• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, the MRAP didn’t even exist before Iraq/Afghanistan. One could call the MRAP not very cutting edge, but if IEDs remain part of the 21st century battlefield I think China/Russia will try to reverse engineer them (if they haven’t already).

The MRAP most definitely did exist before 2000, just not by that name. What we think of MRAPs actually finds its roots in the Rhodesian War, where government forces had to contend with mines and IED's planted on the roads by the anti-government forces. The Rhodesian military created several crude but effective vehicles to counter that tactic. Both the anti-government tactics and the vehicles used to counter them migrated to Namibia and Angola where South Africa and its allies were fighting against the Angolan government, allied with the Cubans, and the rebels it backed in Namibia. South Africa, with a much more formidable industrial base than Rhodesia, then started creating and fielding what we now know as MRAP's.

Several of the vehicles that we used as MRAP's were in fact variants of latter generation South African-designed armored vehicles.

Military history, good for more than just the occasional quiz contest questions.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The MRAP most definitely did exist before 2000, just not by that name. What we think of MRAPs actually finds its roots in the Rhodesian War, where government forces had to contend with mines and IED's planted on the roads by the anti-government forces. The Rhodesian military created several crude but effective vehicles to counter that tactic. Both the anti-government tactics and the vehicles used to counter them migrated to Namibia and Angola where South Africa and its allies were fighting against the Angolan government, allied with the Cubans, and the rebels it backed in Namibia. South Africa, with a much more formidable industrial base than Rhodesia, then started creating and fielding what we now know as MRAP's.

Several of the vehicles that we used as MRAP's were in fact variants of latter generation South African-designed armored vehicles.

Military history, good for more than just the occasional quiz contest questions.
I had forgotten that the initial MRAPs were from South Africa.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Rhodesian War, where government forces had to contend with mines and IED's planted on the roads by the anti-government forces
And in the same era, roadside bombs figured heavily in the Angolan war of independence from Portugal (the war goes by a few names). Interesting fact, for a time the Portuguese military effort there included something like only seven helicopters (compare that with how many helicopters we used in the Vietnam War!). Their counterinsurgency campaign was very measured and patient, not an overwhelming approach nor a logistically "industrial" approach, and it ended mainly because of domestic politics. The rest is in books...

I had forgotten that the initial MRAPs were from South Africa.
We bought a lot of RG-31s, from South Africa in the early to mid 2000s, to use in Iraq while we were still spooling up our own homegrown MRAP designs and at the same time fumbling around with "up armored" Humvees.

The MRAP that you see in a lot of those Afghanistan pictures and in old Iraq pics is kind of an International Harvester dump truck chassis with a really thick metal box on top. It can carry a squad and then some, but it's pretty also bulky for a lot of roads in both theaters, from tight spaces in the city (the antennas would sometimes snag the low-hanging rat's nests of overhead electrical wires in urban Iraq) or narrow goat paths in rough terrain.

The RG-31 is a very good vehicle but make no mistake, its roots go back to the Apartheid era.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And in the same era, roadside bombs figured heavily in the Angolan war of independence from Portugal (the war goes by a few names). Interesting fact, for a time the Portuguese military effort there included something like only seven helicopters (compare that with how many helicopters we used in the Vietnam War!). Their counterinsurgency campaign was very measured and patient, not an overwhelming approach nor a logistically "industrial" approach, and it ended mainly because of domestic politics. The rest is in books...

A very similar story in Rhodesia, where the small but well-trained military and police forces backed by an equally well-trained but very small aerial force fought and a lot more often than not defeated tens of thousands of anti-government forces for well over a decade. A Marine's war college paper I read called it possibly the 'best counter-insurgency force of the 20th Century' and he may not be far off the mark. In the end though it was again politics that decided the outcome of the conflict as it did in Algeria, Vietnam and Afghanistan.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Removing a drive shaft is well short of permanently disabling a helo. Parts are out there. The Iranians kept F-14s flying for a long long time. And it wasn't like there was an existing world wide support and supply network like there is for Phrogs. Taking a saw to a couple key places would ensure any helo would never fly again. Would take no more than 20-30 minutes depending on aircraft and tools. I am quite sure it took longer than that to remove the #1 drive shaft. But hey, what do I know? Guys smarter than me planned our withdrawal from Afghanistan. Right?

That's part of what I mean when I say if they want the parts badly enough then they'll find a way, but it's a question of willpower and resources.

The Iranian F-14s aren't an apples to apples comparison. Iran may be a lot of things but technologically backward is not one of them. And maybe they step up and put those phrogs back in the air, which they're certainly capable of doing and they do enjoy poking us in the eye, but again, the propaganda value from that would come down to "so what?"

As has been mentioned by others I seriously doubt the Taliban will be able to maintain the aircraft and much of the rest of the more complex equipment they captured in any sort of useful capacity. The Afghan military prior to their fall had trouble themselves keeping their equipment running without significant external assistance both in men and material.

Iran had a significant industrial base, an educated populace along with significant resources to buy equipment to keep their American equipment maintained in a somewhat useful fashion. The Taliban have hardly any of that. Previously they could keep only a handful, as in a literal handful, of aircraft from the previous Soviet-backed regime in working order and I doubt their technical expertise has expanded since then.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some general ideas that could have helped:

Know how many Americans are in the country, and maybe even where.

Listen to experts saying not to abandon Bagram.

Plan ahead to identify and vet Afghans we want to get out.

Have a plan to establish a perimeter so our allies can’t see videos of our supposed afghan allies plummeting to their deaths as we flee.

Just some basic stuff but hey I’m no expert.

A serious question, how useful would Bagram have been when Afghanistan collapsed? It is roughly 50km by air and 60-70 km by road to Kabul. I presume it would have been much more difficult for vast majority of the evacuees to get to Bagram than Kabul International, with many likely having to be transported by air from Kabul to Bagram. It would have made more sense to me to leave a more sizable contingent at HKIA if that was possible, in the event that everything went to shit like it did.

It seems to be a more realistic option but I've also never been there so don't have first-hand knowledge of how difficult or realistic either of those options were.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As has been mentioned by others I seriously doubt the Taliban will be able to maintain the aircraft and much of the rest of the more complex equipment they captured in any sort of useful capacity. The Afghan military prior to their fall had trouble themselves keeping their equipment running without significant external assistance both in men and material.

Iran had a significant industrial base, an educated populace along with significant resources to buy equipment to keep their American equipment maintained in a somewhat useful fashion. The Taliban have hardly any of that. Previously they could keep only a handful, as in a literal handful, of aircraft from the previous Soviet-backed regime in working order and I doubt their technical expertise has expanded since then.
All true, but it is still possible they can get foreign help maintaining more complex equipment. Russian, Turk, Chinese, Qatari, etc. All of the aforementioned would be happy to look the other way if said equipment was used for purposes the US and West found objectionable.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
A serious question, how useful would Bagram have been when Afghanistan collapsed? It is roughly 50km by air and 60-70 km by road to Kabul. I presume it would have been much more difficult for vast majority of the evacuees to get to Bagram than Kabul International, with many likely having to be transported by air from Kabul to Bagram. It would have made more sense to me to leave a more sizable contingent at HKIA if that was possible, in the event that everything went to shit like it did.

It seems to be a more realistic option but I've also never been there so don't have first-hand knowledge of how difficult or realistic either of those options were.
I haven’t been to either place either. I mentioned it because apparently that was what advocated and overruled by the administration. Using a more remote base would have reduced the reliance on the Taliban for security as well. From that standpoint things could have gone much, much worse.

taxi1

pilot
I haven’t been to either place either. I mentioned it because apparently that was what advocated and overruled by the administration. Using a more remote base would have reduced the reliance on the Taliban for security as well. From that standpoint things could have gone much, much worse.
When I was at Bagram in 2008 there were regular efforts to penetrate the wire. I don’t know what was around it, being a heads-down fobbit, but it seemed to be in Indian country, so to speak.

Hair Warrior

Contributor

You are being pedantic. Clearly I meant the US DoD model MRAP of which the entire acquisition cycle began years after 9/11. Did we roll into Iraq in 2003 with MRAPs? No, of course not, bc they weren’t in the US inventory yet.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
When I was at Bagram in 2008 there were regular efforts to penetrate the wire. I don’t know what was around it, being a heads-down fobbit, but it seemed to be in Indian country, so to speak.
Bastion is the only place in Afg I’ve been other than flying, and was out in the desert and as a result apparently got a lot less IDF than Kandahar. It’s a good thing the Taliban mostly stuck with the plan because the airlift wouldn’t have worked under fire.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You are being pedantic. Clearly I meant the US DoD model MRAP of which the entire acquisition cycle began years after 9/11. Did we roll into Iraq in 2003 with MRAPs? No, of course not, bc they weren’t in the US inventory yet.
As others have mentioned there's really a family of MRAP vehicles since numerous different designs were produced to meet the need. I don't know if they ever settled on a common design.

But the point they're making is that it's not a super high tech grab by the Taliban because its highly proliferated and based on a decades old design.