• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

SlickAg

pilot
So? And Afghanistan wasn't a war. Congress declares war and they didn't. Two can play games with words. I was comparing the "foot print and casualties" as a matter of costs to TWO different military operations. Occupation post WWII AND the long time forward basing in those countries. I am sure that was pretty clear to most folks reading my post. No going to waste any more breath. Thanks for posting on topic.
It isn't 1941 anymore. Congress is done declaring wars. We both know that. We lost SIGNIFICANTLY more troops in Afghanistan (and Iraq) than Japan, Germany, and Korea combined. Whether or not it was an official "war" is immaterial. We lost a LOT of our greatest treasure there: American lives. And now we have nothing to show for it.

Thank you for your Cold War service, and perhaps Desert Shield/Storm and OSW. But, comparing that with OEF, OIF, OND, OIR, and the other trendy abbreviations is a non-starter. Afghanistan (and Iraq) was my generation's Vietnam. There's a reason why there was such a public backlash against the horrific and unsatisfying ending. I was as gung-ho as the next guy about getting my chance to serve my nation in a meaningful way. And now, I'm left with a horrible empty feeling that it was all for nothing. I'm not the only one. The backlash about the way it ended is real. As is the distrust about the direction of our civilian leadership going forward.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
It isn't 1941 anymore. Congress is done declaring wars. We both know that. We lost SIGNIFICANTLY more troops in Afghanistan (and Iraq) than Japan, Germany, and Korea combined. Whether or not it was an official "war" is immaterial. We lost a LOT of our greatest treasure there: American lives. And now we have nothing to show for it.

Thank you for your Cold War service, and perhaps Desert Shield/Storm and OSW. But, comparing that with OEF, OIF, OND, OIR, and the other trendy abbreviations is a non-starter. Afghanistan (and Iraq) was my generation's Vietnam. There's a reason why there was such a public backlash against the horrific and unsatisfying ending. I was as gung-ho as the next guy about getting my chance to serve my nation in a meaningful way. And now, I'm left with a horrible empty feeling that it was all for nothing. I'm not the only one. The backlash about the way it ended is real. As is the distrust about the direction of our civilian leadership going forward.

Hate to break it to you bud, but AFG hasn’t been a “war” since probably 2016. You had a better chance of catching a round to the dome in south central Chicago than AFG. Either that or you really need to adjust what your concept of a “war” is in your mind.

SlickAg

pilot
Hate to break it to you bud, but AFG hasn’t been a “war” since probably 2016. You had a better chance of catching a round to the dome in south central Chicago than AFG. Either that or you really need to adjust what your concept of a “war” is in your mind.
Tell that to the families of the 12 Marines and Soldier who just got killed. And the parents of the kids who just got wasted in the “righteous” accidental kill. Bud.

I bet them and their families wish they were doing shore duty at Great Lakes and taking their chances living in Ch-Iraq instead of deploying to Afghanistan to finish off the non-war.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Tell that to the families of the 12 Marines and Soldier who just got killed. And the parents of the kids who just got wasted in the “righteous” accidental kill. Bud.

I bet them and their families wish they were doing shore duty at Great Lakes and taking their chances living in Ch-Iraq instead of deploying to Afghanistan to finish off the non-war.

Interesting. I don’t think any of those families really give a shit wether you or I call something a “war” or not. I bet those families wished a lot of things happened prior to that day. That all aside, AFG was a very low intensity conflict - at best - since roughly 2015. Do you really want me to pull up the OFS DoD casualty reports and compare them to Chicago?

…and since you or and I can’t talk to their families then what the fuck is your point? Calling something a different name or labeling things a certain way in no way diminishes their sacrifice or service. Maybe you should check your emotions.

SlickAg

pilot
Interesting. I don’t think any of those families really give a shit wether you or I call something a “war” or not. I bet those families wished a lot of things happened prior to that day. That all aside, AFG was a very low intensity conflict - at best - since roughly 2015. Do you really want me to pull up the OFS DoD casualty reports and compare them to Chicago?

…and since you or and I can’t talk to their families then what the fuck is your point? Calling something a different name or labeling things a certain way in no way diminishes their sacrifice or service. Maybe you should check your emotions.
I'm not sure what your point is, but you're the one who jumped into this little discussion about Armies of Occupation and comparing this "low intensity conflict" to post World War Two Japan and Germany, and post 1953 Korea.

I know that Chicago is more dangerous than Afghanistan. And I can look at the casualty reports just as easily as you, or anyone else with an internet connection.

Maybe the guy who should check his emotions is the one cursing in his posts...and that's you, bud.

SlickAg

pilot
Says the guy virtue signaling by using dead Marines to prove a point.
I was using the dead troops and dead civilians to prove that service in Afghanistan is just a little bit more dangerous than the Armies of Occupation. That’s not virtue signaling, that’s explaining differences between a “hot” and “cold” war. So yes, AFG had cooled down significantly since the mid 2010s, but it sure heated back up in a hurry.

Virtue signaling would be like what you did, self-righteously lecturing me and saying I’m not entitled to my opinion since I haven’t gotten to talk to the dead troops’ families. Clearly, this is an emotional subject for you, but I’m still not sure what your point is.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Jesus...I'm so glad I stayed out of this thread. I just attempted to read through it and tapped out on page 17. Skipped to 46, realized I missed and hit 44. Successfully skipped to 46. @Hotdogs and @SlickAg...this ones for you: