• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kneeboards For New PCL's

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Concur. Besides, if you do go to anything other than a jet, you'll have a guy next to you who can manage all the paperwork for you while you're flying, and vice versa.
Or a jet w/ a FO. :D If you're nice to your PRs (and you're in a jet), they can sew a strap directly on to your G-suit. Not exactly "by the book" but lots of folks, including me, have them.

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
TurnandBurn55 said:
I jam my PCL right underneath my kneeboard (between my thigh and the board) and it fits great...

PCL in my navbag outside pocket. Checklists under my kneeboard (between thigh and board) when not in use. When using my PCL (i.e. emergency), it goes in the same place as the checklist. Worked for 2000+ tacair hours.

130Gunner

Okay, not looking to get crucified here - just wondering.

How in the %$#! is a checklist managed in the Navy? I know - I'll probably get 8th grade level instruction on this later (like everything else in DoD) so this is mainly out of curiousity. I have the PCL, then I have a preflight handout with a bunch of papers stapled together that has split-pages printed in the back that appear to be made to go into checklist sleeves, and then some more pages somewhere around here that are in the same format. When do I use what and where does it go?

The Navy gave me an empty checklist - what goes in there and which one do I use when flying?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It'll be a race to see who responds first, I can see...

You've got a couple of things there. The PCL is what you'll use in the aircraft. The paper version of the checklist has extra stuff on it like the script of what you're supposed to say when ("Battery above 10 volts, ignition light on, oil pressure light off, blah blah blah"). You can use that to study for the CPTs but they'll take it away from you after your first couple of CPTs. The empty "blue brains" is for whatever you want to put in there. Things like your kiddie approach plates (which you haven't gotten yet, probably) and the TW-x On Scene Commander checklist. As a student, you won't need a whole lot in there. You'll see IPs w/ more in there for various reasons, and it might not all be flight school stuff. I had one for the fleet that was my own, plus we had squadron blue brains w/ local/tactical info.

Hopefully that made sense.

130Gunner

Got it. I think. hehe The PCL is a pretty cool layout, though a little awkward. When running a checklist in the Navy, is it the same way as we do it? As in, it's pretty much expected that you know what you're doing, but you will have the checklist out and do the appropriate challenge/response to the items that require it as you go along.

I did see some OSC stuff, but I haven't gotten through all of the errata sheets yet so I'm not sure if I have any approach plates or anything yet.

Thanks for the heads up! Different from the AF way, but I don't see why it won't work. Just another habit to break. And re-learn in 7 months...:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From what I understand, it's the same way you're used to. We just have more memory items (or bold-faced for you ascotted ones). The actual description of what to do is in the NATOPS, but yes, you challenge, do the appropriate action, and then read the reply.

Chubby

Am I the only one who doesn't like the new PCL? I like the old version WAY better. But I guess to each their own.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
gatordev said:
It'll be a race to see who responds first, I can see...

You've got a couple of things there. The PCL is what you'll use in the aircraft. The paper version of the checklist has extra stuff on it like the script of what you're supposed to say when ("Battery above 10 volts, ignition light on, oil pressure light off, blah blah blah").

Hrmm...

I think most tacair types would say the PCL stays buried somewhere until an emergency comes up. We have a good gouge checklist that takes care of all the standard stuff and the takeoff/landing checks can be brought up by the computer. Generally checklists are done by memory, looking at the kneeboard just to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When he gets there, he can do it that way, but since he's in Primary...

And I'm sure every community is different. Where I'm from, you use the checklist and don't do the challenges from memory (the actual procedures you do from memory, of course). That's not to say that you aren't running through the steps at the same time the copilot is opening his mouth, but you still use it.

It's interesting to see how the TacAir community has it's own checklist in addition to Natops. I guess that's where maybe the original blue brains checklist idea came from. It's a big no-no in certain other communities.

130Gunner

Okay then - same animal, different name. Coming from the community I was in, using anything other than official checklist while doing procedures will get you hooked. And quick. Of course, you can add anything you want to help out the SA, so long as it is marked TRAINING USE ONLY.

Question for you guys in Tacair - (this is exaggeration here for clarity, I know no one would EVER do this...) what if you landed gear up because you weren't using the published checklist? In other words, is that the way it's supposed to be, or just "the way it's done?" (Feel free to deny and/or make counteraccusations if the answer SECRET/NOAIRFORCE)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Hrmm...

I think most tacair types would say the PCL stays buried somewhere until an emergency comes up. We have a good gouge checklist that takes care of all the standard stuff and the takeoff/landing checks can be brought up by the computer. Generally checklists are done by memory, looking at the kneeboard just to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Yep, in T-45 land, we don't touch the PCL unless it is an emergency, and even then if you can get someone else to read it to you (base, wingman, etc), all the better.

Our standard checklists are pretty much done by memory because speed (and accuracy) is the name of the game.

The "gouge" checklists we have on our kneeboards is approved by CTW-1 for use in the airplane.

As far as landing gear up... you have the takeoff and landing checklists in front of your face on the instrument panel.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Our standard checklists are pretty much done by memory because speed (and accuracy) is the name of the game.

The "gouge" checklists we have on our kneeboards is approved by CTW-1 for use in the airplane.

I dont care what you fly memorizing checklists is bad, being very familiar is good. They are checklists for a reason. Dont be the guy that has a engine fire or something on start and not have the PCL out.

I didnt know any better at the time but Ic ant believe the training command gets away with changing NATOPs checklists. A guy I knew going back as an IP did his first CPT in Corpus and busted out his NATOPS PCL and started the procedures to start the airplane and Sim guy X starts yelling (apparently it happens to IUTs as well).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
I dont care what you fly memorizing checklists is bad, being very familiar is good.
It's standard in our community to do things like the landing checklist from memory, others are challenge and response. Fly's not talking about EPs, just some normal procedures.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This must be a helo vs. pointy nose thing (and the prop guys can chime in) because you don't do anything w/out a PCL in hand.

@Skid, they don't yell at you anymore, because of what happend w/ the guy and not turning on his lights (as discussed in another thread), so now they teach to use the PCL. There's still some IPs who use blue brains (I've been told), but it's not right, as per Stan.