• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberal Arts School?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Perhaps he meant to word it differently, but by comparing the differences - he's suggesting that they can't be the same...

A Liberal Arts College, in the lexicon, stands alone. A College of Arts and Sciences (or variation) teaches liberal arts, but is part of a larger university.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Well, we could look at it in terms of a literal interpretation of the words:

Academy: a school or college for special instruction or training in a subject

College: 1.an institution of higher learning, esp. one providing a general or liberal arts education rather than technical or professional training
2. a constituent unit of a university, furnishing courses of instruction in the liberal arts and sciences, usually leading to a bachelor's degree

University: an institution of learning of the highest level, having a college of liberal arts and a program of graduate studies together with several professional schools, as of theology, law, medicine, and engineering, and authorized to confer both undergraduate and graduate degrees (as said above)

Liberal Arts: the academic course of instruction at a college intended to provide general knowledge and comprising the arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences, as opposed to professional or technical subjects.

I would say the Naval Academy is appropriately named since it has special instruction for the Navy-Marine Corps. Liberal arts school? Hardly. We certainly have a liberal arts department (Group 3), however it wouldn't be considered a college within the Academy (same goes for sciences and engineering, there is no Rickover College of Engineering). The report made a mistake in calling us liberal arts as we do not fit the definition at all.

All definitions from Dictionary.com

MrSaturn

Contributor
It is by no means enough that an officer of the Navy should be a capable mariner. He must be that, of course, but also a great deal more. He should be as well a gentleman of liberal education, refined manners, punctilious courtesy, and the nicest sense of personal honor.

-Reefpoints

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Well, we could look at it in terms of a literal interpretation of the words:

Academy: a school or college for special instruction or training in a subject

College: 1.an institution of higher learning, esp. one providing a general or liberal arts education rather than technical or professional training
2. a constituent unit of a university, furnishing courses of instruction in the liberal arts and sciences, usually leading to a bachelor's degree

University: an institution of learning of the highest level, having a college of liberal arts and a program of graduate studies together with several professional schools, as of theology, law, medicine, and engineering, and authorized to confer both undergraduate and graduate degrees (as said above)

Liberal Arts: the academic course of instruction at a college intended to provide general knowledge and comprising the arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences, as opposed to professional or technical subjects.

I would say the Naval Academy is appropriately named since it has special instruction for the Navy-Marine Corps. Liberal arts school? Hardly. We certainly have a liberal arts department (Group 3), however it wouldn't be considered a college within the Academy (same goes for sciences and engineering, there is no Rickover College of Engineering). The report made a mistake in calling us liberal arts as we do not fit the definition at all.

All definitions from Dictionary.com

Ahem, you left one out. . .

Institute: An educational institution and especially one devoted to technical fields. :D

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It is by no means enough that an officer of the Navy should be a capable mariner. He must be that, of course, but also a great deal more. He should be as well a gentleman of liberal education, refined manners, punctilious courtesy, and the nicest sense of personal honor.

-Reefpoints

Ooh, touche. Still, I can't get past the BS vs BA and the heavy focus on technical majors, especially engineering. Besides, since our focus is on military training, I'd think that'd override any liberal arts title. When I think liberal arts school, I think of a school that has little to notechnical subjects. AllAmerican75, good call. I guess an institute is the opposite of liberal arts and a university is a combination thereof.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None

-Reefpoints

Liberal = vast in this case, but nice try.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I don't know, I think it is more of the liberal arts type. That quote is probably pretty old, and knowing traditional navy they'd be all for the history, English and social sciences aspect since naval officers are to be well rounded gentlemen who can discuss all aspects of high society, blah blah.

MasterBates

history, English and social sciences aspect since naval officers are to be well rounded gentlemen who can discuss all aspects of high society, blah blah.

Maybe therein lies my problem..

I have no idea how to play croquet, polo, or baccarat.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I don't know, I think it is more of the liberal arts type. That quote is probably pretty old, and knowing traditional navy they'd be all for the history, English and social sciences aspect since naval officers are to be well rounded gentlemen who can discuss all aspects of high society, blah blah.

No no no, not that high society... this one.

cisforsmasher

pilot
I'm impressed that A) you remembered that verbatim or even that b) you pulled out reefpoints to post that

-Reefpoints

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching determines the categories, big deal if USNA is in the "liberal arts" category. Carnegie no longer uses that name for that category, US News for some reason kept it. Some of you guys sound like it makes your degrees worth less.

For the category definition go here.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Liberal = vast in this case, but nice try.

Vast would be a great description of my experience.

Im agreeing with HH-60H here. Im confused that anyone actually is paying attention to rankings let alone trying to peg it into a certain label.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
AllAmerican75, good call. I guess an institute is the opposite of liberal arts and a university is a combination thereof.

Which is weird because my alma mater is definitely ranked up there in the public liberal arts colleges. But I guess we're the exception to the rule.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot

-Reefpoints

Oooooooooo Snap! He went JPJ on your ass!