• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm calling you out. That is a Star Wars referance and you are just trying to make me look ignorant of the franchise. I don't look so dumb now, do I?
I actually wasn't trying to make a Star Wars reference but I like the way your mind works!

+1

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So if someone on this site says “the F-14 is a Navy jet” are you the gentleman who chimes in to say “actually the F-14 is an Air Force jet not Navy cuz the IRIAF is an Air Force”?

You made a declarative statement that was just plain wrong, then get your knickers in a twist when it is pointed out? Start a briefing like that to folks who know better and you will immediately torpedo your credibility.

Pointing out that you were wrong wasn't the main point of my post though, it was to show that the lessons we learned that led to the introduction of the MRAP in US service are not new by any stretch, they're at least 50 years old by now to anyone who studies recent counter-insurgency operations from Rhodesia, Namibia and southern Lebanon (where more modern IED's were first commonly used in the Middle East against Israel by Hezbollah) which all happened well before 2001. We could also likely glean a few other military and policital lessons from those conflicts as well.

So the value to a foreign military power in exploiting the MRAPs in Afghanistan are going to be pretty minimal, the same is true of most of the equipment that has been captured by the Taliban, which is certainly a bounty to them in some cases it isn't any great technological loss to us. Most of the contemporary armored vehicle designs from the last 20 years incorporate many of the lessons of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan into their designs to include that our adversaries, like Russia and their Typhoon AFV's:

BTR/VPK-7829 - K-16/17 Bumerang:

And numerous 'original' Chinese designs:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Or Libya.
Yeah man, Libya is super complicated (no sarcasm). You’ve got Russia and France allied on one side, Turkey on the other, the son of Gaddafi looking like he’ll run for president, and the US steering pretty clear of the whole place (for now).

Treetop Flyer

pilot
While the amount of equipment now in the Taliban’s hands is significant that listing is for the inventory of the Afghan Armed Forces before they collapsed and much of the that is either no longer in country, especially in the case of many of the aircraft, or is nonfunctional.
No doubt. And as discussed it’s not cutting edge stuff or in some cases terribly useful for them. Still a ton of weapons and equipment they can use.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the Taliban won't be inclined to cozy to China because of its treatment of Uighurs. And who would do business with them as if this is 2002? I think we will find they have business partners, including possibly technical support of abandoned military equipment. Time will tell.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
So the Taliban won't be inclined to cozy to China because of its treatment of Uighurs. And who would do business with them as if this is 2002? I think we will find they have business partners, including possibly technical support of abandoned military equipment. Time will tell.

Shack. Just remember, the ANSDF and Afghan civilians were Muslim too, just like the Uighurs are. And look what the Taliban did to them.

Cash is king, and the Taliban wants to sell what China is buying.