• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberal Arts School?

phrogpilot73

My only argument for calling the Academy a liberal arts college is that there are (and correct me if I'm wrong here guys...) several courses that are core cirriculum consituents....ie...you may be a history major but you are still going to take EE, Calc, physics etc...
Sounds like a bull major bitching because he got a BS, not a BA. It works both ways... There are several courses that are core curriculum that are Humanities & Social Sciences. Hmm, 2 semesters of English, 2 semesters of Western Civ, 1 Semester of Naval History, 1 Semester of American Government, 2 Humanities/Social Sciences electives. All crap that my technical brain struggled with.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Ouch only 20th... apparently because of this there are big changes going their way
:eek:

http://www.capitalonline.com/cgi-bin/read/2007/08_17-52/NAV

I just like the fact that I now have something to hold above the Academy guys when it comes to their whining about how great their college education was since my alma mater was in the top 5

No academy guy would whine like that... they tend to whine like this...

zkinghalltt0.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, that's bullshit. I know we take a variety of core classes, but:
1. we receive a BS, not a BA
2. my whole time there we were always being told that it's an engineering school and that we're being trained to handle the technical environment of the fleet
3. Cavt, grow up and eafd

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like a bull major bitching because he got a BS, not a BA. It works both ways... There are several courses that are core curriculum that are Humanities & Social Sciences. Hmm, 2 semesters of English, 2 semesters of Western Civ, 1 Semester of Naval History, 1 Semester of American Government, 2 Humanities/Social Sciences electives. All crap that my technical brain struggled with.

Your point is as valid as mine. Don't mistake what I am saying...we are saying the same thing. A school that forces all majors to take a core curriculum of some science, social science, humanities etc...are by definition, liberal arts schools. Its all part of a sound education, regardless of major...that's the point, and that's how I managed my degree despite not having to. I was a "bull" (whatever the hell that means at Cornell) major (intl. rel and econ) and took many hard science and engineering courses because I was interested...let's not turn this into a stone throwing match.

3. Cavt, grow up and eafd

I see you got alot out of your liberal education...:rolleyes:;)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^Damn. Haven't heard that one in a while. Oddly enough, I just found my EAFD t-shirt while packing some boxes yesterday in preparation for moving to my new house. My wife said something like, "Baby, were you a firefighter or something?" Not quite.

phrogpilot73

That "EAFD" must be relatively new... We were too busy explaining why we wanted to fly planes, or that we hope there's a Friday parade...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
That "EAFD" must be relatively new... We were too busy explaining why we wanted to fly planes, or that we hope there's a Friday parade...

It's not that new, just sounds like you weren't down with the cool kids while you were there :icon_tong;)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The only ones I got were the Budweiser, Jack Daniels and the red communist one. I almost bought the EAFD one though.

phrogpilot73

The only ones I got were the Budweiser, Jack Daniels and the red communist one. I almost bought the EAFD one though.
Yeah, I'm getting old... There were precisely two underground t-shirts while I was there. Budweiser and Jack Daniels. Red Communist one? EAFD one? Yeah - nope.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The red commie one came out two years ago. You also missed the Academy Set-Asides after Prof whatever his name was wrote a letter about the admission policy. The only other ones I remember were a Heineken one, a Corona one, Severn Discomfort (after SoCo), navy coed herndon and some other ones.