• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberal Arts School?

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
To me it would make sense to have a seperate service academy/military college ranking? Because yeah, comparing Amherst or Williams with Annapolis does seem a little stupid just as comparing Williams with Texas A&M wouldn't make sense.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Princeton review manages to do their rankings without a hitch. I didn't feel like paying to see the latest rankings, but I know they can break it down into majors which, to me, is much more beneficial than school overall. What do I care if a school is good in Poli Sci if I want to go astrophysics?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Princeton review manages to do their rankings without a hitch. I didn't feel like paying to see the latest rankings, but I know they can break it down into majors which, to me, is much more beneficial than school overall. What do I care if a school is good in Poli Sci if I want to go astrophysics?

Because in most fields, the quality of your undergraduate department doesn't mean shit so long it's reasonably good. It's grad school when you really need to start shopping. And since most schools highly encourage you to seek a graduate degree elsewhere for diversity of viewpoint (this is true for the hard and soft sciences), going to a great program vice a good one only makes it harder to get in that great program for grad school. Stuff like quality of undergraduate education overall and quality of undergraduate life are more important than particular department rankings.

But, of course, you would know that if your alma mater were ranked higher than, say, 20. :icon_smil

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I know, I'm not helping my arguement, but my college actually tried to get out of being listed in the current rankings. Reason being, one of the things that holds the most weight in the rankings is the survey that they send out. They ask presidents and I think deans to rank other colleges and that counts for something absurd like 50% of the ranking. And of course a guy who went to such and such school will probably rank that school higher. So...maybe just maybe, most of the presidents of these hippie liberal arts colleges on this list didn't rank the academy because of their objections to "war"...? So it's not that the Naval Academy didn't rank as well as the others, it's just how the ranking is determined...just a thought.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I know, I'm not helping my arguement, but my college actually tried to get out of being listed in the current rankings. Reason being, one of the things that holds the most weight in the rankings is the survey that they send out. They ask presidents and I think deans to rank other colleges and that counts for something absurd like 50% of the ranking. And of course a guy who went to such and such school will probably rank that school higher. So...maybe just maybe, most of the presidents of these hippie liberal arts colleges on this list didn't rank the academy because of their objections to "war"...? So it's not that the Naval Academy didn't rank as well as the others, it's just how the ranking is determined...just a thought.

Ironically, the rebellion against the US News rankings was lead by something called the...Annapolis group.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The rankings do mean a great deal, for better or worse. The number of applications a college receives fluxuates greatly based on them, which affects the selectivity of the school. That selectivity is probably what people are really looking for, rather than the actual quality of the degree. Someone who knows that a certain college only accepts 10% of applicants will tend to think more highly of someone who's graduated from there.

In any case, I'd rather have colleges ranked on academics, vice sports. I think it's important that service academies are ranked, so that people realize that they're actually high-caliber institutions, vice just trade schools.

To be frank, if your undergrad institution is near the top of the rankings, the cachet will probably help you out later. Anything outside the top tier, they're all the same. The regional prominence is also a big deal. For example, If you want to be governor of South Carolina, the Citadel will probably set you up pretty well. Outside the South, no one will care.

I'm just hoping Cavt didn't go to Penn!:icon_wink

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Ironically, the rebellion against the US News rankings was lead by something called the...Annapolis group.

That it was, didn't remember that until now...interesting. Aren't they a group of college presidents that get together each year in Annapolis to discuss...stuff?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yes, and I believe it was led by USNA's neighbor across the street.

My self preservation instincts tell me to keep quiet but I can't resist...

In my short life's most ironic twist, pre-enlisted Navy scoober78...attended that little institution across the way his freshman year...:D

mcdowell.jpg

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
My self preservation instincts tell me to keep quiet but I can't resist...

In my short life's most ironic twist, pre-enlisted Navy scoober78...attended that little institution across the way his freshman year...:D

mcdowell.jpg

Holy sh!t, we've got a Johnnie among us?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As much as I hate to rank schools on athletics, there's something wrong with a place whose biggest intercollegiate sport is croquet...