• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberal Arts School?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Interesting article off of Foxnews about college rankings. Apparently USNA is considered a liberal arts school? I never would've thought that, but hey, at least we're in the top 20 and above West Point and the Zoomies.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I would imagine they were included because they're in the same breath as the Ivy leagues... maybe USNA put a little pressure on someone? It's obviously good PR, whether they need it or not.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I would imagine they were included because they're in the same breath as the Ivy leagues

You mean those Ivy Leagues that aren't liberal arts schools???:confused: What are you talking about?

phrogpilot73

From Encyclopedia Brittanica: "College or university curriculum aimed at imparting general knowledge and developing general intellectual capacities, in contrast to a professional, vocational, or technical curriculum."

While there are SOME professional/technical/vocational courses at the Naval Academy, the sheer variety of courses that you are required to take leads me to believe that the moniker "liberal arts" is very fitting.

tiger84

LT
pilot
When I think Liberal Arts school I think Williams and Amherst, not really any of the "bigger" Ivy League schools. I have a BSE in Aerospace Engineering from Princeton and I'd hardly call my experience there typical of a Liberal Arts education. Yes, the curriculum was well diversified and included a solid foundation in the liberal arts, but I think there is a pretty big distinction between universities which offer significant options for technical degrees (obviously including USNA) and Liberal Arts schools.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I would have thought everyone graduating with a BS vice a BA would rule it out as a liberal arts school. But then again, what the hell do I know.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
I would have thought everyone graduating with a BS vice a BA would rule it out as a liberal arts school. But then again, what the hell do I know.

Yeah, and that was my exact thought too. When I was there the administration harped on how we were all getting a technical background through calc, physics, etc. Our major was just on top of what we did as a whole, be it English, Mech E, or whatever.

Mango

pilot
professional, vocational, or technical curriculum

Then what the hell are those Naval leadersleep classes? Seems to me that our four years by the bay was nothing BUT professional and votech.

I would prefer that USNA remain proudly unranked over being #20 behind the likes of Wellesley and Vassar.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I just like the fact that I now have something to hold above the Academy guys when it comes to their whining about how great their college education was since my alma mater was in the top 5

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You also have to remember that USNA is not officially split up into several "colleges" like many other universities, i.e.: Penn State's Colleges of Engineering/Business/Sciences/Liberal Arts etc. So, the Majors that are offered at the Naval Academy that are Liberal Arts (History, Economics, Poli Sci, English, etc.) could be top notch - enough to place USNA in a "Liberal Arts" school category. I'm sure it could also be classified as an Engineering College as well.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My only argument for calling the Academy a liberal arts college is that there are (and correct me if I'm wrong here guys...) several courses that are core cirriculum consituents....ie...you may be a history major but you are still going to take EE, Calc, physics etc...

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
My only argument for calling the Academy a liberal arts college is that there are (and correct me if I'm wrong here guys...) several courses that are core cirriculum consituents....ie...you may be a history major but you are still going to take EE, Calc, physics etc...

Bingo.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I would imagine they were included because they're in the same breath as the Ivy leagues... maybe USNA put a little pressure on someone? It's obviously good PR, whether they need it or not.

wikipedia said:
Liberal arts colleges are primarily colleges with an emphasis upon undergraduate study in the liberal arts. The Encyclopædia Britannica Concise offers the following definition of the liberal arts as a, "college or university curriculum aimed at imparting general knowledge and developing general intellectual capacities, in contrast to a professional, vocational, or technical curriculum."

When I think of a liberal arts school, I think of it as a school that attempts to mentally broaden an individual, something I consider Ivy league schools to do, and frankly, a lot of schools; not just those smaller ones who put the liberal in liberal arts.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I just like the fact that I now have something to hold above the Academy guys when it comes to their whining about how great their college education was since my alma mater was in the top 5

awwww, boohoo, have those academy guys been picking on you again?