause in every lease.

If you live in Corpus (not on the island), I'd recommend finding a place East of Everhart. We live East of Staples and South of SPID in a newer neighborhood. We were very disappointed in the number of houses available that would take pets. A lot of the ones that say they take dogs mean "dogs that stay outside in your backyard all the time" (which ours don't). Anyhow, when it came down to it we only had 2 houses that we would consider, and one was up by Ocean Drive. Then we found out the NAS back gate (closest to that house) was not open all the time, so that pretty much made up our mind. We really like our house and the area where we live. We have some friends that live on the island as well and they are happy there too. Hope you find what you are looking for! Let me know if I can do anything to help you!

I agree with Kathy on the Staples/Saratoga area-that's where our house is pretty much located. Here are the names of the apartment complexes in the area:
Camden Breakers (on Staples, S. of Saratoga)
Camden Copper Ridge (on Saratoga, just west of Staples)
Arbors on Saratoga (On Saratoga and Cimarron)
San Marin (On Staples, just south of Lipes)
Walnut Ridge (On Staples, North of Saratoga)

There are also a lot of SNA's that live in the Bay Point apartments, those are off of SPID and Ennis Joslin (I think that's the cross street).

These posts were written by me, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, either here or by PM. Good luck!

Hi...

When I came down to Corpus, all everyone here said is, "Don't move into Bay Point!" Apparently the management will screw you over big-time when it comes time to move out, and frequently along the way as well. I have heard nothing good about that place.

Hope it helps!

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Chandler's Mill on Meadowvista is nice, just get a place that faces in towards either the courtyard or pool area and not out towards the drive.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Base housing there is nice. We had a brand new house (first to live in it) and it was 1700 sq ft, 2 BR, an office, Garage, fenced in back yard, 2 1/2 bath. If you have 9 years in or 2 kids you rate a 3 BR. You don't get any safer than Base Housing. After hearing some stories from my buds, and having a very mobile toddler, I'm glad we lived on base.

They're tearing down all the old houses and building even more new ones.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Base housing would be a good idea, or live on the Island. Unfortunately the best way to find places for rent on the island is to actually drive around and look. The base had very poor info as far as houses for rent in the area. I got an island map and drove up and down every street writing down the info of the house for rent signs. Then called on them the next day. There are some great rental deals out there if you look.

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
Getting a place on the Island is the worst idea ever. Well, that is, until they finish the bridge work that is supposed to be finished by September (that will NEVER happen). Other than waiting in a traffic jam for 30+ minutes to get across the bridge, having to drive 30+ minutes to get to a groccery store (or ANYTHING worth going to for that matter), and paying much more than on the mainland, I guess living on the Island isn't so bad. I mean, who DOESN'T like to have to get up super early and leave an hour before you gotta be somewhere?! Don't be a fool; stay in school.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't forget about hurricane season. There were 2 while I was there, and plenty of people ended up stranded on the island. Keep in mind this is a possibility. Unless they finally went through with that plan to raise the road a few feet....

Dexter80

I live in base housing now and I wing in August. If I were to be in Corpus any longer I would move off base. I would not recommend base housing at all. Very shady. The old ones are in very poor shape. Lots of mold and they are literally falling apart. The new ones are not much better. We live in the 2 bedroom duplexes that are about 6 years old. They are not being filled anymore. Once vacated they stay empty until they are renovated / torn down. They all leak very bad and have lots of mold. There is a brand new neighborhood being built that is 3 and 4 bedroom houses and duplexes that are very nice. I was told that they are being filled only with the people moving from the old units.

Also, the housing is PPV and the management is not very military friendly. They frequently complain about not getting 30 days notice on moving out. I'm not sure how they think the military works but apparently no one told them.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Actually I didnt have any problem living on the island. Though we had a house. The rent was very reasonable for what we had, and my friends living in town in apartments got flooded out with rain long before we ever did. The road construction is going well, there was never flooding on the island bridge when I lived there and the traffic was only bad for spring break. Other than that it took me 20 minutes at the most from my door to the squadron.

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
Well, that's all great if you're only there for the winter and go nowhere other than the Squadron. Some people like to do other things. Silly, I know. Anyways, back to the topic at hand: where to live. If you're looking for a house, then the south side of SPID is the best part. My roommy and I looked at a few in Flower Bluff, and they were nice and reasonably priced. We opted for an apartment at Sugar Tree, though, because we didn't want to have to worry about cutting the grass or paying extra for sewer. The guy that helped us find a place worked for Precious Property at 5702 South Staples. Hope this helps.

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
If you are looking for a big complex-type apartment, on the island the only complex I can think of would be the Beach Place apartments. I'm pretty sure AndysGirl over in the Spouse's Corner lived there when they where here in Corpus, but I believe they liked it, and from what I saw, it is a nice complex. Over on the "mainland", if I were you I'd go with a gated complex that has a garage (since that's important for you). I know the San Marin apts. has garages, the rest I'm not sure about. All the apts. in my earlier post are in the "nicer" areas of the Southside, so you will be okay safety-wise.
When we first came here to find a place in December, we were told that the wait for base housing was 4-5 months, and that was for the old ones (since the new ones are being filled by people moving out of the older housing). So, not worth it to us. You'll probably only be here for 6-7 months anyhow, so not too long. Hope you find a place that works for you!