• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kneeboards For New PCL's

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
The issue kneeboards were alright for the old pocket check lists but they suck for the new ones:icon_rage Anyone have anything that works well with the new ones?

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Get the Soft-G Kneeboard, it works great. However, the only two places I've seen it are in the VT-28 PAO shop in Corpus and at "Wings" in Pensacola(Not "Wings and Things" right outside the gate). I'm talking about the store down Barrancas Ave on the left as your coming away from the front gate of the base. Good luck.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Can someone explain the obsession with putting your PCL on your kneeboard (whatever kind it may be)? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm curious why everyone get's wrapped up about it. I'm talking Primary, here, not the Tacair guys, as I can see the need.

As a stud, I would either throw my PCL up on the dash or put it in my leg pocket for PAs and such. You can also fit it in the map case if you don't have water in there, which again, can fit in your leg pocket. Now, with the new PCLs, they're even thinner although longer, so it probably won't fit in the front map case (haven't sat up front yet since they've been issued).

I'm wondering how long these new checklists are going to last. Seems like they're a bit more fragile.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
gatordev said:
Can someone explain the obsession with putting your PCL on your kneeboard (whatever kind it may be)? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm curious why everyone get's wrapped up about it. I'm talking Primary, here, not the Tacair guys, as I can see the need.

yeah that's a good question, I never had my pcl on my kneeboard in T34's or T45's. T-34's I tossed it in the mapcase, T45's I usually had it in a nav bag in a readily accessible pocket. It's not designed to sit on your kneeboard the entire flight, its way to awkward and you need that space to write shit down and for charts, approach plates, whatever. Myself and most guys I know have a kneeboard that you can attach binder rings to. The checklists used on every flight like prestart, engine start, instrument checks, etc, are all put in transparent sleeves and attached to the rings. When you are done with the checklists, you flip the sheets down and your notepad or whatever is underneath. This saves a lot of time and space, while keeping everything you need readily accessible.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Used to have the blue brains on my kneeboard in primary, but then we stopped using them for checklists and went over to the PCL. I toyed with putting the PCL on my kneeboard for about a day and hated having it get in my way. I usually would throw it in the map case, but later on I started to really use and abuse the dashboard, since it was easier to get at if you needed it. I could never imagine having to get a PCL out of a pocket if you actually needed it. It never seemed to come out very easily just sitting around...I couldn't imagine trying to get it out in a cramped cockpit while bad shit is happening.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
zippy said:
When did they change to new PCLs?

Last week...

And to answer the question of why not just make up blue brains for the checklists you will need all the time, well I don't know about others but my instructor specifically mentioned NOT to use those and to ONLY use the PCL...even then he wasn't too happy about gouging it up but that might be different with different instructors...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jamnww said:
Last week...

And to answer the question of why not just make up blue brains for the checklists you will need all the time, well I don't know about others but my instructor specifically mentioned NOT to use those and to ONLY use the PCL...even then he wasn't too happy about gouging it up but that might be different with different instructors...

I'm not saying to make a seperate blue brains for your checklist (which I agree, is a no-no). Obviously TW-1 has a different policy which was talked about in another thread. I'm asking as a whole why you put it in the kneeboard at all. As a stud in a T-34, you barely touch any kind of checklist, except maybe a BI gouge sheet or when starting or shutting down, so wasn't sure why it was needed, especially when damn near everything is a memory item.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
gatordev said:
I'm not saying to make a seperate blue brains for your checklist (which I agree, is a no-no). Obviously TW-1 has a different policy which was talked about in another thread. I'm asking as a whole why you put it in the kneeboard at all. As a stud in a T-34, you barely touch any kind of checklist, except maybe a BI gouge sheet or when starting or shutting down, so wasn't sure why it was needed, especially when damn near everything is a memory item.

Correct, most of the EPs are memory items but the checklists for starting, ground runup and so forth are NOT memory and are handled straight out of the PCL...thats what I was talking about...

The question I think is what to do with your PCL when you are done with your checklists and still have it somewhat handy? The onld PCL could be attached and hang free of the kneeboard which was handy yet out of the way but the new one cannot...at least not that I have figured out as of yet...

Reread your earlier post, good ideas on where to put it...guess it is personal preference...just some preferred to keep it on their kneeboards prior to the recent change in PCL.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
gatordev said:

As a (semi-kinda-maybe) tacair guy, i don't give a hoot...

I jam my PCL right underneath my kneeboard (between my thigh and the board) and it fits great...

In the T-2, I put it underneath my left knee, but that doesn't work in the Rhino since I hafta talk on Primary with me left foot...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Guess I should have worded that as "I can see how some may need it." Especially after my nav bag and approach plates managed to go just about everywhere the other day doing an inverted flight demo. Even though I thought I had things jammed in position, they came out and attacked me.

Crowbar

None
I had somebody tell me last week they put the blue brains in the front of the PCL (then toss it on the dash when not in use) to keep the kneeboard open for writing notes or holding approach plates. Anybody else try that and have success with it?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously, you do not need to be flying with your PCL on your kneeboard. The only things I keep on my kneeboard are condensed checklists and a snap-divert chart. The PCL goes in a leg pocket of my g-suit or my nav bag (if I bring it along). Never once in primary did I fly with a PCL on my kneeboard... always in the flight suit pocket.

The boldface you should have memorized, everything else, you'll have time to pull out the book. Just have it accessible.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Ok, just to clarify...I have never had to look at my PCL while flying and haven't had it on my kneeboard for a while now...and the ONLY reason I had it there at all was that it kept it handy for start and so forth...

Ok, so by the sound of it trouser pocket seems like a good place to keep it...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Crowbar:

I had a much simpler version of what you mentioned in the fleet. Just one or two plastic sleeves in my PCL. One was some HF freqs for SSB in case I ever got the chance to talk w/ my dad, and the other was a sonobuoy quick load matrix because they pulled it out of the PCL when they updated it. Otherwise all the other blue brain stuff was in my helmet bag hanging off my seat.